Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
As an XS Max owner I think I'm in the market for a new phone this year. My phone prior to the XSM was the 6S+. That is now used by the wife and it's still working fine, but she really wants a better camera and bigger storage. Last year I was all set to upgrade to the 12 pro max until I saw it and didn't think it was value for money for various reasons. Fast Forward to now and I was all set to upgrade to the 13 until the dimensions of the notch surfaced - narrower but slightly deeper. If this is true, and the only differences are mostly iterative (better low light camera, faster and the big deal for some - ~120 variable refresh) I'm now thinking to pick up a 12 Pro Max discounted when the 13 comes out. I quite dislike the notch even though I get why it's there. I just don't like the way it constantly cuts into content in the most obnoxious of ways. So if the notch is deeper, but thinner, it's going to make the notch more apparent than it already is... isn't it?

I wonder what the actual percentage is in terms of how much deeper it is? It may actually be insignificant in actual numerical terms, but because it will be considerably thinner, it's possible the depth will be accentuated. Especially on the smaller phones.

So with the rumours of 2023 being notch free, will it be worth paying the extra for a 13 over a 12 for 2 years? Like I stated in the title, this is speculation because we don't know for sure the specifics of the 13. What will be the big selling point of the 13?

X was all about a brand new form factor, UI and FaceID. Massive!
XS was a bigger screen.
11 was night mode on the camera and camera in general.
12 was 5G.
What will 13 be??? Under the screen Touch ID? I think that's not gonna happen.

And if anybody out there is in a similar position to me, what is the value proposition of 13 v 12. How much cheaper would a 12 need to be, to make you get that instead of a 13? Honestly, it would have to be 300 bucks or more cheaper.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you look at the photos, the notch is about 25% narrower. It's less than 5% taller. The tradeoff, is clearly worth it in my opinion.

For Xs Max owners, I think the biggest upgrades will be the larger 6.7" display with smaller notch along with the better front and rear cameras.

Reactions: nordique

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
13 would be the faster FPS screen. And even with 13 launched i doubt the 12 would be USD$300 away. But i think it depends on region. In Indonesia every iPhone is still expensive if compared to other countries.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
If you look at the photos, the notch is about 25% narrower. It's less than 5% taller. The tradeoff, is clearly worth it in my opinion.

For Xs Max owners, I think the biggest upgrades will be the larger 6.7" display with smaller notch along with the better front and rear cameras.
I agree that the larger screen will somewhat offset the deeper notch. My problem with a deeper notch is that it will jut into content more than before even though it actually takes up less screen real estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.