Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
There's been some debate regarding the sales performance of 14 Plus vs. 13 mini and we finally have some solid data from DSCC. As a reminder, Ross Young is co-founder and CEO of DSCC. In their report today, DSCC compares iPhone panel shipment data from June 2022 through April 2023 (two month forecast).

In comparing the iPhone 14 Series vs. the iPhone 13 Series through April, we see the following changes in panel shipments by model:
  • iPhone 14: Down 36%;
  • iPhone 14 Plus vs. iPhone 13 Mini: Up 59%;
  • iPhone 14 Pro: Up 22%;
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max: Up 23%.
The revenue from this product mix is definitely better than the iPhone 13 cycle. Apple is selling more expensive models at the cost of fewer regular iPhone 14s. But I think Apple can live with that.

Pic2_2023-03-20-150518_syuj.png

Attachments

• DSCC Reports April Panel Shipments for the iPhone 14 Series Fall 23_ M_M - Display Supply Chai...jpg
    DSCC Reports April Panel Shipments for the iPhone 14 Series Fall 23_ M_M - Display Supply Chai...jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCC Reports April Panel Shipments for the iPhone 14 Series Fall 23_ M_M - Display Supply Chai...jpg
    DSCC Reports April Panel Shipments for the iPhone 14 Series Fall 23_ M_M - Display Supply Chai...jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 73

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
This doesn't mean actual sales data though. If the 14 Plus was selling well then why did they not order any panels in December and January?
Because they were production constrained in those months due to lockdowns. The Plus likely got the short end of the stick.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
Because they were production constrained in those months due to lockdowns. The Plus likely got the short end of the stick.

"According to information provided by display supply chain analyst Ross Young to his Twitter super followers, the iPhone 14 Plus display shipments sunk to next to nothing, in the period where Apple fine-tunes production orders to accommodate consumer behavior. A chart shows a healthy mix of display orders for all iPhone 14 models until November 2022, when iPhone 14 Plus dropped significantly and then disappeared from the chart through January."

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Month to month, panel shipments may not reflect actual sales as there may be lag or stockpiling. But in aggregate, over June 2022 through April 2023 the numbers should reflect actual.

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
This doesn't mean actual sales data though. If the 14 Plus was selling well then why did they not order any panels in December and January?

Sales in December and January were poor. Apple reduced the price of 14 Plus in China by about 10% in February 2023. This probably contributed to the increase in sales afterward.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The drop in sales for regular iPhone models will definitely hurt Apple as those devices have the biggest potential market due to price. Nobody should be fooled by the slight increase in demand for Pro models as Apple ultimately want as many people using iPhones as possible and Pro devices are just too expensive right now. These price increases may be designed to force people to keep devices longer though which meets certain environmental quotas. The 14 Plus certainly hasn’t done so well in Europe but it’s the price of a US 14 Pro here at the moment, however there are reports the price is being slashed due to lack of demand.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
The drop in sales for regular iPhone models will definitely hurt Apple as those devices have the biggest potential market due to price. Nobody should be fooled by the slight increase in demand for Pro models as Apple ultimately want as many people using iPhones as possible and Pro devices are just too expensive right now. These price increases may be designed to force people to keep devices longer though which meets certain environmental quotas. The 14 Plus certainly hasn’t done so well in Europe but it’s the price of a US 14 Pro here at the moment, however there are reports the price is being slashed due to lack of demand.

14 Plus is selling well enough in Europe, and Apple certainly do not ever do price drops for current models. Also, the US Pro price is less sales tax, there’s not a big a difference price wise. The Pro models are the ones people want, some are still sold out at some retailers. What you deem expensive, isn’t the case for everyone. Especially with contract payments or 0% finance etc.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
14 Plus is selling well enough in Europe, and Apple certainly do not ever do price drops for current models. Also, the US Pro price is less sales tax, there’s not a big a difference price wise. The Pro models are the ones people want, some are still sold out at some retailers. What you deem expensive, isn’t the case for everyone. Especially with contract payments or 0% finance etc.

There were articles suggesting that the 14 Plus was going to see a £50 drop in price due to lacklustre sales. This is yet to happen though. It’s certainly a hard sell at £949 starting. The Pro models are certainly not the ones ‘everybody’ wants and with a price starting at £1099, they are not aimed at ‘everybody’ anyway. Of course what I deem as expensive isn’t the same for everybody, I’m not naive. I’m lucky enough to be able to afford any phone I want but am well aware in the middle of a cost of living crisis, this sort of purchase is not high on a lot of peoples priority lists. Contracts aren’t cheap and the 0% finance plans still come in at £50 a month before a data plan is factored in. It’s no wonder upgrades are down as you just don’t need to spend that sort of money to get an equally capable smartphone in 2023.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
The Pro models are certainly not the ones ‘everybody’ wants

I didn’t say everybody, so please don’t misquote me lol. I said they are the phones people want, as in most, as backed up by sales figures and demand.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017

Would you really consider this a "slight increase" in demand? This is a very healthy increase year over year.
The new rear cameras and pill cutout likely contributed to demand. Since Apple will only offer triple rear lenses on the Pro models, demand is likely to be sustained this year.

The Plus is clearly here to stay given its improved sales performance over the mini.

Apple cares about profit and revenue. It's what they report to shareholders and what shareholders care about. If Apple cared about getting phones into as many hands as possible, they would still be selling 4G phones.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The new rear cameras and pill cutout likely contributed to demand. Since Apple will only offer triple rear lenses on the Pro models, demand is likely to be sustained this year.
The processor too, of course. I'm a Pro customer for the camera, but a lot of people don't care about that. They do play games though...

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I didn’t say everybody, so please don’t misquote me lol. I said they are the phones people want, as in most, as backed up by sales figures and demand.

I don’t agree, very few people I know use Pro iPhones and I’m one of the very few in my circles. iPhones at a semi sinks price is what is backed up by sales and demand.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Would you really consider this a "slight increase" in demand? This is a very healthy increase year over year.

The Plus is clearly here to stay given its improved sales performance over the mini.

Apple cares about profit and revenue. It's what they report to shareholders and what shareholders care about. If Apple cared about getting phones into as many hands as possible, they would still be selling 4G phones.

Absolutely a slight increase. I’m yet to see a 14 Pro actually being used anywhere except the Apple shop. I’m giving flippant answers now as I can’t be bothered btw. I can’t say what I really want to.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
22% is not a “slight” increase though, it’s a fair volume of units sold.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.