Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Hi! I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 14.3. A few days ago, I noticed that my phone won’t go into cellular data section or in the about section in the settings app, nor would it make any phone calls or toggle cellular data from the control center. I restarted the phone and everything was fine. Until it happened again. When this happened, I also noticed I couldn’t refresh the App Store for updates. It also causes trouble sending pictures or links over iMessage. It now happens at least once a day and if I don’t restart it, it goes into a state where I can interact with the screen but no apps will open. I can only scroll and switch between open apps. The buttons don’t work in this state either (unless I’m hard resetting). I’ve tried resetting the network settings and all the settings (which helped for a few hours). But now it happened once again. I signed up hoping to find a solution. I really don’t want to go through a full restore. Is this affecting anyone else? I can’t find anything about it anywhere.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
My wife is experiencing a similar issue with her 11 pro Max, iOS 14.3. Hers seems to be limited to using the phone app and the screen will just go black and freeze. It necessitates a hard reset to resolve. I had her reset network settings today but will next suggest a restore if that didn’t fix it.

If you have spotty WiFi, I can understand the hesitation of doing a restore but might just be what you need to do. If for no other reason than to eliminate it as a solution. Alternatively, you can call Apple and see what they recommend you do.

Reactions: Pro_the_legend

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
My wife is experiencing a similar issue with her 11 pro Max, iOS 14.3. Hers seems to be limited to using the phone app and the screen will just go black and freeze. It necessitates a hard reset to resolve. I had her reset network settings today but will next suggest a restore if that didn’t fix it.

If you have spotty WiFi, I can understand the hesitation of doing a restore but might just be what you need to do. If for no other reason than to eliminate it as a solution. Alternatively, you can call Apple and see what they recommend you do.
Thanks for the reply! My issues started with the phone app as well. Everything else happened once after the other.

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021

Update: Spoke to Apple. They suggested doing a reset as well. Guess I have no other choice. It is happening more frequently than it did a few days ago and its really hindering the usability of my phone.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Well, on the bright side, it gives you the ability to troubleshoot the problem for yourself. Granted, ideally, you wouldn’t be having this problem with a new phone but here we are. I’m optimistic this will resolve your issue, as the alternative is you send it back to Apple and hope they can replicate the problem or diagnose it.

Reactions: Pro_the_legend

Pro_the_legend

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
Well, on the bright side, it gives you the ability to troubleshoot the problem for yourself. Granted, ideally, you wouldn’t be having this problem with a new phone but here we are. I’m optimistic this will resolve your issue, as the alternative is you send it back to Apple and hope they can replicate the problem or diagnose it.
Here in India, a 256gig 12 Pro Max costs around 1900 usd, if you convert the price. Kinda sucks that something this expensive developed such a weird issue. I got the phone on 2nd December and this issue only came up the past 2 weeks or so. Anyway, I restored the phone from an iCloud backup. Seems to be working well so far. Additionally, I somehow got 8gb back and my ‘other’ storage has gone from 7gb to about 4gb. Also, I hope your 11 Pro is working fine now! :)

Reactions: 7thson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.