Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gantris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
I’m setting up my iPhone 13 pro from backup and experiencing an extremely slow restore. The initial estimated time was 15min. It’s slowly increased to 2h without making any progress. I’ve restarted the process three times now with the same results. Looking at my router I’m seeing around 500kbs download from the phone - I have gigabit internet! Is anyone else experiencing these extremely slow speeds?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Gigabit internet doesn’t mean anything phone to phone. Stop restarting and let it go. If it’s direct, it takes a 45-2.5 hours depending on your data. Leave it be.

Gantris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
Gigabit internet doesn’t mean anything phone to phone. Stop restarting and let it go. If it’s direct, it takes a 45-2.5 hours depending on your data. Leave it be.
I’m not restoring phone to phone, I’m restoring from an iCloud backup.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m not restoring phone to phone, I’m restoring from an iCloud backup
You and 100 million other people. iCloud servers are slammed.

A restore from a Mac only takes a few minutes (less than an hour)- that’s how I do it every time. iCloud is way too slow.

Gantris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008

A restore from a Mac only takes a few minutes (less than an hour)- that’s how I do it every time. iCloud is way too slow.
Yeah, I was hoping their infrastructure could keep up a bit better. I don’t mind watching my apps and photos slowly load but right now I have an unusable phone. May take your route next time around.

dali314

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021

Ive been fighting with setting up my 13 pro max restoring from my mac all day. Hours go by and I get unable to restore phone disconnected when its not and i have to start over.

jldesutter83

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2013
Illinois
Mine restored ok but all my apps, except apple apps are in the “Other” folder in the App Library and it’s extremely frustrating!!

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Says server not available. Keeps kicking me out. Now i have to reset a new phone to restore. Never had this problem before.

pettit03

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
12 hours into my restore. Started with 19gbs to finish, now at 10 gbs. Slowest restore ever!

MysticintheMist

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2021
FOUR DAYS AND COUNTING...

I ordinarily restore new phonse from Mac drive backup. This time, for some perverse reason, I started restoring to my new 13Pro from iCloud just to see how long it could take. 119.5gb on my old 11Pro backup, so I *knew* it would take forever. And.....

Started *Tuesday 9/28* late night and.... just entered day *four* Sat. 10/2. Still not done!

The vexing part is my 11Pro has 119.5gb. The New 13Pro has exceeded that and now is metered at 120.5gb. Should be done. (Unless the 13pro is attempting to grab every bit of data from my Cloud account and cram it in there. I have the 512gb model so there's almost enough room.)

Tempted as I am to pull the plug and just start again, restoring from a hard drive back-up, I want to see how grim this will get.

also: As reported by other users, a hand full of app's have not downloaded and apparently won't until the restore is done. (Facebook app, Evernote. etc.)

Last edited:

Gantris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
FOUR DAYS AND COUNTING...

I ordinarily restore new phonse from Mac drive backup. This time, for some perverse reason, I started restoring to my new 13Pro from iCloud just to see how long it could take. 119.5gb on my old 11Pro backup, so I *knew* it would take forever. And.....

Started *Tuesday 9/28* late night and.... just entered day *four* Sat. 10/2. Still not done!

The vexing part is my 11Pro has 119.5gb. The New 13Pro has exceeded that and now is metered at 120.5gb. Should be done. (Unless the 13pro is attempting to grab every bit of data from my Cloud account and cram it in there. I have the 512gb model so there's almost enough room.)

Tempted as I am to pull the plug and just start again, restoring from a hard drive back-up, I want to see how grim this will get.

also: As reported by other users, a hand full of app's have not downloaded and apparently won't until the restore is done. (Facebook app, Evernote. etc.)
The suspense is killing me, what happened?!?

MysticintheMist

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2021
The suspense is killing me, what happened?!?
I finally threw in the towel and restored from a hard disc backup that was a week old. The Verizon tech suggested that an old legacy email account (one I no longer use) from my first iPhone back in '07 might have been the culprit in the Cloud issue. I don't see why that would be. This in my sixth iPhone and I've never had that issue before. Anyway - all good now. (And the 13pro is pretty damn great.)

Gantris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2008
I finally threw in the towel and restored from a hard disc backup that was a week old. The Verizon tech suggested that an old legacy email account (one I no longer use) from my first iPhone back in '07 might have been the culprit in the Cloud issue. I don't see why that would be. This in my sixth iPhone and I've never had that issue before. Anyway - all good now. (And the 13pro is pretty damn great.)
Glad to hear! You were certainly not alone when it came to restore issues. Everyone I know who got an iPhone on launch and had a relatively large backup experienced similar issues.

MysticintheMist

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2021
Glad to hear! You were certainly not alone when it came to restore issues. Everyone I know who got an iPhone on launch and had a relatively large backup experienced similar issues.
heard I wasn't alone on that. But even dense cloud back-ups shouldn't take days! Still, the new phone deserve the great reviews it's getting. The camera is sensational.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2 years later and the same **** with a new iPhone 13…
This has given me a new appreciation for keeping iPhone backups on my Mac Instead of in the cloud., probably a week into iCloud restore. Starting with about 220 GB now it says 100GB abd I can’t download a phone update because of it. Everything looks in place. I don’t keep important stuff on my phone, that I’m actively using that I can’t dowh load if it turns out not to be there. Is there any way to cancel it? Could there be a surprise I’ve not anticipated that might adversely effect phone operation? Thanks…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.