Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flux386

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am planning to get into the apple ecosystem this fall. I am debating between the small (regular) iPhone 12 and the normal (non max) iPhone 12 Pro.

Usually i keep my smartphones for a long time (my current Android one is approaching 5 years - the upgrade is urgent :)), but since the 120Hz is a big deal for me, i would plan to keep the iPhone for about 2 years and then sell it for a new one. Who knows, maybe even the notch is gone by then.

Do you guys think the 12 Pro will lose a lot more value over that timespan since it is more expansive to begin with? Or are the pro models more desired and hold their value better? Thank you in advance

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Europe:

Iphone 11 launch price - 819€
After one year - 699€

iphone 11pro - 1169€
After one year - 899€
On Black friday - 799€
In april/may 2021 - 650€

same for xs and xr last year...

Reactions: Flux386

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Hello everyone,
I am planning to get into the apple ecosystem this fall. I am debating between the small (regular) iPhone 12 and the normal (non max) iPhone 12 Pro.

Usually i keep my smartphones for a long time (my current Android one is approaching 5 years - the upgrade is urgent :)), but since the 120Hz is a big deal for me, i would plan to keep the iPhone for about 2 years and then sell it for a new one. Who knows, maybe even the notch is gone by then.

Do you guys think the 12 Pro will lose a lot more value over that timespan since it is more expansive to begin with? Or are the pro models more desired and hold their value better? Thank you in advance

hi the smaller iPhones will not be getting 120Hz

Kuo: iPhone 12 Lineup Won't Support 120Hz, 5.4-Inch Model Will Have Slightly Narrower Notch. iPhone 12 models will not support a 120Hz refresh rate due to battery life considerations, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today. Kuo expects the feature to debut on 2021 iPhones with lower-power LTPO display technology.Sep 14, 2020

Reactions: freeagent

Flux386

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020

Kuo: iPhone 12 Lineup Won't Support 120Hz, 5.4-Inch Model Will Have Slightly Narrower Notch. iPhone 12 models will not support a 120Hz refresh rate due to battery life considerations, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said today. Kuo expects the feature to debut on 2021 iPhones with lower-power LTPO display technology.Sep 14, 2020
I know, i am expecting that none of the iPhones 12 will have 120Hz, which is why i don't plan to keep my new phone for long..

Reactions: Freakonomics101

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hello everyone,

If you're keeping the phone for two years and if the 12 Pro is sold for $1000 I'd say it will be worth $350-$450.... My X was bought a month after release and if I was going to update when the 11 Pro was released that was what my phone was going for...

Reactions: Flux386

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020

That’s perfect, the next phone after the 12 is what I’ll be getting since I have a year and a half left on my contract.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Never buy an Apple product for potential resale value. Buy the product because you want it.

Too many people on this forum spend more money on a product, so they can sell it later, which still means throwing good money out the window. Unless you sell your device for what you paid, you are selling at a loss.

+1 Always buy what you want and keep it. I never get anything for my old phones... my wife takes them as a tech tax for allowing me to buy them in the first place 🤨

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Never buy an Apple product for potential resale value. Buy the product because you want it.

Too many people on this forum spend more money on a product, so they can sell it later, which still means throwing good money out the window. Unless you sell your device for what you paid, you are selling at a loss.
I much prefer throwing bad money out the window. ??

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.