Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I am looking at upgrading from my 6s to either a refurb 13 Pro, or the new base model 15.

I want nice looking zoom. I know the Pro has a dedicated 3x lens on it, but is the sensor going to be inferior to other 2x thing they have going on on the new 15? Any other downfalls of the 13 Pro I should be aware of?

I'm also looking for longevity in whichever device I get. I kept my 6s from release date until now, and I plan to keep my next phone nearly as long.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Possibility is high that the 15 will be supported longer than 13p. So if you plan to keep your device for a long time I would prefer the 15 over the 13p.

Reactions: Yuuuki and skiltrip

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Both great replies, thanks. I have been looking into the 13 Pro, and the 3x lens, many people seem to not be too keen on it. And important point about longevity. I definitely tend to keep my phones for a long time.

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
I have a 13 Pro and even though I thought at first I would get used to the weight, it is noticeably heavy compared to my 12. If you’re coming from a 6S and never have had a 120Hz screen, I would suggest going straight to the 15. It’ll be a massive upgrade and you’ll have the longest years of software updates, comparatively.

Reactions: Yuuuki and skiltrip

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
i had purchased a 13 pro, also refurbed in January this year. It was an excellent phone. Excellent camera and amazing screen. As already noted, the only real issue was the weight to me. unfortunately, my phone got stolen - but if I still had it, don't think I'd be upgrading to the 15. I would to the 15 pro but not the 15 because it has promotion etc. but you have to consider - do you want comfort or a better screen? both are legitimate things to want over the other. if you want comfort, get the 15, if you want a super good screen get the 13 pro.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Definitely the 15. The 13 Pro doesn't have enough features to make up for it.

In the past, you could debate whether previous gen Pro models had better cameras, but this year, the 15 should be significantly better than 13 Pro. The 15 has a brighter display than 13 Pro, along with features like satellite SOS, better modem, DI, and repairability.

Reactions: Wig321 and Yuuuki

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Congrats! I'm considering doing the same and retiring my 13 Pro with 15.
The list of iPhone 15 advantages seemed obvious to me. Picking it up Friday. Strange how shipping dates are slipping but pickup dates are still mostly falling on release day (unless pickup appointments are full). I ordered the green one which seems pretty popular based on slipping ship dates.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I would go with the refub 13 Pro. It have a dedicated 3x camera instead of the digital 2x on the 15.

If you use the zoom, sure, but I've only used my 3x lens maybe 3-4 times in the two years I've had my phone. The quality from it isn't great.

I do a lot of nature and wildlife photography, and it just doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
Reactions: skiltrip

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
If you use the zoom, sure, but I've only used my 3x lens maybe 3-4 times in the two years I've had my phone. The quality from it isn't great.

I do a lot of nature and wildlife photography, and it just doesn't hold up.
That was my fear with the 3x lens. I think the 2x on the 15 will suffice, and I'm expected the quality to be clearer overall. In all honestly, I'm expecting to be wowed compared to my 6s camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.