Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatlizarddude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hey, is anyone else here having an issue with Siri randomly getting activated when they press the power button at random times? There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it, it's just a minor annoyance. Only thing I can think of that could be causing it is the case, but I don't really wanna go caseless just to test this.
This is happening on the 13 Pro Max.

EDIT: And no, I haven't been pressing it for too long, this last few times it happened it was a quick press.

EDIT 2: Does not seem like it's the case causing it either.

Last edited:
Reactions: spartan1967

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
I am having this exact same problem with my 13 mini I got a few days ago. I am on iOS 15.1.

Has this been fixed for you updating to 15.1?

• I am thinking this is a software problem because Siri does not activate when I press the power button to put back in sleep mode
  • It happens the most for me when I have not pressed the power button to wake the phone for a while
  • I did not use the device until I had a leather case on it (not Apple's = too heavy with the magnets :)).
  • The entire device is wrapped in leather, so I took a blunt object to knead out the part that covers the power button from inside the case, thinking it was too tight and not allowing the power button to come back up in time. Since then it seems less frequent, but is still happening
  • Since I'm not planning on going anywhere for the next couple days, I am going to keep the case off and see if this issue still happens
  • Every thread I searched for on Google had at least a few responses with people having this issue, but on prior generation phones and nothing with the 13 models
  • I will report back, whether keeping the case off works or not

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Update: Siri has activated twice already with the case off when waking iPhone with power button. ☹️

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
You can watch this video
Appreciate this, but this takes away the feature I want to use with turning on Siri with the long press. The issue we are having is just pressing the side button for a fraction of a second to wake the phone is activating Siri.

mikehowett

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2006
UK
I’m also having this issue with my 13 Pro. I thought it might be the case, but I guess not if it’s happening without it. Hopefully it’s just a software issue.

Sunlily36

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2021
I’m having this problem too, new iPhone 13 pro max - Siri activates when I touch the sleep/wake button. Extremely frustrating!!!
Any ideas to fix would be great. No I’m not pressing and holding either.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Everyone having this issue, I may have found the cause, but way too soon to tell since Siri does not turn on all the time. This also may save you some battery.

If you are using Still wallpaper, turn off perspective zoom. Since doing this, Siri has not turned on when waking from side button. I’ll let everyone know if it still happens.

apple14

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2021
Just wanted to say I also have this problem on my 13 mini and disabling perspective zoom did not fix it. For me it only happens when the phone is off for a while.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Maybe try turning off and on Settings->Siri & Search->Press Side Button for Siri.

The other thing to try is Reset All Settings.

The more drastic thing to try is doing a backup to a Mac computer, do Recovery Mode restore, setup as a new device and see if a quick press of the side button triggers Siri.

If it does trigger Siri with setting up as a new device, I would get in contact with Apple Support.

If it does not trigger Siri, Erase All Contents, restore from the backup from your Mac computer. If after restoring your backup and Siri is triggered by a quick press of the side button, then there is something in your backup that is causing the issue.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Something else I thought of, try turning off Settings->Siri & Search->Press Side Button for Siri, restart your phone and turn that option back on.

Reactions: apple14

fryrice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Boston, MA
Ok sounds like I’m not the only one with this issue. Just got my 13 pro and Siri keeps coming up when I press the power button (without holding).

Going to try the turn off and on then report back.

apple14

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2021
reading this thread, I enabled tap to wake. been a day, seems to have fixed it. still means there’s an software/hardware issue if tap to wake is required though…

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
reading this thread, I enabled tap to wake. been a day, seems to have fixed it. still means there’s an software/hardware issue if tap to wake is required though…
I asked the original poster in your thread if they asked Apple if there was going to be a fix.

Edit: BTW, turning on "Tap to Wake" fixes my slow screen wake and stops Siri from randomly activating when I hit the side button to wake the phone.

Last edited:

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Installing 15.4, beta 3 has fixed this issue for me without tap to wake enabled. Much obliged Apple.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
I'm still experiencing this issue on 15.3.1.
Not sure if you are a beta tester, but I never go into a new 15.X until the 3rd beta, like the one I mentioned to see if a problem I reported is fixed. Since this Siri issue is fixed for me now, I won't be downloading any more betas after the official release of 15.4 that goes out to the general public in the next couple of weeks.

6 months, after iOS 15 was started, it took to finally get a stable & reliable version for me, and there is still a lot of people who will continue to have problems. Tell us again Apple why you decided to end security updates for iOS 14. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.