Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
Was using my Iphone 13 Pro max just normal while charging it with an official apple magsafe charger. I was just watching some YT vids so nothing what could stress the phone…
After a while i was going up and removed the phone from charger and i could suddenly not turn it on anymore. It was completely dead. Tried Force Restart and everything but phone stays dead.

Genius Bar bad support like always (it was bought there and still under warranty):
They checked the phone and said… yeah the motherboard don‘t get energy anymore and its clearly a defect. We can replace the motherbaord it it should be no problem… after a while he came back and said… „the computer said no“ he is not allowed to repair or exchange… „why does the computer say no?“ „i don‘t know but computer says no….“ he will ask a manager… after a while he came back and said “sorry but computer says still no…, maybe it happen recently very often and apple want to check that… „yeah but thats not my problem isn‘t it?“ “sorry but computer says no… we have to send it to apple and you have to wait.., usually its not problem have all the parts here but im not allowed if the computer says no“.

this is really like in an old monty phyton sketch but unfortunately not the first time i got this… and they refused to tell me why the hell the computer says no.

Does someone had ever a similiar problem? that an iphone can just die by removing the magsafe charger?

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Sounds like they did offer to fix it, they just had to send it to depot. Sucks but it happens sometimes. They should give you a loaner phone in the meantime

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Usually means there's a problem with the serial number.

The serial can be cloned and if someone has made a warranty device replacement claim elsewhere using that number, it'll flag in the system. They send to an Apple service depot for inspection.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
Usually means there's a problem with the serial number.

The serial can be cloned and if someone has made a warranty device replacement claim elsewhere using that number, it'll flag in the system. They send to an Apple service depot for inspection.
It was bought in an official Apple Store which I could documented. I would have understood that if the phone was bought somewhere else....
The apple representative said as well he don't understand that for a phone which was bought directly in the Apple Store.

And for whatever reason the computer said "no" (he couldn't tell which is ridiculous as well) I should get an replacement and ofc like always if I did sth wrong I have to pay for that.

The law here said it has to be fixed according to the customers wish while under warranty (replace, money back, repair). Just for the case the costs for the seller are inappropriately high the seller can choose how they fix the problem if its not to a disadvantage of the customer.... problem is that most of the seller (except Amazon) don't follow the law and make it hard as possible for the customer...

but in general... somebody heard already cases about an iPhone suddenly died after charging with magsafe?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It was bought in an official Apple Store which I could documented. I would have understood that if the phone was bought somewhere else....
The apple representative said as well he don't understand that for a phone which was bought directly in the Apple Store.

And for whatever reason the computer said "no" (he couldn't tell which is ridiculous as well) I should get an replacement and ofc like always if I did sth wrong I have to pay for that.

The law here said it has to be fixed according to the customers wish while under warranty (replace, money back, repair). Just for the case the costs for the seller are inappropriately high the seller can choose how they fix the problem if its not to a disadvantage of the customer.... problem is that most of the seller (except Amazon) don't follow the law and make it hard as possible for the customer...

If somebody clones your serial and gets a replacement device, your serial becomes invalid. When you bring your phone to the store, Apple doesn't know what's going on. Based on their info, your device shouldn't exist in the wild. It doesn't matter where you bought it or what documents you have. They need to examine the device closely to see what parts are inside.

Reactions: Fred Zed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.