Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daschicago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
I have an iPhone 12 Pro currently running iOS 14.3. I have noticed that since having the new iPhone, it frequently has a problem automatically switching from WIFI to cellular data when I leave my home or other location where I have been using WIFI. When I try to use the internet (e.g. a Google search) nothing happens, apps hang or give me an error, web pages don't load, etc....I assume because it is still trying to access the internet via WIFI. I have to go into settings to physically turn off WIFI so that the phone recognizes that it is no longer connected to WIFI and then it switches over to using cellular data (in my case, T-Mobile). After I do that, Google search works and I can use apps, etc. It is not every time I move between WIFI and cellular internet access, but it happens frequently enough to be very annoying. Is anyone else having this issue with their new iPhone? As far as I can remember, this has been an issue from day one (so starting with iOS 14). It was not an issue with my previous iPhone. I am not having the issue that others have reported where they lose their 5G cellular connection

Reactions: Njiphoner

Marko58

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I have an iPhone 12 Pro currently running iOS 14.3. I have noticed that since having the new iPhone, it frequently has a problem automatically switching from WIFI to cellular data when I leave my home or other location where I have been using WIFI. When I try to use the internet (e.g. a Google search) nothing happens, apps hang or give me an error, web pages don't load, etc....I assume because it is still trying to access the internet via WIFI. I have to go into settings to physically turn off WIFI so that the phone recognizes that it is no longer connected to WIFI and then it switches over to using cellular data (in my case, T-Mobile). After I do that, Google search works and I can use apps, etc. It is not every time I move between WIFI and cellular internet access, but it happens frequently enough to be very annoying. Is anyone else having this issue with their new iPhone? As far as I can remember, this has been an issue from day one (so starting with iOS 14). It was not an issue with my previous iPhone. I am not having the issue that others have reported where they lose their 5G cellular connection
Yes! Same problem, same carrier!
What is the fix?
All apps are set for cellular data.

daschicago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Apparently you and I are the only ones with this problem!

I don't have a fix per se, but what I noticed is that the new iPhone seems to prefer Wifi over Cellular, even Wifi that you aren't really connected too or doesn't have access to the internet and it will continue to try to access websites via that (bad) network vs failing over to cellular data. For example, a while ago I must have joined an XfinityWifi wifi network. So what I think (I am not sure) was happening was that whenever I was in the vicinity of an XfinityWifi network the phone would gravitate toward that network...even if it couldn't really connect me or get access to the internet. And rather than quickly timing out and then trying the connection via T-Mobile cellular data, the phone would just hang trying to access the internet via XfinityWifi. So I told it to forget XfinityWifi and it seems like I have the problem less frequently now...although it has not gone away completely. Let me know if that helps you

Reactions: douglasb7

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
First thing that comes to mind is did you get a new SIM card with the device or transfer one from an older device? An older SIM card could be the problem. Here’s what I would do if I were experiencing this. First do a hard reset. Next update to 14.4. If that doesn’t fix it, try a reset of network settings. Is “Ask to join WiFi networks” enabled? If so, try turning it off. Last thing I would do is reinstall from an iCloud backup.

daschicago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Thanks...i got a new SIM with the new iPhone back in December so an old SIM is not the issue. I have done numerous hard resets (and at least 1 network reset) over the course of trying to resolve this and other problems (e.g. missing group chat messages) with the phone. I am running 14.4 (installed it this AM)...too early to tell if it has solved this problem.

daschicago

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2020
Yes, I can try that...although it is a nice feature to have on when you move from Wifi network to Wifi network...and it seems like the phone should be smart enough to realize when it doesn't have an internet connection via wifi and switch automatically to cellular data...faster than 5+!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First thing that comes to mind is did you get a new SIM card with the device or transfer one from an older device? An older SIM card could be the problem. Here’s what I would do if I were experiencing this. First do a hard reset. Next update to 14.4. If that doesn’t fix it, try a reset of network settings. Is “Ask to join WiFi networks” enabled? If so, try turning it off. Last thing I would do is reinstall from an iCloud backup.

First thing that comes to my mind is Reset Network Settings in IOS.
Next to contact the carrier.
Have them check any SOC's remaining that have no been pushed out from your billing account and network switch to update the existing SIM card. A new SIM doesn't necessarily resolve an issue like this.
Thereafter I'd look to replace the SIM card.

Reactions: kazmac

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
First thing that comes to my mind is Reset Network Settings in IOS.
Next to contact the carrier.
Have them check any SOC's remaining that have no been pushed out from your billing account and network switch to update the existing SIM card. A new SIM doesn't necessarily resolve an issue like this.
Thereafter I'd look to replace the SIM card.
Good stuff. This should be a resolvable issue.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Njiphoner

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2021
Following @daschicago

I have the same issue with my brand new iPhone 12 Pro and was hoping that upgrading from my XR and to T-Mobile from Sprint now on 5G would have corrected any of these issues, but just searched for this topic as I’m sitting on my couch maybe 8’ from my router with full WiFi bars shown and only 1 bar cell (its typical with sprint/t-mobile unfortunately) and couldn’t get the search to load.

I’m going to try to Reset Network Settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings)

@Jeff Flowerday to answer your question, yes I have WiFi Assist turned On.

Last edited:

albertoroldan

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
Same issue here, it definetly has to be carrier related or something because I had my 12 Pro Max since launch with none of these issues while I was with Vodafone. As soon as I moved to Yoigo (another carrier from Spain) this started happening and now every time I leave a Wi-Fi network I have to turn airplane mode on and off to be able to properly use cellular.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Same issue here, it definetly has to be carrier related or something because I had my 12 Pro Max since launch with non of these issues while I was with Vodafone. As soon as I moved to Yoigo (another carrier from Spain) this started happening and now every time I leave a Wi-Fi network I have to turn airplane mode on and off to be able to properly use cellular.
Wow, now I don’t know what to do, I’m still on iOS 13.7 Do you know anyone having this issues with Movistar? Because that’s my carrier.

Nugh

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
Hi... same issue here. I am in South Africa with Vodacom. Experienced this issue with my iPhone X back in 2019. Eventually gave up and thought that perhaps my phone has a network hardware issue. Just got a brand new iPhone12 Pro MAX, brand new SIM card and still having this issue. Vodacom says they will investigate.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Wifi should always be tuned off when leaving home, you guys saying even if you turn off wifi it won’t go back to LTE?

Nugh

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2021
Wifi should always be tuned off when leaving home, you guys saying even if you turn off wifi it won’t go back to LTE?
no it doesn't. I have to switch the phone into airplane mode and then switch it off to refresh the network in order for apps (such as WhatsApp) or any other app needing internet connectivity to work again. Vodocam in SA says this complaint seems to be a common with iPhone users. no one else in my household has this problem (Samsung phones).

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Update: I’ve fixed it resetting the network settings, seems that it’s working as expected now.
I am going to update today, I will report any issues with 14.4.2 using Movistar, if I have any. Everything has been smooth on iOS 13.7 so far, but it is time to update. Luckily, a clean install will give me the best performance and less chances of this issues happening.

RealJC123

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Hello all. I am having a rough time with my 12 Pro since I got it in November. I can not use the phone in my home office and other areas in the house or close to the house like the drive way without it disconnecting. It appears to be an issue when I get just far enough from WiFi. I do use WiFi calling most of the time because I have weak signal in the house, but not outside. I have been through 6 months of back and forth with the carrier (AT&T) and Apple and my ISP. I have done every imaginable step, Sim change, resets, updates, new router, even a new 12 Pro etc. Apple says it’s everyone but them and everyone else says it’s an iPhone issue. My X, 11, and 11 Pro DO NOT have this issue at all. The common denominator is this 12 Pro. I see all kind of issues like this across the internet, but Apple won’t fix. This has been the worst iPhone experience I have ever had.

RealJC123

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Hello all. I am having a rough time with my 12 Pro since I got it in November. I can not use the phone in my home office and other areas in the house or close to the house like the drive way without it disconnecting. It appears to be an issue when I get just far enough from WiFi. I do use WiFi calling most of the time because I have weak signal in the house, but not outside. I have been through 6 months of back and forth with the carrier (AT&T) and Apple and my ISP. I have done every imaginable step, Sim change, resets, updates, new router, even a new 12 Pro etc. Apple says it’s everyone but them and everyone else says it’s an iPhone issue. My X, 11, and 11 Pro DO NOT have this issue at all. The common denominator is this 12 Pro. I see all kind of issues like this across the internet, but Apple won’t fix. This has been the worst iPhone experience I have ever had.
Just adding I am on 14.4.2 and I really believe it’s an issue with the phone switching between WiFi and cellular.

Chucky91

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2021
Hi... same issue here. I am in South Africa with Vodacom. Experienced this issue with my iPhone X back in 2019. Eventually gave up and thought that perhaps my phone has a network hardware issue. Just got a brand new iPhone12 Pro MAX, brand new SIM card and still having this issue. Vodacom says they will investigate.
Morning Nugh, I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 12 pro on Vodacom. Have you managed to find a solution?

hypermiling_guy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2021
Just got an iPhone 12 (July 2021), finding same exact crap happening. Have to use wifi calling indoors, and to make sure it doesnt occasionally drop the calls due to jumping back to cellular calling occasionally when the cellular signal is strong enough indoors, i have to turn on airplane mode (per the tech support folks). This has been my normal thing till now using my iPhone 8, and to get back to cellular calling outdoors, i just disable wifi & disable airplane mode to get back to the normal cell signal.

But .... Now that I'm doing the same thing on the iPhone 12, it won't reconnect to the cellular network (and I'm not even talking LTE here - even just the cellular voice network won't come up.) So, my phone is basically offline until I remember that it might not be connected (because i am not interested in staring at the screen constantly to see if its connected while i'm working and trying to be available for incoming calls)

BTW I bought the iPhone 12 because of an indication (or strong assertion) by an apple store employee that the 12 would have better reception than my iPhone 8, making me think that i would not have to keep switching to wifi calling indoors. But no such luck....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.