Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
Hi, recently i bought a Iphone 13 Pro Max and i love it.

But one thing make me feel sad about the cameras.

The quality of the photos its unreal, but the focus have a strange behavior.

On main câmera (1x), principally in low light conditions, the focus freak out, like struggling and wont focus.

Its like the focus goes front and back, but cant focus anything.

And the problem its only on photo mode, in video mode, the focus aparentely its normal.

I found a video with the same problem:

This is a software or a hardware issue?

Your Iphone 13 Pro Max have any focus issue?

I return my phone to apple or wait for the next updtade?

Thank You :)

hyelton

macrumors member
May 23, 2015

On main câmera (1x), principally in low light conditions, the focus freak out, like struggling and wont focus.

And the problem its only on photo mode, in video mode, the focus aparentely its normal.

Did you toggle the macro mode control? To turn it off?

Or is the issue exactly like that video? If like that video that is “normal”. My iPhone 12 Pro did that as well.

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
Did you toggle the macro mode control? To turn it off?

Or is the issue exactly like that video? If like that video that is “normal”. My iPhone 12 Pro did that as well.

Hi :)

I turned off the macro mode control, and the problem wont stop.

I try to use other camera apps, like moment (on the app, dont have macro mode automaticyly) to see if the problem stop, but wont stop.

The crazy focus continue on main app and others apps.

And its very similar to the video, the focus goin front and back, and i need to click on the scrren to lock the focus.

The automatic focus dont work in thats conditions (1x câmera, low light, subject 8-15cm).

Another thing i notice its the "crazy focus" occours when the background have some patterns, like a colored pillow, or my dogs bed.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
The 1x camera is not able to focus on close objects as the sensor is bigger than last years. It will happen more often if you turn auto macro off

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
The 1x camera is not able to focus on close objects as the sensor is bigger than last years. It will happen more often if you turn auto macro off
Cool information! I dont knew this.
But the "bug" occur when subject its 8-10cm away.
Its not so closer, its a normal distance for the 1x.
It is a normal behavior? Not a hardware issue?

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
One thing i have missed to talk its:

My Iphone 11 Pro Max doesnt have this bug, i put side by side and made tests, the bug just ocurr on the 13.

jtuk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2014

Same problem and more. The camera of my 13 pro max has been a total disaster. It Annie’s me how people here just tell you to use a different app to get decent results. You should get decent results from the native app! These phones cost a fortune! We should get in the very last same quality as previous models. My camera will not focus correctly. It washes out highlights. And video… totally over exposes so there is no detail on the sky etc. I am absolutely furious to have been duped into getting this phone! I have had an iPhone ever since 3g one and have reinstall upgraded always string an improvement to previous model. But with this phone I don’t even know where to start. It is just so bad!

Reactions: Fred Zed

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Cool information! I dont knew this.
But the "bug" occur when subject its 8-10cm away.
Its not so closer, its a normal distance for the 1x.
It is a normal behavior? Not a hardware issue?

10cm is super close for the 13 pro 1x camera alas. It’s a PITA, it baffles me too. Older phones camera are also slightly sharper. I opened a thread about it a couple of months. It’s just like this.

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
Same problem and more. The camera of my 13 pro max has been a total disaster. It Annie’s me how people here just tell you to use a different app to get decent results. You should get decent results from the native app! These phones cost a fortune! We should get in the very last same quality as previous models. My camera will not focus correctly. It washes out highlights. And video… totally over exposes so there is no detail on the sky etc. I am absolutely furious to have been duped into getting this phone! I have had an iPhone ever since 3g one and have reinstall upgraded always string an improvement to previous model. But with this phone I don’t even know where to start. It is just so bad!

Lol, so isnt a hardware issue on my Iphone, maybe can be a software issue?
I think the same! Its a expensive device, the camera cant have this issues.

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
10cm is super close for the 13 pro 1x camera alas. It’s a PITA, it baffles me too. Older phones camera are also slightly sharper. I opened a thread about it a couple of months. It’s just like this.
I will see your topic!
I made one test, and when i put the subject 20-30cm, the problem continue.
But, i think its "normal", non a hardware issue specifically on my device.
What do you think?

Gcerdan

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
Here the same problem. Very bad quality of the photos of my iPhone 13 pro Max. I have verified that my iPhone XS takes better photos and also a huawei p30 pro. I called AppleCare and the person who answered me recognized that a lot of people were calling complaining about the same problem with the cameras of the iPhone 13 pro Max. My solution: return it now that I can

Thurbis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2021
Here the same problem. Very bad quality of the photos of my iPhone 13 pro Max. I have verified that my iPhone XS takes better photos and also a huawei p30 pro. I called AppleCare and the person who answered me recognized that a lot of people were calling complaining about the same problem with the cameras of the iPhone 13 pro Max. My solution: return it now that I can
The same problem with focus?
If a lot of people having the same problem, its more probabily be a software or a hardware issue?

You’re not me

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2021
What’s happening in your video is your phone is recognizing the faces on the screen in the background and it doesn’t know what you are trying to do, focus on the faces and blur the foreground or focus on the foreground(your hand) and let the background be out of focus. It happens more in low light because the lens is at a large aperture and so the depth of field is much more shallow than when there is more light.

Reactions: beeftick

scott Lashville

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021

I think this could be a software issue where the focus of the camera is bouncing because shifting of the cameras is happening. The autofocus has this problem because the sensor is not working properly to focus on a single object.

beeftick

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
What’s happening in your video is your phone is recognizing the faces on the screen in the background and it doesn’t know what you are trying to do, focus on the faces and blur the foreground or focus on the foreground(your hand) and let the background be out of focus. It happens more in low light because the lens is at a large aperture and so the depth of field is much more shallow than when there is more light.
This makes the most sense.

Jldaviscmd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021

My 1x camera focuses just fine on my hand, even with it obviously closer than the video.

I have auto-macro turned off so it’s not switching to the .5x camera either.

There’s an issue.

Jldaviscmd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
Tried to recreate the video in the OP, but with my hand even closer. It’s still low light (despite what it looks like in video) because it’s very early morning here.

Even with faces in the background my camera snaps to my hand instantly.

OP, I’d bring this to apples attention. I know for a fact that they can swap the 1x camera module on the 13PM in less than an hour. Might be an option for you.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Same issue here. The camera on my 13 Pro kind of sucks. Statistically it is supposed to be a great camera. In practice, at least for me, it's not, especially for close up shots.

ERROR_710

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
Any fixes in 2020? updated to 15.3 hoping it will fix this issue. Camera sucks so badly, It keeps refocusing.

oman69

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2022
hey guys im having the same issues, so does many of you having this issues or its is normal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.