Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I owned the iPhone XR, before my current 12 Mini , and it worked flawlessly over Bluetooth. My iPhone 12 mini on the other hand, has literally the worst Bluetooth performance I’ve had to deal with, especially with my car, when answering a call I click answer and even tho the call is answered it still rings on the car , I get lots of disconnects from my car as well.

Handoff to my airpods is also broken since the last update , connected but won’t play anything to I disconnect and connect a couple times.

I notice I get crackling sometimes when playing music on my Bluetooth speakers , first time I thought I had blown speaker till I realized it was Bluetooth.

plenty other quirky issues with Bluetooth, honestly love this phone with this below subpar Bluetooth performance... sucks the Apple store closed due to covid..

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Had my 12 pro Mac since launch, car bluetooth has been rock solid, no issues at all. ?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
No Bluetooth issues on my 12 mini - works in a car, with AirPods, with Bose speaker. FWIW, the car BT setup can be messy, though, as I had also lost connectivity in the past after one of the iOS updates.

Reactions: Barbareren

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s not just the iPhone 12 series. Since updating to iOS 14 this has been a problem with my iPhone 11 Pro as well.

Reactions: appleiPhUser12

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
To reiterate my first post, I don't think there is a problem. But when I first setup my 12 pro I copied my old phone during setup and it inherited all paired bluetooth device. That didn't go to well with especially my car. But all problems vanished when I deleted the pairings and did a new pairing from the new phone.

I don't know deep details about how a pairing is stored, but are not surprised it worked badly. Because it is another device with another Mac-address. But unless they are stored with some digital signature, I find it more surprising and a security risk that the imported pairings worked at all.

• Love
Reactions: Jemani

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
No issues with my phone. I connect to my Apple Watch, AirPods Pro, Bose headphones, CarPlay etc almost daily and has been rock solid.

Maybe repair your stuff or maybe something to have paired is stealing the bandwidth available causing problems for other devices.

Reactions: Barbareren

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I owned the iPhone XR, before my current 12 Mini , and it worked flawlessly over Bluetooth. My iPhone 12 mini on the other hand, has literally the worst Bluetooth performance I’ve had to deal with, especially with my car, when answering a call I click answer and even tho the call is answered it still rings on the car , I get lots of disconnects from my car as well.

Handoff to my airpods is also broken since the last update , connected but won’t play anything to I disconnect and connect a couple times.

I notice I get crackling sometimes when playing music on my Bluetooth speakers , first time I thought I had blown speaker till I realized it was Bluetooth.

plenty other quirky issues with Bluetooth, honestly love this phone with this below subpar Bluetooth performance... sucks the Apple store closed due to covid..
What car are you connecting to?
It sounds like you may have a lemon in your hands (your particular phone) and it needs to be diagnosed and replaced.

Qu1ckset

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I’ve brought all my attention to Apple and set up a genius appointment , I explained all my troubles with my phone which have been mostly all Day 1 issues , so hopefully they fix or replace this phone, I’m over it... everything else about the 12 mini has been flawless!

• Love
Reactions: maternidad

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
I'm having issues with the Bluetooth as well on my 12 mini. @akash.nu may have a point. It may be due to the iOS and not the phone. I keep getting an error message on Windows saying to click the back button and try again.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I am simply unable to get my new 12 mini to connect to my Subaru’s BT. Which is weird because several months ago my son’s 12 connected just fine. I tried 14.7, 14.7.1, restore from backup, reboot, etc . USB connected airplay works perfectly, airpods work, and watch work.

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
I am simply unable to get my new 12 mini to connect to my Subaru’s BT. Which is weird because several months ago my son’s 12 connected just fine. I tried 14.7, 14.7.1, restore from backup, reboot, etc . USB connected airplay works perfectly, airpods work, and watch work.
What iOS does your son have? I am on 14.7.1 and have had no luck yet. This really blows....

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
What iOS does your son have? I am on 14.7.1 and have had no luck yet. This really blows....
Good question, let me check. He is on 14.6. I deleted all devices from my car and was able to re-pair his phone and my husband’s 2020 SE on 14.3. I suspect my phone came 14.6 or earlier but in order to finish activating and setting up it required me to upgrade to 14.7. I’ve not been able to connect to my car. Then upgraded to 14.7.1 and still couldn’t connect. I wonder if I could backup my son’s phone and stick it on mine to essentially downgrade and see if that works.

I rarely drive the Subaru anymore as I have a 3 wheeled Arcimoto for my in town driving. For longer driving I could just remember to plug it into usb and get full on carplay which looks like it works much better than it did in 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: appleiPhUser12

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
@harriska2 hi! yeah it seems it does not work with the latest iOS. I can pair it just fine with my laptop, and I have paired it with my moto z2 Play phone. Haven't tried sending files from that phone with it yet.

Reactions: harriska2

appleiPhUser12

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2021
Found this info in another forum that may help clarify things a bit :

You can pair multiple devices, but you can only connect to one at a time.

Only one device can be paired to the iPhone at a time. This is true for all Bluetooth devcies - multiple simultaneous pairings are not allowed under the Bluetooth spec.

The bluetooth specification allows up to seven devices to connect, but it's not straightforward, as it is dependent on the type of device and the service profile it provides. For example, you can have a bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and headset connected at the same time, and an A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) device to stream music, but you can't have two devices that performing the same service profile connected at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.