Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
This is not an affordability/value discussion question, rather a technical/feature one.

I skipped the 14 Pro since I didn't find anything about it an appealing improvement on the 13 Pro. Turned out to be a good call given that the battery was questionable.

I was excited about the 15 Pro and the weight reduction, until I used it for a few days and realized that it is not significant at all in my use case. The battery was also worse than my 13 Pro (which is on 89%), and it was getting hot (this was before the updates). However, even without that, it was quite underwhelming, and the DI was quite annoying, so I decided to stick with the 13 Pro yet another cycle.

When do others using 13 Pro plan to change?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
My 13 pro has 85% battery capacity, but has been steady on 86% for almost a year and dropped 1% quite recently.
Not sure if its related to a bug or the issue I had a about a year ago when the device had lousy battery time.
That was fixed when reinstalling the fitness app that I had uninstalled (I don't use it).
iOS 17 has helped this device further I feel in terms of stand-by time.

Since the stand-by time was "fixed" and back to normal I will prob hold on to the device for at least a year longer and see how the iPhone 16 are.
Sure there are small fun updates with the newer phones but not enough to motivate me to update.
The USB-C option is a nice one, same with improved cameras.
Weight is another one that has had me considering the regular 13 a few times.

If the iPhone 16 (non pro) has cameras that are on par with the 13 pro, 120hz screen, weighs less i might consider upgrading.

Reactions: BigDO

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Yeah, I have no interest in cameras whatsoever, or "premium" materials, but 60Hz is a deal breaker for me.

It doesn't sound like 16 Pro will offer anything notable, but if the vanilla 16 offers 90Hz or more, remains light and has solid battery, it becomes a solid contender. Sadly, I don't see that happening, and I think Apple will keep the ProMotion as a gatekeeper.

So the 13 Pro soldiers on. One surprising thing has been how resilient it has been - dropped many times (in apple leather case) without a single crack, nick or scratch on the screen (no screen protector).

Reactions: servenvolley

DanielG97

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2022
Maybe this year with the 16 Pro, or next year. I’m thinking about simply replacing the battery in my 13 Pro Max and keeping it for the foreseeable future, as there’s nothing more that I want or need from a phone. The 13 PM, to me, is nigh perfect. ProMotion, significantly better cameras over the 12 series, crazy battery life that’ll get me through a day and a half even 2 years later, no shortage of performance, incredible HDR screen, etc. Apple reached their peak with the 13 Pro series, to me, and are now just adding onto that model with new features, features that the 13 Pro could have easily handled/supported.

I don’t really need better cameras on my phone; I’ve got 4 big cameras that I use for serious photography. I don’t need more power, an even better and brighter display, etc. I’m good and happy for now. But, I’ll say this: once I do finally upgrade from the 13 PM, I’ll be done upgrading my phone for several, several years. I probably won’t need to do so again until I’m in my early thirties lol.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Probably this year as my contract is up in September. Nothing wrong with my 13 Pro Max though to be fair, still as fast as the day it was released.

That’s what I thought I’d do this year, as my contract expired, but the 15 Pro was so underwhelming compared to the 13 Pro that I decided not to take the device despite extending my contract.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That’s what I thought I’d do this year, as my contract expired, but the 15 Pro was so underwhelming compared to the 13 Pro that I decided not to take the device despite extending my contract.
Indeed, but I suppose we just have to accept very little changes year on year these days apart from minor tweaks. I have a 14 Pro as a works phone and there is very little difference between that and my 13 Pro Max. Quite often I am taking pictures in similar scenarios and the results are much the same, but that is a good thing I think as it means better longevity.

My plan at the moment is to upgrade to the 16 Pro Max this year, but will see at the time as it might be that it could be for little benefit. We'll see.

Reactions: BigDO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.