Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have been using a 6a and I really like but the screen got white lines and unusable. I bought a 13 Max Pro off a friend that upgraded for cheap due to busted back glass but the camera lenses are fine other than a crack over whatever the thing is in the lower right. I like this iPhone it is nice and the battery seems pretty good but I do prefer my Pixel interface though. The camera is the most important thing and so far I haven’t been out in nature to test but overall is this iPhone camera for pics better or worse than the pixel? If it isn’t as good I’m definitely going to get another 6a

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I have been using a 6a and I really like but the screen got white lines and unusable. I bought a 13 Max Pro off a friend that upgraded for cheap due to busted back glass but the camera lenses are fine other than a crack over whatever the thing is in the lower right. I like this iPhone it is nice and the battery seems pretty good but I do prefer my Pixel interface though. The camera is the most important thing and so far I haven’t been out in nature to test but overall is this iPhone camera for pics better or worse than the pixel? If it isn’t as good I’m definitely going to get another 6a
The iPhone camera will have better hardware for sure, especially if you want to use ProRaw and edit on a PC/Mac. The 6a will have lesser hardware but better software tricks up its sleeve to make it feel about as good as the iPhone.

modusoul

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2021
iPhone= better hardware, but sh*t image processing

Pixel= inferior hardware, but stellar image processing

I have a 14pm and p7p.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I had a iPhone 13 Pro Max for over a year and it was a great phone but the camera was nothing special in my personal opinion. For what Apple is giving you, i.e. the quality of the sensors, etc. it is a great camera system but the hardware is rather old comparatively speaking to Android flagship. I actually thought the camera was the weakest part of the camera beyond casual shots close up. Close proximity shots were great but anything else, not so much.

The Pixel 7 Pro has a better camera system and post processing software than the iPhone 13 PM by a wide margin. The Pixel 7a is good but it lacks telephoto. So I would go Pro BUT personally I would wait for the Pixel 8 Pro. It should have even better image sensor. Not sure if zoom will change but 5x is good enough.

Of course if you want the best camera hardware on a officially supported US phone the s23 ultra is kind of it. The software definitely lags behind Google in post processing but is much better than in the past and there is a manual mode with a ton of settings to tweak your shots just right. The problem Samsung still suffers from over several years, devices, and iterations of Abdroid is fast action shots. Shots of multiple kids moving fast, etc. A lot of times your photos still turn out blurry. It is a lot better as I said but it is still an issue holding Samsung hardware back. In the areas of camera besides some Chinese OEMs with huge image sensors or optical sensors, Samsung s ultra series generally has the best cameras of any Android OEM.

In my personal opinion Google has a lot of room for improvement in the hardware. They have done so much with average to lower quality hardware it would be nice to start seeing high end sensors and telephoto zoom and Google AI image processing. But hopefully the Pixel line will continue to evolve in this way. Personally I am very excited about the Pixel 8 release coming up.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I had a iPhone 13 Pro Max for over a year and it was a great phone but the camera was nothing special in my personal opinion. For what Apple is giving you, i.e. the quality of the sensors, etc. it is a great camera system but the hardware is rather old comparatively speaking to Android flagship. I actually thought the camera was the weakest part of the camera beyond casual shots close up. Close proximity shots were great but anything else, not so much.

The Pixel 7 Pro has a better camera system and post processing software than the iPhone 13 PM by a wide margin. The Pixel 7a is good but it lacks telephoto. So I would go Pro BUT personally I would wait for the Pixel 8 Pro. It should have even better image sensor. Not sure if zoom will change but 5x is good enough.

Of course if you want the best camera hardware on a officially supported US phone the s23 ultra is kind of it. The software definitely lags behind Google in post processing but is much better than in the past and there is a manual mode with a ton of settings to tweak your shots just right. The problem Samsung still suffers from over several years, devices, and iterations of Abdroid is fast action shots. Shots of multiple kids moving fast, etc. A lot of times your photos still turn out blurry. It is a lot better as I said but it is still an issue holding Samsung hardware back. In the areas of camera besides some Chinese OEMs with huge image sensors or optical sensors, Samsung s ultra series generally has the best cameras of any Android OEM.

In my personal opinion Google has a lot of room for improvement in the hardware. They have done so much with average to lower quality hardware it would be nice to start seeing high end sensors and telephoto zoom and Google AI image processing. But hopefully the Pixel line will continue to evolve in this way. Personally I am very excited about the Pixel 8 release coming up.
Well yeah pixel 8 pro will have better camera hardware than any phone that isn’t a Chinese phone pretty much for the main and ultra wide at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.