Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goneeuro02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
Good morning all. Hope everyone was able to order the phone they wanted. I am already having some buyers remorse and wanted some input. I read that the 128gb Pro Max can not do 4k ProRes recording. It is held back to 1080. This is not something I will ever use, but just curious if there are any other things that are restricted in the 128gb model. Is it worth it to reorder the 256gb? Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
If you don’t plan to use ProRes, just stick with the 128GB, unless you really need the space. There are no other restrictions beside ProRes.

goneeuro02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2016
If you don’t plan to use ProRes, just stick with the 128GB, unless you really need the space. There are no other restrictions beside ProRes.
Thats what I thought. the 128 has been fine for my 12 Pro Max. I will never need Pro Res so I am good. I ordered my wife the 256 cause she may use it at some point, so at least one of the phones has it. Thanks for the input.

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
The only other material difference is less visible. The 128GB will have the slowest write speed versus 256GB+ capacities, due to the technical nature of how the storage chips work. But in terms of usability, someone will likely never even notice this at all. It's just a flex when it comes to running a synthetic benchmark. When phones start getting in people's hands, this might be one of those tests you'd see thrown into the mix when reviews pop up.

Reactions: goneeuro02
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.