Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickbelane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
Hello guys,

Unfortunately yesterday I squeezed my iPhone into the car door. I could come up with a very cool version, but that's how it went.
I moved the car from the front door to the garage while wearing a jacket with the phone in my pocket, it somehow slipped on the left side door, and I did notice, so when I closed the door it got squeezed between the door and the car body. I think the chances are 0.00000001% and could go on the book of the idiots, but unfortunately, it happened. Of course, apple care was over a few months ago.
It does not turn on anymore, it is dead. Do you think from what you see are there any chances to fix it or does it worth fixing it?
It looks like the logic board was perforated in the last picture and also looks like it is not straight anymore at the base of the phone.

IMG_0127.jpg IMG_0128.jpg IMG_0131.jpg IMG_0129.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Tsepz

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
You bent the SS? Dang

Car take any damage?

Could always take it in to Apple and see what they can do, it’ll be a new phone, but maybe it could be a repair vs replace price? I’d say turn on the charm and hope for the best

Reactions: nickbelane

nickbelane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
My wife slammed an iPhone 5 in the car door once, it was a banana shape afterwards.

That looks like an insurance claim to me as it’s far to damaged to repair.
So I am not the only one to have those unlikely accidents :D

I do not have such insurance, unfortunately, and Apple care I terminated some months ago...

nickbelane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
You bent the SS? Dang

Car take any damage?

Could always take it in to Apple and see what they can do, it’ll be a new phone, but maybe it could be a repair vs replace price? I’d say turn on the charm and hope for the best
No, the car is ok, fortunately, at least that :)

Yes I could drop by you are right. I checked a bit the prices, and a logic board is usually at Apple 300$ + screen front and back other 150/200+200 at the end it looks like 700$ damage. Plus the frame...
Not sure if then the phone is "stable" long term after all those repairs 😔

Reactions: Vref

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
No, the car is ok, fortunately, at least that :)

Yes I could drop by you are right. I checked a bit the prices, and a logic board is usually at Apple 300$ + screen front and back other 150/200+200 at the end it looks like 700$ damage. Plus the frame...
Not sure if then the phone is "stable" long term after all those repairs 😔
Apple charges $549 U.S. for an out of warranty replacement. You'll get a like new refurbished 13Pro which would be cheaper than repairing yours

nickbelane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2019
Apple charges $549 U.S. for an out of warranty replacement. You'll get a like new refurbished 13Pro which would be cheaper than repairing yours
that's great to know! I will go on Friday and let you guys know, also out of curiosity what was the "verdict".

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Many years ago my wife got into the car with her HP Veer in the pocket of her cardigan, not realising immediately why the door wouldn’t close, she slammed it on the phone in her pocket 3 times before it moved and the door shut properly.

Luckily though, in her case no major damage was caused. The screen was perfect, but there was a nice dent to the left of the camera lens on the back cover.

Posting as an anecdote so that you know you’re not the only person who’s closed their phone in a car door.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
30 mins ago i just dropped my iPhone SE 2 and its cracked the screen and its unusable as touch doesn’t work etc.

its bummed me out! Just googled and its a £129 fix for the screen replacement. I’ve gone years without a drop so it’s really really annoyed me! I’m torn between getting the repair or starting a new contract as I’m out of mine Soon. I might get one of those otter box defender cases next.

So I’ve got nothing to add except for I feel your pain!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.