Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scow_26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Hello - I am enrolled in the iphone upgrade program and live in Illinois. All of the apple stores near me are closed and only open for express pickup. How do I go about trading in my 11 pro max for the 12 pro max with the IUP? I typically go in-store for them to inspect it and get my new phone. I want to avoid mailing my phone in if possible. Am I stuck waiting until the stores open?

TLDR: can I do my IUP trade in/get my new phone via express pickup?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hello - I am enrolled in the iphone upgrade program and live in Illinois. All of the apple stores near me are closed and only open for express pickup. How do I go about trading in my 11 pro max for the 12 pro max with the IUP? I typically go in-store for them to inspect it and get my new phone. I want to avoid mailing my phone in if possible. Am I stuck waiting until the stores open?

TLDR: can I do my IUP trade in/get my new phone via express pickup?
Depends on the store, but more than likely they will want you to mail it in even if you did the in-store pick up option. When I asked one of the apple rep, if it's not busy and your current phone is erased and ready to go, they can try to do it from the store but not guaranteed. But most likely they will want you to mail it out.

Reactions: scow_26

scow_26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Depends on the store, but more than likely they will want you to mail it in even if you did the in-store pick up option. When I asked one of the apple rep, if it's not busy and your current phone is erased and ready to go, they can try to do it from the store but not guaranteed. But most likely they will want you to mail it out.
Ugh - thank you. I do not really trust the mail process, so I guess I might just wait until the store is open. I am pretty savvy with the basics of ios, so I don't need help setting the new device up - the only special thing I would need them to do is activate it with my Verizon account (the eSIM).

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Ugh - thank you. I do not really trust the mail process, so I guess I might just wait until the store is open.
Likely won't be till late next year or who knows when. I don't trust it either but I ended up doing it no issues. Just take a picture of your phone and packaging, even get the receipt.

scow_26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Likely won't be till late next year or who knows when. I don't trust it either but I ended up doing it no issues. Just take a picture of your phone and packaging, even get the receipt.
late next year, no way! there are a ton of stores across the country with openings - just not the one near me. I know there are quite a few without openings, but I saw a good amount in the Arizona, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Texas, etc. so I know they have availability.

I am also trying to trade in my current laptop for an M1 macbook pro - but same issue. I don't want to mail in in case they offer 50% of the trade in value per their website.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
late next year, no way! there are a ton of stores across the country with openings - just not the one near me. I know there are quite a few without openings, but I saw a good amount in the Arizona, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Texas, etc. so I know they have availability.

I am also trying to trade in my current laptop for an M1 macbook pro - but same issue. I don't want to mail in in case they offer 50% of the trade in value per their website.
Actually, Apple in Schaumberg, IL, also Apple Michigan Avenue, and in Chicago Area are technically open, and still considered "Open" even if it's express pick up and genius bar only.

Also every state is different. All 3 Apple stores in Wisconsin (Madison, and two in Milwaukee Area) are actually temporarily closed, meaning actually closed. So you'd still be lucky that the stores in Chicago area are still operational.

I never had issues with mailing the trade in but I have heard many horror stories about it. But yea I do prefer in-store pick up and trade ins.

Also for IUP, there's really nothing to worry about all they do is inspect and close out your old loan once they receive it. It's different if you were actually trading in for a refund.

scow_26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Actually, Apple in Schaumberg, IL, also Apple Michigan Avenue, and in Chicago Area are technically open, and still considered "Open" even if it's express pick up and genius bar only.

Also every state is different. All 3 Apple stores in Wisconsin (Madison, and two in Milwaukee Area) are actually temporarily closed, meaning actually closed. So you'd still be lucky that the stores in Chicago area are still operational.

I never had issues with mailing the trade in but I have heard many horror stories about it. But yea I do prefer in-store pick up and trade ins
don't see your response, sir

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.