Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
I am torn I need some advice lol. I have a launch day iPhone 13 Pro Max and love it, we’ll almost I grew to hate the size. I don’t really want to get a new phone but itching for the smaller version just the pro. Debating should I just suck it up and buy an iPhone 14 pro? Plus I want to keep my iPhone for at least 3 - 5 years and I would like to get at least a 512gb. Right now I only have the 128gb. What would you guys do in my shoes?

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I think in your case, I'd try the 14 Pro if the size of the Pro Max is bothering you. You've had the phone long enough
to tell, so it isn't a question of "getting used to it".

Just know you may not enjoy the battery trade off or you may end up missing
the larger screen size, that has happened with some here. Others I've seen that have done this, they are happier with the smaller phone and no regrets. The only one way to know is to make the jump and test.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It really depends. How much did you pay for your 13 Pro Max? How much can you sell it for? Do you have Apple Care on it?

Personally I would wait for the 15. It will have a couple pretty big upgrades like USB-C support-finally! It will also have a better processor with the a17 most likely being on 3nm. Just those two features I would want to wait for if I plan to keep the phone for a long time. It will age better.

Honestly the 13 Pro Max is one of the better iPhones made. It was the first iPhone with an adaptive Pro Motion display, better cameras, great battery life and double the base storage. Unless you had a 11 or 12 I don't think there are too many features you are missing in the 14 Pro. Sure it has a hole punch pill shaped cut out(copied from Android) and better cameras and a slightly faster processor but that is about it. Dynamic Island is kind of gimmicky to me.

Sure you have a large phone but is the Pro at 6.1" that much smaller or lighter? Still has stainless steel frame. Also there are rumors the 15 will use titanium. I kind of doubt it but if it were true it would be much lighter and stronger but more of a scratch magnet as titanium is a softer surface metal. So if light and Pro are a thing I would wait and see what pans out.

I have been tempted for the 14 Pro Max but trade in value or selling it second hand I would still pay more for not much in return. I really like the deep purple color but that is not enough of a reason to fork over $400 for it in my personal opinion. Plus I have Apple care until the end of next year which is right around the next release. If I sell the 13 Pro Max in November next year or September it will still have Apple Care for a couple more months which means if I sell second hand I can get a bit more or if a buyer has an issue they can take it to Apple. So it makes no sense for me to upgrade now. I think you may be in a similar position.

Only you can say whether it is worth it and if you want to spend the money.

I am also very curious about the new Pixel phones. I use Android and iOS and in 7 days the Pixel 7 will cost $499 and it has a 6.3" screen 90hz refresh rate, AOD, good cameras, call screening, etc. I have an S22 plus and with trade in Google would be paying me money so it is very tempting but my iPhone 13 Pro Max is not going anywhere!! Lol

Last edited:

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
I think in your case, I'd try the 14 Pro if the size of the Pro Max is bothering you. You've had the phone long enough
to tell, so it isn't a question of "getting used to it".

Just know you may not enjoy the battery trade off or you may end up missing
the larger screen size, that has happened with some here. Others I've seen that have done this, they are happier with the smaller phone and no regrets. The only one way to know is to make the jump and test.

I am worried about battery life. I am sure I will like the size as I had a 12 pro and enjoyed it.

Reactions: davedvdy

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2017
It really depends. How much did you pay for your 13 Pro Max? How much can you sell it for? Do you have Apple Care on it?

Personally I would wait for the 15. It will have a couple pretty big upgrades like USB-C support-finally! It will also have a better processor with the a17 most likely being on 3nm. Just those two features I would want to wait for if I plan to keep the phone for a long time. It will age better.

Honestly the 13 Pro Max is one of the better iPhones made. It was the first iPhone with an adaptive Pro Motion display, better cameras, great battery life and double the base storage. Unless you had a 11 or 12 I don't think there are too many features you are missing in the 14 Pro. Sure it has a hole punch pill shaped cut out(copied from Android) and better cameras and a slightly faster processor but that is about it. Dynamic Island is kind of gimmicky to me.

Sure you have a large phone but is the Pro at 6.1" that much smaller or lighter? Still has stainless steel frame. Also there are rumors the 15 will use titanium. I kind of doubt it but if it were true it would be much lighter and stronger but more of a scratch magnet as titanium is a softer surface metal. So if light and Pro are a thing I would wait and see what pans out.

I have been tempted for the 14 Pro Max but trade in value or selling it second hand I would still pay more for not much in return. I really like the deep purple color but that is not enough of a reason to fork over $400 for it in my personal opinion. Plus I have Apple care until the end of next year which is right around the next release. If I sell the 13 Pro Max in November next year or September it will still have Apple Care for a couple more months which means if I sell second hand I can get a bit more or if a buyer has an issue they can take it to Apple. So it makes no sense for me to upgrade now. I think you may be in a similar position.

Only you can say whether it is worth it and if you want to spend the money.

I am also very curious about the new Pixel phones. I use Android and iOS and in 7 days the Pixel 7 will cost $499 and it has a 6.3" screen 90hz refresh rate, AOD, good cameras, call screening, etc. I have an S22 plus and with trade in Google would be paying me money so it is very tempting but my iPhone 13 Pro Max is not going anywhere!! Lol

Yeah I might hold off. I’m already 2 months in from the iPhone 14 pro launch, I guess I can wait 10 more months hahaha.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I am worried about battery life. I am sure I will like the size as I had a 12 pro and enjoyed it.
Battery life on the 13 Pro Max is seriously great. It is a 3 day phone for me and on heavy days a 2 day phone. I have the base model and I have 29 gb used with all my apps and photos. I don't think I could use a phone that doesn't at least get 2 days of battery life and my S22 plus is right at that limit. If I use it heavily I am around 50% at the end of the day. I had a regular s22 and it would just get me through a day and that was not a good feeling. I am pretty sure the 14 Pro has good battery life just maybe not 3 days but certainly 1.5 to 2 days and maybe more.

You seem pretty tempted. I would buy it on trade in deal and test it out before you send your Pro Max back to Apple. Or sell it second hand after you are sure you like the 14 Pro. Really the only way to know for sure. That way if you have any regrets you can just return the 14 and keep what you already have??

Reactions: davedvdy

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
You seem pretty tempted. I would buy it on trade in deal and test it out before you send your Pro Max back to Apple. Or sell it second hand after you are sure you like the 14 Pro. Really the only way to know for sure. That way if you have any regrets you can just return the 14 and keep what you already have??

I agree with the testing it first before trading it in to Apple part if planning on doing a trade in. Even though it creates a 2nd trip to go back-- once the trade in is done, the OP will not be able to get his old iPhone back so that part is permanent and a done deal.

I actually traded my previous 13 Pro back only after first trying out the new one for about 12 days, and my CC was credited back the difference in Store.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I went for a trade in from the 11 pro to the 14 pro. I have smaller hands and the size has been fine for what I wanted and I wanted 512 GB but settled for 256 GB. the main reason is my 11 pro had was a base storage and it was getting to the point I had to do a reset every time a new OS was put out just so I get the latest features. After the reset and download of the newer software I then restore from iCloud account. A hassle but it worked to get the software. I am still only at 69 GB on my 14 Pro and have plenty of room now.

The main issues I had with the Pro Max is the fact the phone is almost impossible to easily slip in a pocket, is difficult to use with one hand and then fit where it to fit in my life. The Pro series having all the same feature set as Pro Max except the larger battery is fine for me. Since I ma retired I can easily find someplace to plug in the charger and both my vehicles also have CarPlay that is plugged in I can charge the phone on the go anyway. At home I have a lightening cable hanging out just about everywhere in the home.

Reactions: koigirl

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
My experience: Went from 11 Pro to 13 Pro and was impressed by the the overall experience and improvements with 13 Pro. Recently, I switched to the 14 Pro and have to admit that I haven’t noticed any changes in terms of usage experience. 13 Pro and 14 Pro are basically the same devices.

In your case, I would definitely stick with the 13 Pro Max, given it’s got a better battery than the 14 Pro.

HelyCopter

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2021
I am torn I need some advice lol. I have a launch day iPhone 13 Pro Max and love it, we’ll almost I grew to hate the size. I don’t really want to get a new phone but itching for the smaller version just the pro. Debating should I just suck it up and buy an iPhone 14 pro? Plus I want to keep my iPhone for at least 3 - 5 years and I would like to get at least a 512gb. Right now I only have the 128gb. What would you guys do in my shoes?
I did exactly that but with the previous gen, and. couldn't be happier, at the beginning it looked small and I was freaking out, but the your brain and vision make the adjustments and is as good as the PRO max, now I grab a pro max and I can't understand how I ever considered having that phone, is the only sector on the market that I think android has the upper, you can comfortably maneuver a 6.7 android phone because they are "leaner" compared to the pro max with the same screen size, my wife had the s21 ultra and its so comfortable, while I had the 12 pro Max and it felt like a CRT TV.

I did exactly as you described and for the time being I will stick to the pros. they are the perfect size

Reactions: koigirl

Misos

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2022
Stick with the iPhone 13 Pro Max. The iPhone 14 pro has been stuttering nonstop while gaming. I regret upgrading my iPhone 13 Pro Max to this disappointment.

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
So I took the plunge and got a iPhone 14 pro and I love it! I’ll probably never get a max again.
I have been thinking about it too, have a buyer for my 13 max but it's such a good phone lol
What's better being lighter, smaller or both? Like the pill?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So I took the plunge and got a iPhone 14 pro and I love it! I’ll probably never get a max again.

Good for you! Glad you took the plunge!

I like bigger screens but I find myself drawn to my s22 plus I recently got because it is a little smaller and lighter than my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The Pro Max is a great phone but I am really hoping they switch to titanium because stainless steel is just too heavy.

It is funny because I never noticed the weight or size of the 13 Pro Max until I got the s22 plus. It has a hardened aluminum frame with glass and a very slightly smaller screen and bezels.

I used to think weight and size didn't matter on a small device like a phone but I am realizing that I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong I still love my iPhone 13 Pro Max but you got me thinking about it a Pro 14 but I don't know if I could hang with a 6.1" screen. If it were like 6.4, 6.3" I would not hesitate.

Enjoy your new phone!!

Reactions: Mr.C and Davidhedge

Mcuserr

Suspended
Nov 9, 2022
Good for you! Glad you took the plunge!

I like bigger screens but I find myself drawn to my s22 plus I recently got because it is a little smaller and lighter than my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The Pro Max is a great phone but I am really hoping they switch to titanium because stainless steel is just too heavy.

It is funny because I never noticed the weight or size of the 13 Pro Max until I got the s22 plus. It has a hardened aluminum frame with glass and a very slightly smaller screen and bezels.

I used to think weight and size didn't matter on a small device like a phone but I am realizing that I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong I still love my iPhone 13 Pro Max but you got me thinking about it a Pro 14 but I don't know if I could hang with a 6.1" screen. If it were like 6.4, 6.3" I would not hesitate.

Enjoy your new phone!!
If you don't watch video on your phone and I have a 11" iPad Pro, I am thinking why am I lugging this big 13 max around lol, just to check some apps, mail, texts, my main use is calls, I have CarPlay in my car too.
Battery wouldn't worry me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.