Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Can anyone confirm this? For the longest time I've been wanting a Product Red iPhone, but it either had the white front (iPhone 6 i think?) or it didn't come in the Capacity that I wanted/needed at the time.
For now, even though I Pre-Ordered the iPhone 12 Pro in Graphite, I still really want to try the iPhone 12 Mini in Red, but I'm worried from the marketing pics that it's a lighter shade of red than the iPhone 11 from last year.

Any confirmation on this? I swear, lack of Hands-on videos have really screwed us this year, luckily with the delay in launch of the Mini, I can see what the regular iPhone 12 colour looks like in Red and confirm the same would be for the Mini.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Can anyone confirm this? For the longest time I've been wanting a Product Red iPhone, but it either had the white front (iPhone 6 i think?) or it didn't come in the Capacity that I wanted/needed at the time.
For now, even though I Pre-Ordered the iPhone 12 Pro in Graphite, I still really want to try the iPhone 12 Mini in Red, but I'm worried from the marketing pics that it's a lighter shade of red than the iPhone 11 from last year.

Any confirmation on this? I swear, lack of Hands-on videos have really screwed us this year, luckily with the delay in launch of the Mini, I can see what the regular iPhone 12 colour looks like in Red and confirm the same would be for the Mini.
It was the iphone 7! That phone was a lovely shade of red but the white front did spoil it unfortunately. I loved that phone regardless though!

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
This is a worry of mine too, the shade looks lighter. I guess I'll see when it comes.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
It's almost poppy-like. Kinda digging it. It's def not the type of red Apple churns out, though.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I’m not a fan of red anyway, but the XR red looked the best to me. The 11 red looked worse, and the 12 red looks even worse.

Reactions: tomtattoo

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Right off the Apple website - it's definitely been getting lighter every year.
Red.jpg

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I was thinking that too. The 12 is more ketchup while the 11 is more fire engine. I prefer the 11.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
I have the (Product)RED iPhone XR and I love the deep shade of red. I was leaning towards the 12 in (Product)RED too but then saw the GMA hands on of the blue and then looked at the store shots of the (Product)RED and switched to blue for the order.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It's obviously a cost-cutting measure, they are diluting the paint. Even moreso with the green.

Seriously though, I'd like the XR blue.

• Haha
Reactions: AlecEdworthy

MajicSho

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Yeah, just watched the review. Purely for the colour observation Lol

At least I now know for sure that I won’t be going for the Product Red colour. Blue or Black it is.

Reactions: jeremydc

MajicSho

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
ok, it seems that in almost every video, the Red and the Blue look different on the Non Pro 12 models.

Here’s Karl Conrad’s Red 12 looking better than in MKBHD’s video ??‍♂️

Reactions: ct2k7

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
From Dave Lee. A "happy" red

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.49.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 5.49.59 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,289

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
As much as MKBHD is a fan of red (and black), if he says the phone doesn’t look Red, and more deep coral-red, I’d believe him. It doesn’t look like a deep or true red like the XR and older red phones from his video nor from pictures taken. The other video looks like the phone is a deep orange-red.

Some people will be okay with that, but it looks off from what I would call Red.

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
surface-finish and coating downgrade, also encourage people buy PRO.
even SE2020 have better RED.

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
I too have always wanted a red iphone even when I was an Apple hating Android user. My first iPhone that I had for any amount of time was the 10. I always hated how big the bezels were on the iPhones so I gladly welcomed the notch. Haha at first I wouldn't get a red iphone because of the white face (and the bezels) but I hoped one day Apple would make one with a black face. I wished that Apple made a red one in the pro line but no such luck. I prefer smaller phones so I was really excited about the mini and finally, I could get it in red.. Then I see some unboxing videos and noticed it's not the same red they used to be.. So it's just my luck. They make a smaller iphone with no bezels, it has a black face but the red is more of a "salmon" color..fml..I could never win and it looks like I won't ever get my red iphone. I have a pro 12 on order in pacific blue. I still might get a mini to try.. It probably will not be red.. Damn it apple.. Give me a mini, with black face, no bezels and that deep candy apple red...that's all I want.. Lol

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.