Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Taking into account all features and pros and cons (one having a better CPU, one having a third camera, one having a better finish, one having a slightly bigger screen, one having better night vision technology), and assuming you can get the same storage for the same price, is it better to get the iPhone 11 Pro or the iPhone 12 non-Pro?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Taking into account all features and pros and cons (one having a better CPU, one having a third camera, one having a better finish, one having a slightly bigger screen, one having better night vision technology), and assuming you can get the same storage for the same price, is it better to get the iPhone 11 Pro or the iPhone 12 non-Pro?
That’s a tough one. Why not get the 12 Pro and get best of both worlds?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
That’s a tough one. Why not get the 12 Pro and get best of both worlds?

Once the 12 Pros come out, 11 Pros will be flooded on eBay and I can probably get a 256GB model with AppleCare+ for about $650 (this would've cost $1350 brand new). I do this every year by getting the previous generation model as soon as the new one comes out.

If I can get an 11 Pro for $650, and willing to sacrifice for an iPhone 12 at $800, the 12 Pro at $999 is a bit out of the range I originally wanted to spend.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Compare yourself:

IMO, it's a no brainer and the iPhone 12 is the obvious choice here. The only advantages the 11 Pro has is a slightly better optical zoom on the camera and slightly higher max brightness. The iPhone 12 has A14, 5G, larger screen, more durable screen, MagSafe, and other camera/video enhancements that the 11 Pro doesn't actually have.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Unless you really want the optical zoom feature, I'd say go for the 12 which has the faster processor and other features as it should last you longer.

I'm "downgrading" to a Mini this time around and while I'll miss the optical zoom, I use it very occasionally and of those times I do use it, I'm frustrated due to its limited zoom, especially when taking pictures outside.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Unless you really want the optical zoom feature, I'd say go for the 12 which has the faster processor and other features as it should last you longer.

I'm "downgrading" to a Mini this time around and while I'll miss the optical zoom, I use it very occasionally and of those times I do use it, I'm frustrated due to its limited zoom, especially when taking pictures outside.

To add to this, the optical zoom on my 11 Pro Max never really looked clear unless it was only at like 2x (which is hardly zoomed IMO).

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
To add to this, the optical zoom on my 11 Pro Max never really looked clear unless it was only at like 2x (which is hardly zoomed IMO).

I think that's the thing, they're constrained by space, hence the limited optical zoom. When you switch to digital zoom, the quality inevitably goes down.

Reactions: Dwalls90

Cookie18

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
France
I went through this last night. I’ve decided to go for the 12. It came down to the fact that for me MagSafe, the new design, the much lighter phone, the bigger screen and the better cameras are worth spending the little extra.

I was really stuck between the two but when I thought about what I will actually appreciate on a daily basis the 12 became a no brainer.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011

Totally agree on the zoom since the telephoto is only 2X which is easily solved by taking two steps forward.

Reactions: ascender

MacSafe

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
But what about the battery? It's concerning my that the battery life downgraded over the 11 pro. Is it really that bad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.