Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2009
I'm on the fence, for those who had iPhone 11 Pro and just got the new 12 Pro, do you feel like it's worth the upgrade? If I have to sell existing phone and get the new one probably looking at about taking ~$500 cost. Just want to get a feel if people feel it's worth the upgrade. Thanks.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
If only someone had asked this already, I’d direct you towards those discussions. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: yui4

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
just picked mine up (11Pro to 12Pro). The biggest and most apparent change is the feel in the hand. I'm sure it'll fade into the background as time moves forward...but for the time being, it's a stark change and totally worth for me.

Reactions: deuxani

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Only if you really want the bigger screen. Otherwise, I'd say no. Wait for 2021 release.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No, I normally buy the max pro model every year, can’t justify apples tactic leaving out a lot of new features, and a smaller battery, I’ll be going from xs max to a blue 12 non pro.

Hopefully next year apple pull their finger out and give us features that have been available on other phones for a while now.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
Thoughts from someone who upgraded every year for the past three models...

If I don’t find the 6.1” model too large, I’ll be waiting for a Pro model with a Promotion display and a more substantial camera upgrade over the iPhone 11 Pro. I also would like to see 5G gain momentum and Apple address its battery issues before I make that switch. I say this as an AT&T customer who is not yet convinced that the enhancements of low band 5G will be very noticeable.

There’s a slight chance that I may downsize/sidegrade to the iPhone 12 mini, but I’m worried about battery life. I also don’t want to give up camera features on my iPhone 11 Pro for the same price that I have outstanding on my Upgrade Program loan. Seems like a silly thing to do.

I do wonder what next years update will bring to the iPhone mini. The real risk in me getting used to that size again will be that I’ll have to get used to not having the latest features and strong battery life, as Apple can only do so much to battle physics.

Last edited:

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
I'm on the fence, for those who had iPhone 11 Pro and just got the new 12 Pro, do you feel like it's worth the upgrade? If I have to sell existing phone and get the new one probably looking at about taking ~$500 cost. Just want to get a feel if people feel it's worth the upgrade. Thanks.

I don’t think there is.. I’m holding off until next year

Reactions: Ram65

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
If you don’t use a case, it’s totally worth the upgrade. The design feels so great in the hand, it’s like a completely different phone. Also the subtle 0.3” increase without making the phone that much bigger... I’m really happy with it.

If you do use a case... the upgrade makes less sense.

RP84

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I’m in the same boat. I buy the new iPhone every year.
I had a play with my friends 12 pro yesterday but didn’t get that wow factor. The camera is very good on the pro

I like the idea of the NightMode on the ultra wide lens. But now going to test if ProCam is good enough

to be honest I will still probably buy the new pro max that’s because I’ve changed my sim to 5G and already bought the useless MagSafe charger.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you absolutely have to have the latest tech each year and are willing to pay an arm and a leg for it (or unless you're already on an annual upgrade program such as Apple's), I'd say no. Given how many changes were made both internally and externally (and how much of a risk that is to overall reliability), I'd say that you might especially want to skip this year if you have the 11 Pro Max. On top of that, I think the 11 Pro series is prettier than the 12 Pro series, but that's just me.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The increase isn't as substantial as it has been in years past and there are already rumors of major iPhone 13 Pro camera updates if you're willing to wait (assuming you don't upgrade each year like many here do).

The benefits you are getting from iPhone 11 Pro to iPhone 12 Pro are:
  • Novel new design
  • Larger display (5.8" to 6.1") as well as an improved effective point resolution meaning you'll see slightly more content on screen than the 11 Pro rather than just seeing the same content, but bigger.
  • Marginally improved main camera (a bit more light for low-light shots)
  • Marginally improved Ultrawide camera (reviews showed it was a bit sharper than the 11 Pro)
  • Improvements to video capture including HDR
  • LiDar sensor for AR and some added camera intelligence.
  • A14 chip with 6GB of RAM (the 20% speed bump will likely be unnoticed, but the extra RAM could be nice depending on how you use your phone)
  • 5G Cellular connectivity (benefit varies wildly person-to-person and by location)

Reactions: Wizec
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.