Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveWireless

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Nice to see even the iPad Mini gets USB-C now, but what is wrong at Apple that they did not move to USB-C on the iPhone 13? What are they waiting for? Are they scared of all the customers complaints about needing new cables and new USB adapters? Do they think with MagSafe that they can just stick with the lighting-connector for much longer? Is the next connector on the iPhone 'no-connector' or USB-C?

Apple has supported lightning long enough, now it is time for USB-C everywhere.

Other than the lack of USB-C, I love the iPhone-13.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
They love the $ that comes from overpricing the Lightning cables and from third parties paying licensing fees.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
They are smart I don't want a USB-C. Have to buy all new cables for very little benefit to me. I'd still have to have USB-C to USB-A for carplay etc.

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Apple likes selling customers 3-4 proprietary lighting cables a year when they inevitably wear out, become lost. Sad!

Reactions: phillytim

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Never say never, but it has been clear for some time that the likelihood of getting USB-C on iPhones and small accessories is extremely low.

They’ll probably keep lightning going until they are ready for full wireless charging.

Don‘t get me wrong, it annoys me, but clearly this is the route Apple is taking an anyone holding their breath for USB-C iPhones should should probably move on.

Reactions: LiveWireless

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Seems odd that they offer ProRes video capability but not upgrade the ability to offload the material in an efficient way. It sounds like ProRes video is more of a gimmick than useful.. At a minimum they should have USB3 on the Pro's

Reactions: randfee2

cinek2

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
As much as I'd like to see usb-c, if the rumors are true about a portless iPhone potentially next year then it makes sense for them to stick to lightning for another year otherwise people would then complain they had to buy cables, adapters and what not only for the port to be killed off

Reactions: LiveWireless
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.