Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floaaa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2021
Hello,
Should I buy the 12 mini for 670€ or wait for the 13 mini for 800€?

The leaks suggest an almost non existent upgrade for the 13 mini, so the price reduction would be nice.

If you would buy a mini phone, which one would you choose?

Thanks!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
At this point I'd wait for the 12s/13 mini. We don't know the full details of what the new mini will include. If they upgrade the base storage or if they upgrade the RAM it would be worth the wait in my opinion. If they don't do either of those, then you're still getting a year newer device with a year longer software support. It's only about 1-2 months away. Of course if you need a phone now, then the 12 mini is a good buy.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
At this point I'd wait for the 12s/13 mini. We don't know the full details of what the new mini will include. If they upgrade the base storage or if they upgrade the RAM it would be worth the wait in my opinion. If they don't do either of those, then you're still getting a year newer device with a year longer software support. It's only about 1-2 months away. Of course if you need a phone now, then the 12 mini is a good buy.
Totally agree.

For 130€ I would wait for the 13 Mini or at least wait what it offers, 12 Mini prices with 3rd party retailers will fall even more then.

Considering 13 Mini will be the last Mini, I would prefer the latest device if I want to use it for several more years. You then would have the best Mini which was ever available.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Mini 13 is rumoured to be slightly thicker and have a bigger battery, so if the battery life is important to you, I would wait for 13 and decide then. Once 13 mini is out the prices of 12 mini should go even lower than now.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Considering 13 Mini will be the last Mini, I would prefer the latest device if I want to use it for several more years. You then would have the best Mini which was ever available.

Unless they will “downgrade” 13 mini to SE a year later, in which case it could stay around a while longer. By 2022-23 current mini’s tech (2 cameras and OLED screen) will be very common and déjà vu, but it could still sell well as an entry level small iPhone for about 500$. I find it hard to imagine they will keep the same 6-6S-7-8-SE2020 design much longer.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
iOS support is no longer a major consideration tbh. Given how the 6S and SE1 are still supported, the hypothetical “extra” year is not a big issue for most as they would have upgraded phones by then. Both 12 and 13 could also lose support at the same time.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
iOS support is no longer a major consideration tbh. Given how the 6S and SE1 are still supported, the hypothetical “extra” year is not a big issue for most as they would have upgraded phones by then. Both 12 and 13 could also lose support at the same time.
iPhone SE OG is barely hanging on by a string in terms of operating iOS 14.x. Remember lots of features in iOS 14 are not available on such an old device (chipsets and whatnot). I know as I had a 32GB iPhone SE OG before going to my 12 mini. 2GB Ram on that OG was painful for anything other than core app use.

Reactions: valleian

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Hello,

The leaks suggest an almost non existent upgrade for the 13 mini, so the price reduction would be nice.

Thanks!
Unless you’re in a hurry to upgrade now, I’d wait for the 12S/13 Mini to be released and watch some comparison videos and reviews. Personally I very much doubt that it’s a worthwhile upgrade, but I’d love to be proven wrong. The rumoured battery size increase is incremental.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello,

Thanks!

If you can wait to save another 130€ then wait it out.
New generation CPU/GPU, 20% est more efficient cores and entire SoC overall.
> we don't know if the rumoured SW in Camera to auto kill lens flare will come to the 12 series??
Slightly thicker,
increased battery life. Let's face it every 10 mAh is worth it in the mini over the other models in the lineup.
Slimmer FaceID bezel and hardware arrangement so more notification icons?
5G modem chip - more efficient - less battery drain.

If the chip and the modem are even 10% each more efficient on battery use, and the increased battery we should get close to another 2hrs full run out of the 13 vs 12 mini.

Let that money grow for you while you pontificate.

Last edited:

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Unless you need a phone now there is no reason not to wait. We're literally a month away from an official announcement. Obviously nobody knows what the 12s/13 Mini specs will be until they officially announce it but there are credible leakers with a track record of being correct who have said the iPhone will finally get a bump up from 64GB base to 128GB base. That combined with the small battery increase and new SoC make the 12s/13 Mini worth waiting for. Again, if you need a phone now get a phone now, otherwise the smart move is to wait.

Reactions: timeconsumer

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Unless they will “downgrade” 13 mini to SE a year later, in which case it could stay around a while longer. By 2022-23 current mini’s tech (2 cameras and OLED screen) will be very common and déjà vu, but it could still sell well as an entry level small iPhone for about 500$. I find it hard to imagine they will keep the same 6-6S-7-8-SE2020 design much longer.
Rumors from trusted analysts say the next SE will still have the same design, including 4.7inch display. Only 5G and newer chip and maybe some more unrelevant HW improvements. So I think as long as they sell the Mini which is at least till 09/22 there won't be a new SE design. So I agree the next SE next year must be old style. Otherwise they would cut into Mini sales.

2023/2024 SE4 is another thing to discuss. Or maybe keeping the 13 Mini as a lower priced device when iPhone 14 will be released.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Unless you need a phone now there is no reason not to wait. We're literally a month away from an official announcement. Obviously nobody knows what the 12s/13 Mini specs will be until they officially announce it but there are credible leakers with a track record of being correct who have said the iPhone will finally get a bump up from 64GB base to 128GB base. That combined with the small battery increase and new SoC make the 12s/13 Mini worth waiting for. Again, if you need a phone now get a phone now, otherwise the smart move is to wait.
Mike, I have not seen this rumour but really hope its true. I have 20 GB left on my iphone 12 Mini (64GB), but would be nice to get that extra headroom going forward.

To the OP though, try and hold out for another month if you can for the 13 models, and then you have a choice to get the 12 Mini even cheaper than it is now, or opt for the 13 mini.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
If you need (not want) a phone now, then the choice is clear. A 12 Mini it is - but bear in mind in some locations, they are hard to find - as they weren't exactly flying off the shelves, Apple appears to have lost faith in them. Oddly enough, it seems that Apple consumers - seeking something more 'mobile' - opted more often for the much cheaper SE than the overpriced Mini. Go figure.

That said - and despite the rumour mill - one wonders how enthusiastic Apple is going to be to release another selling failure, especially with some internals being at a sourcing premium. So yeah, there could be a 13 Mini - but if that also includes a spike in storage, bear in mind that could include a spike in price, making it even less desirable for some. Some consumers might just wait for the (also rumoured) 3rd version of the SE, (rumoured) released in the spring.

I just moved to the 12 Mini from an XR with a phone plan coming to an end. Could have waited until September to see what was then promised and wait another month or two before seeing the actual phones, but frankly, there's only so many ways Apple can now reinvent the wheel with their devices and OS, and little of the (rumoured) products I have seen discussed warranted the wait or potential price increase. Upgradability is always an issue, sure - but I put to you many people get rid of their phones before the OS upgrades (seems to be around 5 years) come to an end - so that's just a red herring. Unless Apple has plans of sticking an M1 in a phone with a completely OS file structure, at which point all of our phones are toast.

Reactions: Soulman

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If you need (not want) a phone now, then the choice is clear. A 12 Mini it is - but bear in mind in some locations, they are hard to find - as they weren't exactly flying off the shelves, Apple appears to have lost faith in them. Oddly enough, it seems that Apple consumers - seeking something more 'mobile' - opted more often for the much cheaper SE than the overpriced Mini. Go figure.

That said - and despite the rumour mill - one wonders how enthusiastic Apple is going to be to release another selling failure, especially with some internals being at a sourcing premium. So yeah, there could be a 13 Mini - but if that also includes a spike in storage, bear in mind that could include a spike in price, making it even less desirable for some. Some consumers might just wait for the (also rumoured) 3rd version of the SE, (rumoured) released in the spring.

I just moved to the 12 Mini from an XR with a phone plan coming to an end. Could have waited until September to see what was then promised and wait another month or two before seeing the actual phones, but frankly, there's only so many ways Apple can now reinvent the wheel with their devices and OS, and little of the (rumoured) products I have seen discussed warranted the wait or potential price increase. Upgradability is always an issue, sure - but I put to you many people get rid of their phones before the OS upgrades (seems to be around 5 years) come to an end - so that's just a red herring. Unless Apple has plans of sticking an M1 in a phone with a completely OS file structure, at which point all of our phones are toast.

My guess is that the entire 12 line will be dropped to make way for the 13's.
Similar to the 11's when the 12 came out (although they kept the base 11).

So while 12 minis will still be available through carrier's remaining stock, they won't be available officially through the Apple store.

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
My guess is that the entire 12 line will be dropped to make way for the 13's.
Similar to the 11's when the 12 came out (although they kept the base 11).

So while 12 minis will still be available through carrier's remaining stock, they won't be available officially through the Apple store.
The regular 12 will very likely stay in the line-up

Reactions: Saladin12

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
Maybe you should look around more? I got mine for 600€ and it was cheaper than iPhone 11 (only the blue one. The store had a night sale).

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Totally agree.

For 130€ I would wait for the 13 Mini or at least wait what it offers, 12 Mini prices with 3rd party retailers will fall even more then.

if they are discontinuing it, there will be relatively no upgrades to it.. plus the 12 is a great phone! Battery could be better but its so small, what do you expect :)

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Mike, I have not seen this rumour but really hope its true. I have 20 GB left on my iphone 12 Mini (64GB), but would be nice to get that extra headroom going forward.

To the OP though, try and hold out for another month if you can for the 13 models, and then you have a choice to get the 12 Mini even cheaper than it is now, or opt for the 13 mini.
yeah i have a 64gb with only 15 left, do i run the risk of phone slow down??

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I suspect the 12 will replace the 11, and the XR will disappear completely. Remaining 12 line will be replaced by 13. Unlike current SE (11 guts in an 8's body), I have read speculation that the next SE might have closer to the 13's guts rather than the 12's, so that might negate the need for a 13 Mini at all.

Reactions: Soulman

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yeah, I suspect the 12 will replace the 11, and the XR will disappear completely. Remaining 12 line will be replaced by 13. Unlike current SE (11 guts in an 8's body), I have read speculation that the next SE might have closer to the 13's guts rather than the 12's, so that might negate the need for a 13 Mini at all.

Perhaps, however when the 12 was introduced, it was easier to slide the 11 down as a mid-range offering because of it’s inferior display.

There’s so little (rumoured) distinction between the 12 and 13.

Reactions: N69AP

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Perhaps, however when the 12 was introduced, it was easier to slide the 11 down as a mid-range offering because of it’s inferior display. There's so little (rumoured) distinction between the 12 and 13.

Rumour: A higher refresh rate display (120 Hz up from 60). This sparkly "Squirrel!" moment is seen as a positive improvement between 13 and 12 by potential buyers. I suspect the majority of users won't be able to see the difference (unless encouraged by a salesman of the PT Barnum ilk), but it sure sounds like an improvement! ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.