Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have an iPhone 13 Mini, which of course has the same camera module as the regular 13.

I have hopes of using my phone to take pictures on hikes occasionally when i don't want to haul my DSLR with me... and I do that sometimes with my mini and the results are so-so.

I was curious how much of an upgrade the main camera really is on the 14/14 Plus- for those that have had both, did you notice a real-world difference between the two, with the upgraded sensor and pixel-binning that the 14 series does?

I ask because my wife bought a 14 Plus just two months ago and is having some regret in not getting a 15 Pro instead... so we have the opportunity to trade in my 13 Mini through our carrier for $600 off the Pro, which I could give to her and then take her 14 Plus.

I haven't really been able to do any comparison testing myself yet, but I was just curious what those with some true experience taking pictures with both really feel. I have read some comparisons that seem to be all over the place, some talking about improvements, some saying there is no difference.

Thanks for any input any of you might have! :)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The regular 14 series carries the same sensor as the 13, so the difference is negligible. The difference is from the Photonic Engine (limited to 14 series and newer) which slightly increases detail and reduce low light noise. In short, don't consider any camera updates on the 14 regular models. The appreciable benefits are the 6GB RAM and satellite SOS features.

The upgraded sensor and pixel binning only applies to 14 Pro/Max.

Reactions: jm31828

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Regular 13 and 13 Mini have the 12 Pro’s cameras which was garbage imo. 14 Plus have iPhones 13 Pro’s cameras which is way better! Now regular 15’s have a variant of iPhone 14 Pro’s camera.

Reactions: jm31828
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.