Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Has anyone heard of a iPhone 14 “crash” set off by mountain bike and it being handlebar mount yet? Not necessarily in a crash, but just rowdy rooty trail riding.

I just got my iPhone 14 pro today, upgraded from iPhone 11 Pro.
It’s handle bar mounted, as I use it as bike computer with Wahoo Bluetooth sensors.
Me last weekend.
89e4d7c295a9b84bec2a31cc6ff8892c.jpg

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Crash your bike it might. But I’ve heard that even a bike crash may not set it off.
Try it out and see. Report back here.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Damage to camera due to vibrations are possible, but not setting off any crash notifications. On a bike, you wouldn't set off the barometric sensor, Bluetooth, or microphone.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I’ve used these Thule smartphone holders on my 4 bikes, each with 2 bands as shown. My 2 sons and I ride. Literally 7-8 thousand miles in past 3 years, we all have iPhones, yes a few crashes.
The phone stayed with the bike, never an issue.
So I take it the iPhone 14 up till now has not robo called.
e97d8c0f779ccea6c8b14e29a8830e85.jpg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Not sure about the crash or fall detection, but Apple say’s attachment of the iPhone to a motorcycle will cause damage to the camera module due to vibration, not sure if that applies to a mountain bike, but it probably isn’t good for it. I wouldn’t use my iPhone on a bike myself because the camera is the most important part of the iPhone to me. But if you haven’t set either off from riding, I’d say you’re ok.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Wow, skiers experience lotta g forces?

Colorado ski town emergency dispatch centers fielding dozens of automated 911 calls from skier iPhones

DENVER, Colo. (Colorado Sun) - During a mid-December weekend the dispatchers at the Summit County 911 Center fielded 71 automated crash notifications from skiers’ iPhones and Apple watches at the county’s four ski areas. None of them involved an emergency.

But each of them took time to sort out. If the skier did not answer a return call, a special operations deputy contacted ski patrollers to check the location of the automated call.

“We are not in the practice of disregarding calls,” said Trina Dummer, the interim director of the Summit County 911 Center. “These calls involve a tremendous amount of resources, from dispatchers to deputies to ski patrollers. And I don’t think we’ve ever had an actual emergency event.”

The “crash detection” and “fall detection” features on the Apple iPhone 14 and watches automatically call 911 when the devices detect a sudden stop that, in concept, means the user has been involved in a car crash. The technology has been heralded in several instances for saving lives, but it’s not meshing well with skiers who can stop suddenly and often fall without the need for emergency help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.