Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dnill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Hi all!
Got my new iPhone 13 pro yesterday, and did some night mode testing. I compared it to my old iPhone 11 pro and the pictures taken with the 13 pro is noticeably darker. I have the exact same settings on the phones, and just for demonstration I turned the brightness gauge up to max when shooting.

Here is a photo taken with my 11 pro, wide camera (1x), brightness maxed:
5353FC0F-71D6-4A94-928F-EB3F2A1428E8.jpeg

Same settings with my 13 pro, wide camera (1x), brightness maxed:
628023A2-E9F9-4D85-8C4F-0737C063656F.jpeg

Is this what can be expected, or am I doing something wrong?

//David

• Wow
Reactions: smoking monkey

Dnill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
I think you have to change night mode to 10 seconds. I’m sure I read it in a review.
Thanks for your reply. The picture above is set to 4 seconds, tested 10 seconds yesterday and the results were exactly the same. I got back to the Apple store and they confirmed that there must be something wrong with the phone, although their guess is that it’s software related. I also tried a reset without syncing from a backup and the same results. It ended with me returning the phone for a new one, which will arrive in a month… bummed but hopefully the next one will be performing as it should.

• Wow
Reactions: smoking monkey

kinga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
USA
I love the first one, something like the same picture, but one is overexposed with more sharpness and saturation!

tranvucuong0604

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
Thanks for your reply. The picture above is set to 4 seconds, tested 10 seconds yesterday and the results were exactly the same. I got back to the Apple store and they confirmed that there must be something wrong with the phone, although their guess is that it’s software related. I also tried a reset without syncing from a backup and the same results. It ended with me returning the phone for a new one, which will arrive in a month… bummed but hopefully the next one will be performing as it should.
Does the new one fix the dark picture in night mode problem?
I have just purchased iphone 13 promax and compare night mode shot with my wife’s iphone 12. The result is worrying. The night mode pic on my iphone 13 promax is darker and oversaturated, some dark coner is unable to be seen (compared to 12 night mode pic).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.