Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I might go to visit the US and wondering if I better buy a cheapo feature phone and then an AT&T prepaid for the couple weeks am gonna be there (need to have WhatsApp so I can eventually get calls over data) or if better, if possible, to get an eSim for my phone as I seem to understand that dual sim is only a physical one and an e one, is that correct?

What do you suggest?

Grazie

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If in Settings > About, you see an EID number, then you can add an eSIM.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I've an 13 Mini but the feature is the same. During an OS trip I had my home esim and purchased a prepaid esim whilst overseas. Also had a physical home sim in the tray with a diff number entirely, just in case.

So you can have 2 x esims and a physical installed but only 2 can be active simultaneously. So either 2 x esims or the physical and 1 x esim.

I didn't travel to the US but got a esim prepaid plan with Telekom for the duration. It was all quite easy to set up (did it in store) so am just assuming that this will also work well in the US.

Reactions: Giuanniello

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you don't need talk and text and just need pure data, consider global data-only eSIM providers like Airalo, aloSIM, Eskimo, Nomad, etc.

You can setup the eSIM before you even leave your home country.

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I remember years ago when I last was in CO I got an AT&T prepaid SIM and was set with that in a second mobile phone, now I don't have another mobile so either I swap the SIM and only use an US one leaving my WhatsApp profile (if that's still possible, a while ago you can swap the operator and keep WA with the main one no matter which SIM you use) or an eSIM, either I look forward to something in an airport during connecting flights or wait to reach final destination and go to the AT&T store unless you can suggest differently.

Grazie ancora

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.