Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barry.wiestling

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
So my iPhone 13 Pro had a good run but now the screen is cracked from being in my bag at the airport and dropping it.

I am waiting to purchase the iPhone 15 pro so I'm trying to decide what my best options are for the next couple of months.

1 - Leave the screen cracked and sell/trade in the phone with a cracked screen
2 - Replace the screen myself (I heard you get a notification if you don't use a genuine part). What happens if I go this route and try to trade it in through AT&T or apple?
3- Pay the $279 through Apple to replace the screen

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So my iPhone 13 Pro had a good run but now the screen is cracked from being in my bag at the airport and dropping it.

I am waiting to purchase the iPhone 15 pro so I'm trying to decide what my best options are for the next couple of months.

1 - Leave the screen cracked and sell/trade in the phone with a cracked screen
2 - Replace the screen myself (I heard you get a notification if you don't use a genuine part). What happens if I go this route and try to trade it in through AT&T or apple?
3- Pay the $279 through Apple to replace the screen

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
If the idea is to have a non-cracked screen for the purpose of trade-in and you are essentially intending to abandon this phone (by trading it in) for the iPhone 15, then why not…

4 - Pay a third party for a screen repair.

It would probably cost you less and if genuine Apple parts are not used, it's not really going to matter because you're trading the phone in.

So the response to 2 then would be that it doesn't matter. All carriers/Apple care about is if things are working and there isn't any visible damage. Tradeins get new parts when they're turned around for resale anyway.

But if you're good enough/okay with replacing the screen yourself, then that's the option I'd take.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
If the idea is to have a non-cracked screen for the purpose of trade-in and you are essentially intending to abandon this phone (by trading it in) for the iPhone 15, then why not…

4 - Pay a third party for a screen repair.

It would probably cost you less and if genuine Apple parts are not used, it's not really going to matter because you're trading the phone in.

So the response to 2 then would be that it doesn't matter. All carriers/Apple care about is if things are working and there isn't any visible damage. Tradeins get new parts when they're turned around for resale anyway.

But if you're good enough/okay with replacing the screen yourself, then that's the option I'd take.
Will the trade in value be decreased if there is a 3rd party replaced screen on it?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Will the trade in value be decreased if there is a 3rd party replaced screen on it?
If OP trades in to a carrier, it doesn't matter. They only care about visible damage and/or non-functional. It's possible that Apple might care, but I don't see why. Apple is going to do what the carriers do and assess devices traded in, test them and replace parts. In Apple's case they become remanufactured devices which have new casings, new screens and new batteries.

A third party screen would thus be replaced with a new OEM screen.

So, okay, I'm speculating with Apple. I don't know for sure. I've never traded a device in to them. But I really don't see why it would matter. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
and if you replace the screen, what's it worth in trade-in?
Depends on how much you pay for the screen replacement. If it's done at apple, and pay $279. even though after that you'd get the full trade in value but the amount you already spent so you won't get 1/2 of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.