Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
I can't see anything from the video, but I do see raised black levels in a dark room on my Iphone pro 12. It was immediately noticeable,

For example, looking at a photo, the sides (black bars) should be pure OLED black, but they are have some level of light (not gray, like there is a backlight), like an LCD would look (previous iphone 11 pro was pure black)

Same for letterbox movies, black bars are not oled black

Only seems to happen in very dark room though, rest of time looks perfect,

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpeg
    IMG_3342.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 1,696

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I can't see anything from the video, but I do see raised black levels in a dark room on my Iphone pro 12. It was immediately noticeable,

For example, looking at a photo, the sides (black bars) should be pure OLED black, but they are have some level of light (not gray, like there is a backlight), like an LCD would look (previous iphone 11 pro was pure black)

I feel like this is what people are meaning when they’re saying the screen seems warmer. It’s just not noticeable because they’re not seeing it in pitch blackness like your photo. Like 100% for sure a pure Black OLED screen shouldn’t look that way.

Morrisound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Something is definitely wrong. In OLED screen black should be black, not dark gray.
This is more noticeable at lower bright levels, if you move brightness slider up it fixes the problem, sometimes it flashes between correct black and gray.
My previous XS screen works perfectly in this matter.
Not sure how common this is, if it’s software related or I should return the phone.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Something is definitely wrong. In OLED screen black should be black, not dark gray.
This is more noticeable at lower bright levels, if you move brightness slider up it fixes the problem, sometimes it flashes between correct black and gray.
My previous XS screen works perfectly in this matter.
Not sure how common this is, if it’s software related or I should return the phone.

I have the exact same issue. Was fine on my 11 pro, where black meant the pixels were off.

i didn’t think this was affecting me at first until I checked it at low brightness in a dark room. At higher brightness it’s OK.

I’m going to flag it with Apple now and then wait for iOS 14.2 in case it comes with a fix.

Morrisound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
I have the exact same issue. Was fine on my 11 pro, where black meant the pixels were off.

i didn’t think this was affecting me at first until I checked it at low brightness in a dark room. At higher brightness it’s OK.

I’m going to flag it with Apple now and then wait for iOS 14.2 in case it comes with a fix.
Please, let me know what they tell you. I’m in the process of returning, but if this problem is being adressed in next firmware update I’ll wait. Just wanna make sure is not due to faulty units.

WookieBlaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
Anyone else noticed improper pure black levels similar to LCD screen?
You can check videos like this, better in a pitch black room:
I have the exact same problem. I’ve tried to post about it on several of the major iPhone subreddits but they all get taken down for “breaking the rules”. Multiple calls to Apple support seem to show that they have no idea of the issue. If anyone else has this problem, PLEASE COMMENT. Apple isn’t going to do anything about it if they don’t know it exists. I’m guessing it’s more common than we think. Most people aren’t sitting in a dark room looking at a black image.

ghosttrooper

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
You should really only be testing this with pictures right now, as YouTube doesn't support the new iPhones yet. Mine with a black picture is pure black, as if the display is off.

Reactions: Fred Zed

WookieBlaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
You should really only be testing this with pictures right now, as YouTube doesn't support the new iPhones yet. Mine with a black picture is pure black, as if the display is off.
Yes and finding a pure black image on google is tough. I took a screenshot of the black wallpaper that Apple provides and then zoomed in on it. Screen brightness seems to affect the result. Lower brightness levels produce a very dim grey for me, while the higher levels make the display flash between pure black and a brighter grey (similar to the black displayed on an lcd).

Reactions: Artemio762

Morrisound

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Have you tried in a pitch black room at low brightness level? Maybe you need some time for your eyes to get used to darkness.
You can even check black bars up and down in photos app.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019

Did you lock yourself in the closet? lol. Get out from there and just use your phone and enjoy it

ghosttrooper

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
Yes and finding a pure black image on google is tough. I took a screenshot of the black wallpaper that Apple provides and then zoomed in on it. Screen brightness seems to affect the result. Lower brightness levels produce a very dim grey for me, while the higher levels make the display flash between pure black and a brighter grey (similar to the black displayed on an lcd).
I'm seeing similar results on my 12.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
All 12 pros have this issue I think. I have 2 and their behaviour is identical. I’m sure those not seeing it aren’t doing the test correctly.

that said, ignorance is bliss so why bother.

ghosttrooper

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
All 12 pros have this issue I think. I have 2 and their behaviour is identical. I’m sure those not seeing it aren’t doing the test correctly.

At least we know this is a software issue that can be fixed, since the displays do indeed turn off pixels for blacks at higher brightness.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my iPhone 12 Pro does not do this. I ran the video in pitch darkness and there is no difference between 0% to 100% brightness. It is always completely black.

How can you do the test wrong? It is just a video and the brightness slider. The only conclusion is that all 12 Pros don’t have this issue.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Anyone else noticed improper pure black levels similar to LCD screen?
You can check videos like this, better in a pitch black room:

Yep, noticed this issue early on. Disappointing and not sure software can fix it but am hopeful.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It might be a bug, or it’s to prevent the smearing at low brightness levels when scrolling through black backgrounds. I am also noticing this in the photos app. It’s subtle but definitely noticeable.

Reactions: JM

rgeraght

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011
Did you lock yourself in the closet? lol. Get out from there and just use your phone and enjoy it

Actually you can see it while outside, when dark in evening, closest not required :) I also mentioned perfect it most other cases.

But thanks for your condescending and totally useless reply, lol! This is a forum, try contributing something of value. It's a $1000 phone and good for feedback on any issue, so other can see whats happening. Also, knowing something is a common issue is good also, to know before you buy, and can also help deciding if you want/need to return, or wait for software update.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.