Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I thought something was a bit off since getting the iPhone 12 pro. My upper volume button seems to be sitting lower than the bottom volume button. The functionality seems to be unaffected but when you run your finger over it you can tell it sits lower also when you click on it the upper one it has a lighter click sound then the bottom one. Not sure if everyone’s like this or if it’s worth keeping it and exchanging it out later.

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
I don’t know that my up volume button sits lower. If so I missed that when it was out of the case. But it definitely has a bit of a softer click than the down volume and power button. My brother has a 12Pro too and he said his is the same. They might all be that way.

Reactions: aajeevlin

Luke2kk

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg
I do have the same problem with my iPhone 12 (non Pro). Upper Volume Button is a bit mushy and Volume Down is very clicky (which seems normal to me). It started to bother me, since im using the Apple Silicon Case. You guys think Apple would exchange an iPhone cause of such minor Problem? I bought it on Amazon.

Maybe some more people could share if they have a similar issue.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
This thread sounds like clickbait. ? It’s probably just sample variation in the manufacture of the switches and assembly of the phone. If it bothers you, return it and get a new phone. Hopefully, the replacement won’t have the issue.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010

Datju

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Thanks. I’m returning mine anyways. I’m going to go for the mini at this point.
I went into the apple store and they told me it was normal for the button to be like this... even the display model had a “soft” volume up... does anyone know if replacement actually “fixed” the issue??

Luke2kk

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg
As is mentioned above i got mine exchanged and the buttons are even now and both „click“ the same. This was no delusion or ocd at all, i will add a picture later so you can compare.

EDIT:
IMG_0740(1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Datju and aajeevlin

Datju

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
As is mentioned above i got mine exchanged and the buttons are even now and both „click“ the same. This was no delusion or ocd at all, i will add a picture later so you can compare.

EDIT: View attachment 1660480
That’s how mine looks but the people at Apple said it was “normal” and nothing they can do...

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
That’s how mine looks but the people at Apple said it was “normal” and nothing they can do...
Mine was exactly like that as well (Now returned for the mini). The sound of the click was also different as well.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Just checked and both volume buttons are dead on even and have the same exact click-y-ness to them.

Datju

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Just checked and both volume buttons are dead on even and have the same exact click-y-ness to them.
I called apple today, they informed me that their phone was also like this and to keep an eye out for recalls...

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

EDIT: View attachment 1660480
Mine iphone 12 is the same. Not only can you see the difference you can feel the difference. Got a good screen though so loathed to do a swap but it is annoying me now that I've noticed.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
yea, my volume down button is mushy compared to the volume up button... I really don't want to have to do an exchange...

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
Jeez, this forum is getting ridiculous, stop complaining about the smallest things on a freaking phone! Not a single iPhone will be perfect, its made by humans not robots... its not like the phone doesn't work with uneven buttons or non clicky buttons thats just looking for a pathetic excuse to exchange it. There are way more worse things on this earth that your little uneven button, live with it and with a case on you won't even see it.

• Wow
Reactions: DaPhox and LFC2020

brooksbrewer

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2018
Kansas City, MO
Jeez, this forum is getting ridiculous, stop complaining about the smallest things on a freaking phone! Not a single iPhone will be perfect, its made by humans not robots... its not like the phone doesn't work with uneven buttons or non clicky buttons thats just looking for a pathetic excuse to exchange it. There are way more worse things on this earth that your little uneven button, live with it and with a case on you won't even see it.
It’s definitely a minor thing, but I have OCD and things like that have bothered me since my first smartphone in 2011. I have a case on my phone but still notice that the button gets less clicky over time. To each their own, it’s not hurtin anyone to see if others are having the same problem or saying that it bothers you.

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
It’s definitely a minor thing, but I have OCD and things like that have bothered me since my first smartphone in 2011. I have a case on my phone but still notice that the button gets less clicky over time. To each their own, it’s not hurtin anyone to see if others are having the same problem or saying that it bothers you.
Mine did it and went to more clicky after some usage the buttons are stiff because its a brand new phone, they become clicky overtime but people immediately think its a defect and the phone is broken and not usable. Can't wait for Apple to reject these ridiculous things for a replacement. This forum has become a huge complain platform.

Reactions: DaPhox

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
May 19, 2019
:) I happen to search up and down button on iPhone 15 , happen see this thread. Well ever since I start using an iPhone way back iPhone 4 I think the first iPhone I got. I already noticed their Up button is slightly feel like lowers a bit than down button for the volume control. I just well get use to it that time as I told myself in future surely another upgrade.... So come my next iPhone which is an iPhone 6 I also noticed the up button is slightly sink down than down button too. , later come iPhone 7 plus, I also feel the same while press up and down that volume button. Now just happen got iPhone 15 the base mode I do also noticed the same.

FunkiFuriaku

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
:) I happen to search up and down button on iPhone 15 , happen see this thread. Well ever since I start using an iPhone way back iPhone 4 I think the first iPhone I got. I already noticed their Up button is slightly feel like lowers a bit than down button for the volume control. I just well get use to it that time as I told myself in future surely another upgrade.... So come my next iPhone which is an iPhone 6 I also noticed the up button is slightly sink down than down button too. , later come iPhone 7 plus, I also feel the same while press up and down that volume button. Now just happen got iPhone 15 the base mode I do also noticed the same.
It's just a phone you replace eventually. Its mass produced you'll keep ending up with a phone that has either the same issue or worse in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.