Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Any idea why my iPhone 13 Pro can't see my Windows 11 PC shared files? I'm using the FILES app on the iPhone. PC and iPhone are both on the same network. PC name (or IP address) in the "connect to server" box, "connect as registered user" checked, PC username and password in the appropriate boxes. It spins for a while and then says it can't connect. I get the same results on my iPad 10. iPhone and iPad are both on ios 16.5 beta.

Am I missing something simple?

Paul

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
“If you open File Explorer, go to Network, and see an error message ("Network discovery is turned off…."), you'll need to turn on network discovery to see devices on the network that are sharing files. To turn it on, select the Network discovery is turned off banner, then select Turn on network discovery and file sharing.”

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Sorry, I should have been more specific.... I know how to configure and use Widows file sharing. It works fine among my other Windows PCs on the network. Just not to my iPhone 13 Pro or my iPad 10.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry, I should have been more specific.... I know how to configure and use Widows file sharing. It works fine among my other Windows PCs on the network. Just not to my iPhone 13 Pro or my iPad 10.
A long time ago I was the 'IT' guy for a small newspaper. We had Macs in the composing department (just me) and everybody else had PCs. The server was a PC, so I was expected as the 'computer person' to manage the server.

I had to disable digital signing on the server and allow passwords to be sent in clear text before the server would allow the Macs to connect. By the time I left that job (late 2018) not much had changed. However, at that point we only had one Intel Mac running Yosemite.

I'm betting your not being able to connect is along those lines. It shouldn't be, but…Apple.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
At my company, you can only connect a corporate-issue phone. No personal phones allowed. Shouldn't be an issue on a personal/home network unless the pc was once a corporate issue. There may be an IT policy on it that precludes file sharing without the right permissions.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
Nope, this is a plain vanilla iPhone 13 Pro purchased new from Apple.

I know this is an Apple forum but does anyone know how to force windows 11 to accept plain text passwords for file sharing? That one is beyond my Windows knowledge and Google wasn't much help either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.