Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.Simple

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2020
Do you have a source that says that the LTPO displays are produced form BOE? In the rumors i have only read about Samsung Display. When its trully made from BOE then is the hope that i could also have a high pwm frequenz like the displays on the Honor Magic 3 Series that have a OLED Display from BOE.

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I had to return the iPhone 12 Pro I bought due to bad eye strain. Loving my refurbed iPhone 11 with an LCD screen. Out of curiosity, what's the deal with the announced iPhone 13 screens in terms of PWM and eye strain. They are OLED so I assume same problems as 12.

Reactions: DJTaurus

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I had to return the iPhone 12 Pro I bought due to bad eye strain. Loving my refurbed iPhone 11 with an LCD screen. Out of curiosity, what's the deal with the announced iPhone 13 screens in terms of PWM and eye strain. They are OLED so I assume same problems as 12.
How would anyone know? No one has access to a device yet.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I will be reporting back on the iphone 13 Mini and Pro. I will know within an hour of usage if there's low PWM (so likely no display changes) as I will feel eye strain which will likely turn into a migraine.

The feeling starts with my eyes darting around the screen as clearly I'm picking up the display modulating/flashing. This will result in the sides of my eyes feeling strained/tired and gritty. This triggers my brain to send out the alert something is wrong by giving me a headache which can last for days. Last years Pro Max and standard 12 ruined me for two days!

From the X through to the 12 Series it's been an issue for me sadly. Even the standard 11 caused some strain (possibly caused by dithering). I don't have alot of hope left but I have to try once more as I desperately need a new phone to retire my 7 Plus and I would like to stick with iOS ideally. I have no interest in the SE 2020 (low resolution, small battery), so if the 13 series is a bust I will start exploring the Android options. And I said this for a few years now........?

Last edited:

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
We are all waiting to pull the trigger. Still with my 11. I hope PWM to not only be solved on pro models with the 120hz screen….. those pro models are literally bricks with their weight. Macrumors all these years should have done at least an article for all of us…..

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
We might be in luck

zollotech video you can see the iphone 12 has pwm flicker but you cannot see any on the iphone 13 pro

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
OP opened the thread so he can be the first one to open this thread lol. Whatever floats your boat, OP, whatever floats your boat...
There should be a separate board for these PWM threads. I set three threads to "ignore" this morning, and now there are three new threads. Skimming the first three, it seemed like it was a small group of posters doing all the posting to keep them near the top. Time to hit the old ignore button some more...

• Haha
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
There should be a separate board for these PWM threads. I set three threads to "ignore" this morning, and now there are three new threads. Skimming the first three, it seemed like it was a small group of posters doing all the posting to keep them near the top. Time to hit the old ignore button some more...
I am one who suffers from PWM and while I am vested in the topic, you are absolutely right. There are like 8 threads that could be merged into one. It's out of hand.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I am one who suffers from PWM and while I am vested in the topic, you are absolutely right. There are like 8 threads that could be merged into one. It's out of hand.
The good part about that is that it brings more attention to the issue, which ? may no longer be an issue this generation.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Way too many threads happening:

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Way too many threads happening:

good

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Too bad the regular 12 is compared to the 13 pro....
Thank you for the video. I see a huge difference in flicker compared to the iPhone 12. Very promising :)
I'd like to see a comparison to the regular 13- since we know the 13 Pro likely does have a better screen with a higher flicker frequency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.