Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafal886

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2018
I used my fingers and top of screen i moved it up. I was able to close the gap (about 0,2-0,3mm)

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
Okay so update I went to a best buy and they were gonna swap the phone for me but because they replaced it at apple they can’t find the original serial number rip

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
Update 2: went to apple store different than the one I went to and they said there was no issue so they wouldn’t repair it

BNIB

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2022
Update 2: went to apple store different than the one I went to and they said there was no issue so they wouldn’t repair it
If Apple store repair caused the loose speaker, you should take it back to where you repaired it. Be polite but persistent might help, can you point out that none of the iPhone should have loose speaker grill. This is a totally different issue to the gap and metal parts showing IMO.

Reactions: Zyon22

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
If Apple store repair caused the loose speaker, you should take it back to where you repaired it. Be polite but persistent might help, can you point out that none of the iPhone should have loose speaker grill. This is a totally different issue to the gap and metal parts showing IMO.
I just went to another apple store and they said the speaker moving is not something they can repair I was very clear and persistent they flat out said it's all fine and they can only repair actual issues with the phone I also went to Verizon and bestbuy Bestbuy ALMOST let me return it except since apple already swapped my phone once they could not get the original serial number so they said no

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
Hey guys, just a quick question to any new iPhone 13 Pro owners like me:

Do you guys have what appears to be like the tiniest gap in between the top speaker and the steel band? It’s only visible at certain angles in the right light, but i’m worried that I may have received a dud with a broken waterproof seal that will need replacing. Check attached photos to see what I mean.

I appreciate any help, Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 38B58C86-F04F-4B1E-AAE9-92A2A471D3BE.jpeg
    38B58C86-F04F-4B1E-AAE9-92A2A471D3BE.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 242

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
Yep I made a separate post about apples response. And yes it’s at the top and left side for me

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
Hey guys, just a quick question to any new iPhone 13 Pro owners like me:

Do you guys have what appears to be like the tiniest gap in between the top speaker and the steel band? It’s only visible at certain angles in the right light, but i’m worried that I may have received a dud with a broken waterproof seal that will need replacing. Check attached photos to see what I mean.

I appreciate any help, Thanks in advance
I have this same gap and apple is saying its normal and its a tolerance gap and waterproofing won’t be affected by it but i still think it’s quite big and it can cause water damage i went to apple and they are denying a replacement and they just say it all comes under cosmetic issues and it won’t deteriorate the functioning of the phone in our region we don’t have any return policy so in short im stuck with this issue now,any ways if it doesn’t hamper water proofing of my iPhone im ok with it.

Attachments

• 877C6A8E-B6C5-42F9-AD9C-1BCE1FAEF349.jpeg
    877C6A8E-B6C5-42F9-AD9C-1BCE1FAEF349.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 108

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
I have this same gap and apple is saying its normal and its a tolerance gap and waterproofing won’t be affected by it but i still think it’s quite big and it can cause water damage i went to apple and they are denying a replacement and they just say it all comes under cosmetic issues and it won’t deteriorate the functioning of the phone in our region we don’t have any return policy so in short im stuck with this issue now,any ways if it doesn’t hamper water proofing of my iPhone im ok with it.
That’s actually crazy they told me something similar I wonder if the big chair man told them to deny returns for that

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
That’s actually crazy they told me something similar I wonder if the big chair man told them to deny returns for that
Any ways i have reported apple about the issue and they have a case id for it so incase in future anything happens to my device they will take care of it since i reported the issue on day 1 of purchase.

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
Any ways i have reported apple about the issue and they have a case id for it so incase in future anything happens to my device they will take care of it since i reported the issue on day 1 of purchase.
Well something did happen for me the earpiece is loose and they won’t fix it so don’t count on it

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
Well something did happen for me the earpiece is loose and they won’t fix it so don’t count on it
For loose speaker i think they will purely think its a cosmetic issue, did u pushed the display upward to close the gap coz that could make the speaker loose other than that if it was out of box I would not accept that in any given explanation by the apple team,but for this since they know its a manufacturing fault they will surely help with that and I think the chances are v thin that it will be water damaged since the water seal is below the display so the water will just be gathered in the gap but it won’t go in the internals since it is totally sealed from down i have 3 13 pro max in my house 2 of them are perfect still i can see the metal down under certain angle and light and the one i have is a bit bigger.as for now people claiming that they got a replacement chances are v little coz now apple already know this is a widespread issue and it won’t degrade the user experience in any ways,before they replaced the device coz they were not quite aware of it and they were not having any clear explanation for it but now apple atleast in my region will not entertain any replacement for gapping issues.still if it bothers some one its better to sell it and buy other unit but no one can guarantee that that unit won’t have this gap.even i have ocd to certain extent but now as everything else is working fine im not thinking much about it.

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
For loose speaker i think they will purely think its a cosmetic issue, did u pushed the display upward to close the gap coz that could make the speaker loose other than that if it was out of box I would not accept that in any given explanation by the apple team,but for this since they know its a manufacturing fault they will surely help with that and I think the chances are v thin that it will be water damaged since the water seal is below the display so the water will just be gathered in the gap but it won’t go in the internals since it is totally sealed from down i have 3 13 pro max in my house 2 of them are perfect still i can see the metal down under certain angle and light and the one i have is a bit bigger.as for now people claiming that they got a replacement chances are v little coz now apple already know this is a widespread issue and it won’t degrade the user experience in any ways,before they replaced the device coz they were not quite aware of it and they were not having any clear explanation for it but now apple atleast in my region will not entertain any replacement for gapping issues.still if it bothers some one its better to sell it and buy other unit but no one can guarantee that that unit won’t have this gap.even i have ocd to certain extent but now as everything else is working fine im not thinking much about it.
Yeah they won’t replace it for cosmetic issue but also the earpiece speaker is loose after repair which is just unacceptable. Also they scratched the frame noticeably

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
The display is attached to the screen moving the screen won’t make the earpiece loose. Also my device has gap on the side too

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
Yeah they won’t replace it for cosmetic issue but also the earpiece speaker is loose after repair which is just unacceptable. Also they scratched the frame noticeably
Your issue seems to be worst then if i would be you I wouldn’t have accepted any other damages except for gap,I accept the gap since I know apple’s explanation behind it and which makes sense ,any way’s if its condition is bothering u too much then I would recommend to have apple seniors look at it and just ask them to help u out by reaching them again and incase u don’t get any help u can sell it and buy a new one or else u can wait until 14 comes out and then swap this out for the 14 pro.i still think we should settle for some thing acceptable in terms of quality coz these are mass produced units even after replacement there will be one or the other issue so I recommend everyone to be happy and enjoy your new device if it is acceptable.and lastly apple senior have guaranteed me that there will be no water damage coz of the gap and if it happens we will look after it we have total 15-20 litmus buttons inside an iPhone and if at all the water damage is from this region we will come yo know about that and we will provide u resolution for it so enjoy ur new device and don’t think much.this is what apple told me.

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
Your issue seems to be worst then if i would be you I wouldn’t have accepted any other damages except for gap,I accept the gap since I know apple’s explanation behind it and which makes sense ,any way’s if its condition is bothering u too much then I would recommend to have apple seniors look at it and just ask them to help u out by reaching them again and incase u don’t get any help u can sell it and buy a new one or else u can wait until 14 comes out and then swap this out for the 14 pro.i still think we should settle for some thing acceptable in terms of quality coz these are mass produced units even after replacement there will be one or the other issue so I recommend everyone to be happy and enjoy your new device if it is acceptable.and lastly apple senior have guaranteed me that there will be no water damage coz of the gap and if it happens we will look after it we have total 15-20 litmus buttons inside an iPhone and if at all the water damage is from this region we will come yo know about that and we will provide u resolution for it so ur new device and don’t think much.this is what apple told me.

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
Your issue seems to be worst then if i would be you I wouldn’t have accepted any other damages except for gap,I accept the gap since I know apple’s explanation behind it and which makes sense ,any way’s if its condition is bothering u too much then I would recommend to have apple seniors look at it and just ask them to help u out by reaching them again and incase u don’t get any help u can sell it and buy a new one or else u can wait until 14 comes out and then swap this out for the 14 pro.i still think we should settle for some thing acceptable in terms of quality coz these are mass produced units even after replacement there will be one or the other issue so I recommend everyone to be happy and enjoy your new device if it is acceptable.and lastly apple senior have guaranteed me that there will be no water damage coz of the gap and if it happens we will look after it we have total 15-20 litmus buttons inside an iPhone and if at all the water damage is from this region we will come yo know about that and we will provide u resolution for it so ur new device and don’t think much.this is what apple told me.
Except that I said that and they kept denying it. I did not accept the damages they caused to the phone and I think it’s unacceptable. I hope the apple senior was agree with me

rafal886

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2018
I had gap but i used my finger and i moved a little screen to the top. You should try. Now i haven’t gap and i don’t see metal. I hope that i did not damaged the gasket and my phone is waterproof still

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
I had gap but i used my finger and i moved a little screen to the top. You should try. Now i haven’t gap and i don’t see metal. I hope that i did not damaged the gasket and my phone is waterproof still
You realize all you did was move the gap to the bottom of the phone

Aftabkhan1993

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2022
Except that I said that and they kept denying it. I did not accept the damages they caused to the phone and I think it’s unacceptable. I hope the apple senior was agree with me
I always take photos before submitting my device to apple and I won’t accept any damages done by them if u have pics before submitting u can argue on it since u don’t have images there is v less change that apple can help u out with it since apple always consider all these things as cosmetic damages and they only give hardware warranty so if ur hardware is in good form and u are able to use ur device apple will never help u out but damages done by them should not be excepted i won’t take the delivery and sign the job sheet until i get the device in same condition as i gave them.
i would never try that expensive experiment until i have apple care + coz any thing can happen if u slide the display with fingers.the gap is actually not a big issue imo its just a minor issue which won’t do any water damage or it won’t interfere with normal working of the iphone.I think everyone should enjoy using their new phone instead of playing the replacement game which is just a matter of luck.if the mobile is acceptable one should never do unnecessary repairs or replacements.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Would you mind telling us a little more how you did that? With the phone in your hand or lying on the table? When I try doing it my fingers just slide on the screen. Thanks.

Zyon22

macrumors member
May 17, 2022
Would you mind telling us a little more how you did that? With the phone in your hand or lying on the table? When I try doing it my fingers just slide on the screen. Thanks.
Take 2 fingers and push really hard a bunch until the gap goes away. Probably not the best for the phone but it works. Or a suction cup works better just don’t pull up

Last edited:
Reactions: outlawarth
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.