Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8hii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Checked out my XS storage before ordering a new 13 pro Max. On the XS, I was using 64.7GB out of 256. That made the choice easy. Well, after transferring data over to the 13, the 13 is reporting 116.6GB out of 256. I'm unhappy about that... no way would I have chosen the 256 if I knew I'd be using up 1/2 the space out of the gate.

MrP90

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
Florida
Checked out my XS storage before ordering a new 13 pro Max. On the XS, I was using 64.7GB out of 256. That made the choice easy. Well, after transferring data over to the 13, the 13 is reporting 116.6GB out of 256. I'm unhappy about that... no way would I have chosen the 256 if I knew I'd be using up 1/2 the space out of the gate.
Check how much space Messages is taking up . I have my synced to the Cloud . Old phone was showing 3.33gb taken up from Messages and new phone was 55GB plus . I think it auto offloads but not sure
How to initiate it manually .

gr8hii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
It seems to be my photos taking up the most space. I’m hoping that the new phone just downloaded my photo library to do some analysis on the photos. I use the iCloud library to save space. Go figure!

Danbrown521

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Lakeland, Fl
I’m thinking about taking back my 128 gb and getting a 256. I had 55gb used up on my previous iPhone and now I have 98 used up after transferring … 68 gb of that is in photos. Not sure how that happened.

gr8hii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
this person seems to have narrowed it down to photo optimization.

Danbrown521

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Lakeland, Fl
Went to the apple store yesterday. They suggested I rest my phone and start from a back up, even though my back up was with the 13pm. Sure enough that fixed it for me. Photos was taking up near 70 gb, but after the restore photos is only taking up 1 gb. After seeing the sierra blue color in store I almost wanted to return my graphite one to get that color.. lol Also, the restore fixed my Apple Watch unlock as well.

Reactions: mikehoiu

gr8hii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
Went to the apple store yesterday. They suggested I rest my phone and start from a back up, even though my back up was with the 13pm. Sure enough that fixed it for me. Photos was taking up near 70 gb, but after the restore photos is only taking up 1 gb. After seeing the sierra blue color in store I almost wanted to return my graphite one to get that color.. lol Also, the restore fixed my Apple Watch unlock as well.
I just did this and you're right, storage is WAY down now. Will be interesting to see how it changes over next few days. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.