Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2016
Turn off auto-brightness in Settings, Accessibility, Display & Text Size
Thanks man this solved my 'issue', in other words my lack of knowledge ;-) !
[automerge]1603478370[/automerge]
it is hidden in accessability -> Display & Text Size -> down bottom auto brightness set it to off
It's weird that Apple put it there, I remember back in the day it was always down in settings under display/screen or whatever!

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
I’m coming from an iPhone 11 Pro, and I am also experiencing an issue with screen brightness.
My iPhone 11 Pro has True Tone turned on, as well as Auto Brightness.
iPhone 12 Pro has identical settings.
The iPhone 12 Pro is extremely dim compared to my 11 Pro.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
If I remember correctly you limit your screen brightness if you disable auto brightness. With it on you get the 1200 nits in very bright environments. With it off and a maxed out slider it is not 1200 nits

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I’m coming from an iPhone 11 Pro, and I am also experiencing an issue with screen brightness.
My iPhone 11 Pro has True Tone turned on, as well as Auto Brightness.
iPhone 12 Pro has identical settings.
The iPhone 12 Pro is extremely dim compared to my 11 Pro.

Why aren’t you turning off auto-brightness as suggested above?

WhatTheCJ

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Malibu, CA
Why aren’t you turning off auto-brightness as suggested above?
Additionally, Apple has always recommended keeping Auto Brightness turned on, to help display longevity. Never had an issue before with keeping it on, and still being able to see the screen.

My screen is so dim, I have trouble reading it.

Reactions: Hertz77

MacRealist91

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
My screen seems extremely bright compared to my Xs Max...there always seems to be an issue with the first batch of hardware.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Additionally, Apple has always recommended keeping Auto Brightness turned on, to help display longevity. Never had an issue before with keeping it on, and still being able to see the screen.

My screen is so dim, I have trouble reading it.

If that’s the case it has to be faulty. Get it swapped out

Oh and I mentioned disabling auto brightness only temporarily so you can check how bright it can get. I always leave mine on.

BirgerNO

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
Same here coming from iPhone X . My iPhone 12 Pro actually dark in outside daylight. Difficult to see things on the screen. I have auto brightness, tried turning it off and turned brightness all the way up manually but still doesent look very bright. Tried this: turned off Reduce Whiteness in the menu accessability -> Display & Text Size.

That helped, but I would think this was not necessary on my iPhone X

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks man this solved my 'issue', in other words my lack of knowledge ;-) !
[automerge]1603478370[/automerge]

It's weird that Apple put it there, I remember back in the day it was always down in settings under display/screen or whatever!

If turning off AB increases brightness on anything less than full brightness, your ALS is defective. Visit the store. This won’t happen to other iPhones in the store. Test them.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Same here coming from iPhone X . My iPhone 12 Pro actually dark in outside daylight. Difficult to see things on the screen. I have auto brightness, tried turning it off and turned brightness all the way up manually but still doesent look very bright. Tried this: turned off Reduce Whiteness in the menu accessability -> Display & Text Size.

That helped, but I would think this was not necessary on my iPhone X

11/12 Pro are much brighter. Your ALS is defective. That’s why you need to turn off Auto Brightness. Return and replace.
[automerge]1603542054[/automerge]
If turning off AB increases brightness on anything less than full brightness, your ALS is defective. Visit the store. This won’t happen to other iPhones in the store. Test them.

Return and replace.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I came here because I also was experiencing a darker image on my 12 Pro than my old iPhone XS. But I found a solution for me: turns out I had Accessibility->Zoom enabled. For some reason having the ability to enable zoom dims the screen. Turned that off, now the screen can get nice and bright.

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
My 12 pro is just as bright as my 11 pro max, and I put it side by side with my regular 12 and the pro is definitely brighter.

Malnoth

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Does it have anything to do with transferring data from your old iPhone vs starting fresh?
I notice that with both my iPhone 11 and iPhone 12 Pro set to auto brightness, the iPhone 11 gets much brighter with both brightness's maxed out. If I turn off auto brightness, the iPhone 12 Pro gets brighter.

Is it normal that the max brightness is higher with auto brightness off on the 12? I thought the scale of brightness was the same, but it just auto adjusted it depending on lighting conditions.

The weird thing is that the maximum brightness doesn't change on the iPhone 11. It's the same whether auto brightness is on or off.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Yup, I’m coming from an iPhone 11 and screen brightness on iPhone 11 is officially 625 nits, but honestly on full brightness the iPhone 11 is brighter than the iPhone 12 Pro with what is supposed to be 800 nits.

please try to get your money back and wait for the iPhone 13 I Guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.