Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
Hello -

I'm sure like many others we are wondering what the 12 pro and 12 pro max cameras are compared to in Apple's website descriptions.

Specifically, when describing the iPhone 12 Pro Max's, on Apple's website, it stated "87% better low-light photos." Is this in comparison to the 11 Pro Max, or the regular 12 Pro?

I was hoping I could downgrade in size this year from the 11 pro max to the 12 pro, but if the cameras differ greatly, then it looks like I may be waiting to downsize.

Reactions: Commandante

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Compared to the 11. The 12 Pro looks good but the Max has a larger sensor for the main camera and a 65mm telephoto compared to the Pro's 52mm. So you get a 5x optical instead of 4x.

Reactions: csilvia

tkwlee

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
Compared to the 11. The 12 Pro looks good but the Max has a larger sensor for the main camera and a 65mm telephoto compared to the Pro's 52mm. So you get a 5x optical instead of 4x.

Just wondering will the camera performance on 12 pro be really inferior than that on 12 pro max, for example the photo taken by 12 pro max under low might have much more details than that by 12 pro...

Reactions: csilvia

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Just wondering will the camera performance on 12 pro be really inferior than that on 12 pro max, for example the photo taken by 12 pro max under low might have much more details than that by 12 pro...

Unless you're a professional photographer, I really don't think the real world difference between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max will be that different. Don't get the larger phone just for the "better camera", because it's unlikely that different to the average Joe.

Reactions: lw9090 and csilvia

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
That's a really **** move by Apple to make sure the Pro Max has the bigger sensor. Not everyone wants to carry around a big freaking phone, this is exactly why I got my 11 Pro due to it's size. It's not too small and not too big, just the perfect size overall.

I'm honestly pretty upset by this move, this might be the first new iPhone that I skip out on. Unbelievable.

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
Thanks! I'm just trying to take a good picture, AND not have my hands hurt at the end of the day from dealing with the Max's size.

My decision is mostly made up for the iPhone 12 Pro.

csilvia

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Rhode Island
That's a really **** move by Apple to make sure the Pro Max has the bigger sensor. Not everyone wants to carry around a big freaking phone, this is exactly why I got my 11 Pro due to it's size. It's not too small and not too big, just the perfect size overall.

I'm honestly pretty upset by this move, this might be the first new iPhone that I skip out on. Unbelievable.

My sentiments exactly - except I need to get a smaller device so here I go upgrading this year....

mamut

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
camera comparison from website, I wonder is there a big benefit on MAX or not

ultrawide.PNG
wide.PNG
telephoto.PNG

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

it will be inferior. how much? probably subtle in most circumstances but it will be there. the 12 pro max has a much bigger sensor (much better in low light) and also has a nice 5x optical zoom while the 12 pro only has a 4x. it stinks, i thought the days of the “small vs. large” Pro models being different other than screen size was over. i mainly upgrade for each year’s camera improvements but i can NOT use the large size model in my life.

Reactions: Pirate! and TL24

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
it will be inferior. how much? probably subtle in most circumstances but it will be there. the 12 pro max has a much bigger sensor (much better in low light) and also has a nice 5x optical zoom while the 12 pro only has a 4x. it stinks, i thought the days of the “small vs. large” Pro models being different other than screen size was over. i mainly upgrade for each year’s camera improvements but i can NOT use the large size model in my life.

I can use the Max versions just fine but I prefer not to, I'm not trying to carry a mini ****ing iPad in my pockets.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016

Its called physics. A larger sensor won't fit into the smaller phones, period.

Reactions: Tom G.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
How about so-called sensor-shift stabilisation?!

Sensor shift is huge. Its what's referred to as IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) in mirrorless cameras. Its significantly better than the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) in the 12 Pro. Here is more on it

[automerge]1602618161[/automerge]

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018

Maybe because it doesn’t fit into the smaller size? Not a **** move if it can’t be done due to size.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
My only question is the aperture on the Max being at 2.2. The iPhone 11 Pro Max had a 2.0 aperture. Will this be a problem at all when noticing quality or with anything else? The iPhone 12 Pro has a 2.0 aperture as well.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
My only question is the aperture on the Max being at 2.2. The iPhone 11 Pro Max had a 2.0 aperture. Will this be a problem at all when noticing quality or with anything else? The iPhone 12 Pro has a 2.0 aperture as well.

the smaller aperture implies it will not perform as well in low light, having the slightly extra range in telephoto is nice though. problem evens it out, but i'd say the main advantage to the Pro Max is truly only in the Wide (ie. the "normal, use it most of the time) lens which has a bigger sensor size and the in body image stabilization.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
the smaller aperture implies it will not perform as well in low light, having the slightly extra range in telephoto is nice though. problem evens it out, but i'd say the main advantage to the Pro Max is truly only in the Wide (ie. the "normal, use it most of the time) lens which has a bigger sensor size and the in body image stabilization.

So it shouldn’t be a problem. Also with the help of everything else that gives the max a 87% better performance on low light pictures. Guess I won’t have a problem with this.

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
So really ... day to day use - is there really going to be a major difference between the Pro and Pro Max? I think it's ****** they put more into the Max camera, but I understand the physics of it. From a consumer standpoint, they should have not made any fuss over the camera enhancements for the Max, because the Pro now seems less Pro in comparison.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Unless you're a professional photographer, I really don't think the real world difference between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max will be that different. Don't get the larger phone just for the "better camera", because it's unlikely that different to the average Joe.

I disagree, I think the Max has a much better camera and you will be able to tell the difference. The sensor size sounds much larger and stability will be better. Will take better low light pics, etc...

The camera on the 12 Pro, is hardly any different than the 11 Pro. Not even sure why you would buy the 12 Pro and I like the smaller phones.

iDron

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I think it's ****** they put more into the Max camera, but I understand the physics of it. From a consumer standpoint, they should have not made any fuss over the camera enhancements for the Max, because the Pro now seems less Pro in comparison.
If it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit.

What I find more weird is having the 12 and 12 Pro, with the only hardware difference having the third lens and a stainless steel frame. The price jump for these two things is insane...

Reactions: howywood

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I disagree, I think the Max has a much better camera and you will be able to tell the difference. The sensor size sounds much larger and stability will be better. Will take better low light pics, etc...

The camera on the 12 Pro, is hardly any different than the 11 Pro. Not even sure why you would buy the 12 Pro and I like the smaller phones.
Lol! Wait until you see how heavy it is ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.