Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
I hate the what should I do threads but…

I have an iPhone XS, battery is at 89% health and I have no real issues if I’m around the house/computer BUT if I’m sat in an airport bored all day I can get to low power warnings, and it’s got me thinking about a new iPhone, I thought the 12 was just recently released but it was apparently 2019 and the internet & Macrumors both say that there will be a new iPhone 13 along by the end of the year, so do I go with a 12 or wait for the 13?
The smaller notch would be good along with any battery improvements and mag safe charging, the alleged in screen fingerprint reader would be good in the COVID world but the recent addition of watch unlock has sort of fixed the facial recognition/mask issue, any other life changing features I’ve missed?

What’s the macrumors iPhone collectives advice?

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
iPhone 12 was released in 2020 not 2019. I believe the notch is the same size on the XS and the 12, but I could be wrong. 89% is still a great battery, so if that is your only complain, I personally would buy a powerbank for the airport situation and wait until september for the new iPhone.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
If you can wait then wait but if you cannot wait then go right ahead, I seriously think when it comes to iPhone being 2-3models behind you can still be fine. There are still people using iPhone X with a new battery.

The question is does the iPhone 12 have all that you want? Or is there something more you that you feel is worth waiting for in the iPhone 13?

I am due an upgrade soon on one of my contracts and I am trying to assess if it’s worth it to leave my 11 Pro Max as it still serves me well, or do I just replace the battery when the time comes and keep going with it.

If you need to have the latest and greatest then wait.

Reactions: Guacamole

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
iPhone 12 was released in 2020 not 2019. I believe the notch is the same size on the XS and the 12, but I could be wrong. 89% is still a great battery, so if that is your only complain, I personally would buy a powerbank for the airport situation and wait until september for the new iPhone.

My iPhone 11 Pro had 84% when I sold it and got it in December 2019 so 89% with an XS is great. Got an iPhone 12 Pro because I changed carriers and figured I’ll get a 5G phone and going to keep it a while anyways. I wasn’t going to get a 13 anyways so I figured why not.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Ok, 13 it is :)

Tbh if you can get a great deal on a 12 I would get it over a 13 unless you really want a 13. The 12 pro I got is the first phone I will spend the MSRP on. My other phones all financed except my Note 8 I got on sale

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I would wait, I'm on similar situation as you, only still with a 6s plus.
A new iPhone is tempting but the 12 does not have what I want which is Touch ID , this is why I'm waiting for the 13 .. and if it doesn't come with it then I'll think what I'll do then.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I would wait, I'm on similar situation as you, only still with a 6s plus.
A new iPhone is tempting but the 12 does not have what I want which is Touch ID , this is why I'm waiting for the 13 .. and if it doesn't come with it then I'll think what I'll do then.

Lol Touch ID … it’s not coming back

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I would wait....unless you're constantly in 5G or are constantly taking pictures and need the best of the best, the user experience of using the 12 will be for the most part identical as the one you have.

lumpycustard

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
iPhone 13 or buy a battery case or battery pack.
I’m on a launch XS (83% battery health) and I’m not currently tempted to upgrade my iPhone until Pro Motion is introduced.

I’m trying to find a new Apple smart battery case but they’re long discontinued and I’ve not been successful finding one in new condition.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I’m on a launch XS (83% battery health) and I’m not currently tempted to upgrade my iPhone until Pro Motion is introduced.

I’m trying to find a new Apple smart battery case but they’re long discontinued and I’ve not been successful finding one in new condition.
I hear you.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I'd wait for a new one. A major upgrade to your iPhone.

Also how quickly this year has gone it won't be long until the 13 series are announced! 😉

lumpycustard

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Right now the only thing that would convince me to upgrade is Pro Motion / 120hz. If the 13 doesn't have 120hz i think i'm just going to find a second hand battery case and pay apple to replace the battery and hold out for another year lol.

I've got an iPhone 11 provided by work, and my girlfriend has an iPhone 12 from work and i literally can't tell the difference between any of them compared to my XS. Unpopular opinion, I prefer the regular XS screen/body size as well.

The only differentiating factor really is the camera quality, especially night mode, but i don't really care about all that anyways.

Last edited:

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Same here XS Max battery health at 84%…
Waiting to see what the next iPhone will be about…
Mini led, 120hz pro motion, M1 is things i hope the next iPhone will have

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
If your phone is holding fine, your best option would be to wait until September. You'll then have the choice of either purchasing the very last model or buy a previous one at a discounted price. Win-win either way, if you ask me.

Reactions: Guacamole

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
As others have said, I'm also in this same position. I've got an XS and I could have upgraded to the 12 as contract ended in March but chose to change to sim-only instead to save some cash each month. My XS works fine enough if I'm honest. Though I have to always use a case as I've shattered the glass back (dropped it onto ground floor tiles from the top of my stairs...). The battery is fine enough for me too as I'm never far from a charger, especially since I've been WFH since March 2020.

I really wanted the 12 Pro in pacific blue but I'm waiting for the 13 now with hopes that it has a higher refresh rate. I'm also glad I've waited as in this time I've also decided I want the Pro Max in silver - I expect myself to flip-flop between colours when they announce the new set!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.