Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I read that the 15 could have a newer better zoom camera, and that is a feature I like, the optical zoom. The current 14 looks like it is 3x optical zoom, and I read the 15 will have a periscope camera.

I have an xs right now with a 2x optical zoom, would I be better to hang with it and wait for the 15? or go ahead and get the 14? is the 14 camera significantly better than the xs?

I also do occasionally take selfies as well.

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
There's always going to be something better coming soon. Personally, from an XS, I would upgrade now. It has enough new features. If you wait and see, you might not get what is rumored for the 15 (because at this point the rumors may very well not happen).

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Just upgrade. There are always rumors and expectations always change by the time the next keynote comes around. I’m using the 14 Pro Max and this is probably the most significant upgrade I’ve had since the iPhone X. It’s the way everything works with dynamic island combined with the usual iterative upgrades where the phone doesn’t feel iterative like it has for the past few years.

I upgrade my iPhone phone every year for the last 6 years; this is the first year where I’m really satisfied with an upgrade.

Reactions: MrAperture

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
If you have a 13PM or 13 I don’t believe you should. If you have anything else, yes. The promotion display is the huge upgrade not being talked about between any other phone to the 13.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I made the mistake of giving my iphone 12 Pro Max to my daughter and “upgrading” to a standard iPhone 13 as I wanted something smaller/lighter. Well I really don’t like the smaller screen. I was very close to trading in my 13 for a 14PM but I keep thinking that I should just hold on to it for another year and just make the jump to the 15PM. I really wish I had just gone for the 13 Pro Max when I have her my 12 and I wouldn’t be in such a conundrum.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I just upgraded from having an 11 pro that I've had since 2019, and it was a significant enough upgrade that I was pleased to make this time around. You're in for a huge awakening.

And I'm not going to miss the notch

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Upgrade. You never know what will happen next year. If you can afford it and want a new phone, do it. No one knows what the iPhone 15 will be like.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
You should totally wait for the iPhone 17, the camera is going to be sooooo much better, and you'll be able to zoom in to space with the new iTelescope feature.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
I read that the 15 could have a newer better zoom camera, and that is a feature I like, the optical zoom. The current 14 looks like it is 3x optical zoom, and I read the 15 will have a periscope camera.

I have an xs right now with a 2x optical zoom, would I be better to hang with it and wait for the 15? or go ahead and get the 14? is the 14 camera significantly better than the xs?

I have an 11 Pro and I'm waiting for this: https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/7/2...-usb-c-wired-charging-iphone-lightning-ewaste

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010

From a XS, I would say you'll get quite a solid upgrade.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
Just to realize Apple decides to go completely portless. 😅
That would be an absolute 'Apple move' but I think the law calls for wired charging. So, device manufacturers can have wireless charging but it must accommodate USB-C.

Not sure what they'll do in the future when another interface is needed but I'll take USB-C in lieu of Lightning any day.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
If you have to ask yourself this question every year, you shouldn't upgrade until your phone is obsolete or broken. Next year's phone is always gonna be "better" than this year's "new" phone.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
This is a troll thread right?

No it is not, I am asking a sincere question, and am trying to figure some tings out, these phones are expensive, and I am trying to make an informed decision, not stir trouble. I have been on this forum for some time, so ease off with any suspicions and accusations. Maybe you are the troll trying to troll me? how about that?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
You should totally wait for the iPhone 17, the camera is going to be sooooo much better, and you'll be able to zoom in to space with the new iTelescope feature.
Ha, Ha, thanks for the advice, but I might just have to wait for the super galactic iPhone, which will be able to see better than the Webb telescope.🤣

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Periscope would definitely get me to upgrade. That would be a huge upgrade to the camera.

Sadly it sounds like it will only be coming to the Max at first. And i don't want a huge phone like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.