Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagOnetech

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2022
USA
I recently discovered that when I charge my iPhone 13, the charging status on the front is normal. When the power is charged to 97%, the power increase will become very slow. In other words, the charge increases very slowly from 97% to 100%, what could be the reason for this?

All I can think of is that the weather has gotten colder recently and the capacity of the battery has been affected by the temperature, is it possible?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I recently discovered that when I charge my iPhone 13, the charging status on the front is normal. When the power is charged to 97%, the power increase will become very slow. In other words, the charge increases very slowly from 97% to 100%, what could be the reason for this?

All I can think of is that the weather has gotten colder recently and the capacity of the battery has been affected by the temperature, is it possible?
That's normal for any lithium battery. The closer to 100% the slower the charge is going to be. It's the battery management controller trying to save the battery. Also if your phone is cold it will charge slower. Most of the time the cold weather isn't a factor because it's in your pocket or inside a heated room but if you left it in your car or something when it's freezing outside it's going to charge slower.

Maybe it's slower than it used to be with your phone? Check your battery health.

MagOnetech

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2022
USA
That's normal for any lithium battery. The closer to 100% the slower the charge is going to be. It's the battery management controller trying to save the battery. Also if your phone is cold it will charge slower. Most of the time the cold weather isn't a factor because it's in your pocket or inside a heated room but if you left it in your car or something when it's freezing outside it's going to charge slower.

Maybe it's slower than it used to be with your phone? Check your battery health.
Thank you for your patience in explaining. My battery is showing 97% max capacity. So I'm wondering the charging becomes very slow when the battery reaches 97%, whether it has something to do with the maximum capacity of the battery (my battery's maximum capacity is exactly 97%).

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I’ve noticed with iOS 16 that going from 97 to 100 can take a significant time - much longer than it used to. My capacity on my iPhone is above 100% and it did this so my only educated guess is that iOS 16 is helping extend the life of the battery by charging slower at higher percentages. But yeah, 13PM user here who noticed the very significant increase in time to go from 97% to 100%.

I rarely encounter this tho because I usually keep my phone between 60-90% anyway.

MagOnetech

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2022
USA
I’ve noticed with iOS 16 that going from 97 to 100 can take a significant time - much longer than it used to. My capacity on my iPhone is above 100% and it did this so my only educated guess is that iOS 16 is helping extend the life of the battery by charging slower at higher percentages. But yeah, 13PM user here who noticed the very significant increase in time to go from 97% to 100%.

I rarely encounter this tho because I usually keep my phone between 60-90% anyway.
Yes, I have upgraded to the latest system 16.1.2, this charging method may be related to the system.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yes, I have upgraded to the latest system 16.1.2, this charging method may be related to the system.
I don't think less battery capacity would make the last three percent take longer. Maybe it is something they added to iOS 16 to protect the battery. If you're really worried about longevity don't always charge it to 100% if you don't need to. I personally don't have the patience to do that and after the three years or so when it wears out and I don't want the new iPhone for some reason I'll spend $99 to get it replaced.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Its supposed to do that. The closer you get to 100%, the slower the charging gets because the current is tapering off.
Yeah it is much more pronounced on iOS 16. A good thing for longevity!

A comparison: My EV - I can go from single % to 80% in 25 mins or so depending on how much prep time I get. Going from 80% to 100% is 35mins+ - slows way down.

My 13 PM is at 102.5% health - 164 cycles.

MagOnetech

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2022
USA
I don't think less battery capacity would make the last three percent take longer. Maybe it is something they added to iOS 16 to protect the battery. If you're really worried about longevity don't always charge it to 100% if you don't need to. I personally don't have the patience to do that and after the three years or so when it wears out and I don't want the new iPhone for some reason I'll spend $99 to get it replaced.
$99 for a new battery, is that the official iPhone price?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.