Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leo Venom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
I have iPhone 13 pro with iOS 15.2 and when i watch video in YouTube 60fps i notice drop frame randomly. Anyone have notice this ? I notice especially in this video with vp9 codec

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I just watched the video all the way through on my 13 Pro Max, using iOS 15.2, not a single frame drop. It could be related to your network.

Personally I have not ever experienced a frame drop in any of the youtube videos I have watched.

AppleShareholder

Suspended
Jul 13, 2020
I just watched the video all the way through on my 13 Pro Max, using iOS 15.2, not a single frame drop. It could be related to your network.

Personally I have not ever experienced a frame drop in any of the youtube videos I have watched.
Does this get tiring for you? I see you in every thread about performance problems on latest iPhone models denying any lag while everyone else is saying that it lags.
Are you an Apple employee or a shareholder? Because I don't know why anyone would defend a company so vehemently.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Does this get tiring for you? I see you in every thread about performance problems on latest iPhone models denying any lag while everyone else is saying that it lags.
Are you an Apple employee or a shareholder? Because I don't know why anyone would defend a company so vehemently.
The OP asked if anyone else has seen the issue. I decided to try and see if I could reproduce the issue which I could not. Not sure why this even concerns you. You are posting nonsense.

Reactions: Samdh90

Leo Venom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
I only notice this on 60fps videos but you have to be careful enough to view it

Leo Venom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
Interesting. The 2 squares move smoothly forward and backwards. The text moves smoothly forward. The text moving backward, however, has some jitter to it as it moves.
I don't understand really. Sometimes I don't lose a frame for the whole video, sometimes I notice some lag even in the squares when they come back.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I don't understand really. Sometimes I don't lose a frame for the whole video, sometimes I notice some lag even in the squares when they come back.
It could be network related. Maybe try downloading and run it local.

EDIT: I just watched the video again and I could see a momentary stutter that does not happen at the same spot every time. Initially, I was focusing more on the text then the squares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo Venom

Leo Venom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
It could be network related. Maybe try downloading and run it local.

EDIT: I just watched the video again and I could see a momentary stutter that does not happen at the same spot every time. Initially, I was focusing more on the text then the squares.
True, not at the same spot,totally randoms

Leo Venom

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
I just watched the video on my 13" MacBook Pro running Catalina and the playback acts exactly like it does from my 13 Pro Max.
Vp9 codec could that be the problem? not if doing the download and playing it in mp4 format that uses a different codec can change ..

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
what a boring problem, I notice it on all 60fps videos on YouTube :( I think not many people can notice it that's why there are few reports
You are right, I did not notice it until you pointed it out. Maybe report it to Apple Feedback.

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Open in YouTube app
I didn’t watch the $6million watch video, but I did watch and test it on the 60fps motion video, on YT app. I didn’t see a frame drop during my first and only playback, perhaps it’s random like you said, but to my eyes the whole 60s looked smooth as 60fps supposed to be from start to end, both the squares and the text, forwards backwards. iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15.2

derpaufler

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2021
I have the same problem. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and it drives me crazy to see those randomly stutters/jitter in the YouTube app. It's completely random and is not repeatable if I rewind to the same point in the video. Not fixed.

Sahej kalra

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
Guys i have the same issue on my device i have 2 iphone 13’s and i am facing the same issue in both is there any fix for it ?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I was watching it from Safari. I don't use the YouTube app.
Watching in safari at 720p? ?

Anyway to get it playing at 2160p?

Can’t stand the ads in the YouTube app, not paying $19,99 a month for premium.

Rather use brave browser, since it blocks YouTube ads, it only plays YouTube videos at 720p. ☹️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.