Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarqueeMoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Hi guys, last month Apple replaced my 12 pro max, the new device (which I think is a refurbished unit) has a curious problem: it turns on by itself! After recharging the phone (I turn it off first) I find the device switched on in the morning, with the request for the unlock code. The diagnostics in AS show no problems, I have restored the software and the backup to iTunes (I cannot restore it "as new"). I know that Apple products turn on when, when turned off, they plug in, I have two iPads, I had 8 plus, X, XS Max and 12 Pro Max, before it replaced me I never found it turned on in the morning . I can't tell when it turns on, I just find it switched on almost every morning, actually, but they tell me the phone works perfectly. I also reset the settings, do you have any advice? do you know if there is a particular setting in iOS 15 (but why at that point with iPadOS I don't have the same problem? I have the pro 11 and 12.9 version 2020) or there is a defect that I cannot replicate, I can only film what happens at night... :rolleyes::D I have no other solutions, I think. They can't replicate the problem in AS, so I'm left with a phone that has a ghost in itself!
Have a nice day!

MarqueeMoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
From my experience if you turn off the phone and then plug it in the charging turns it back on immediately. My X did this and my 12P does this.
I know that, but the phone turns on by itself when completely off and not when charging starts :)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Have you tried plugging it in first and then powering it off after? If you did power off first and then plug it in, it will turn it on.

MarqueeMoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Don’t turn it off before charging it.
Don’t leave it plugged in when it’s off
Hi, thank you for the answer. it does not happen when the device is charging, but when it is turned off on the bedside table (without power)

MarqueeMoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
Have you tried plugging it in first and then powering it off after? If you did power off first and then plug it in, it will turn it on.
I know that, but it does not turn on when charging, it turns on by itself for no reason :)

MarqueeMoon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2021
My question is....why turn off the phone at all? I think most of us wouldn't know if this was even an issue, because most of us never power down our phones.
I turn off the phone every night and put it on the bedside table, it's a habit. I showed a video of the problem and they replaced my device. It will arrive on Monday

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.