Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I am seriously thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 14 Pro Max, from my iPhone 12 Pro Max.
By the sounds of things, the iPhone 15 (or whatever they will call it), will keep the same physical shape, albeit will probably be lighter.

Now is probably the best time for me to get a decent trade in value, no?

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I did this exact upgrade last September, it's quite a noticeable difference for only a two-generations jump.

Now, I don't know how soon you need to replace it, but I would advise to wait for the September event. It's probably in less than 6 weeks, and while the 15 Pro might not interest you, carriers will offer way better deals for the 14 PM after the 15 lineup is released than any trade in value you could get right now. If you'd only consider trade in, now would indeed be the best moment to do it.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I did this exact upgrade last September, it's quite a noticeable difference for only a two-generations jump.

Now, I don't know how soon you need to replace it, but I would advise to wait for the September event. It's probably in less than 6 weeks, and while the 15 Pro might not interest you, carriers will offer way better deals for the 14 PM after the 15 lineup is released than any trade in value you could get right now. If you'd only consider trade in, now would indeed be the best moment to do it.
...thanks for the feedback. Another idea that came to mind is to wait for the announcement/order date of the iPhone 15 (or whatever they will call it) and simply purchase it outright, like I did the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Thus, I would at least have a backup mobile for the house (in case someone needs one temporarily).

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I would hold off. That titanium frame might be worth waiting for (along with other minor improvements). As far as trade in value goes, you're right if you're looking at Apple trade in values. There's really no telling what incentive your carrier might offer. I know T-mobile has normally offered an extra $200-400 (on top of the initial trade in value) when you trade in an iPhone from the past 3-4 years if you do so within the first 3 months of release (roughly).

If it were only a few months into the cycle I'd say go for it, but we're really close to it refreshing.

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.