Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I upgraded to the iPhone 13 recently or else I would have bought the 14 Plus. I dont understand why this one does not sell well. Not everyone can afford the Pro models.

Reactions: Scarrus

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I believe it isn't selling well because of the price point/features ratio. The plus model is $100 more than the non-plus model with the only benefit being a larger screen and a little more battery, but for $100 more you can get the Pro with the added benefits of the Pro model over the non-pro. You have to remember too, the majority don't buy iPhones for full retail cost, it is split whether it is through Apple, Carrier, Credit Card, whatever method used they didn't take cash or a debit card and pay full retail cost. So if you take the $200 difference between the 14 and and 14 pro or the 14 plus and the 14 pro max and split into 12-24 month payments it is hardly noticeable.

The 14 plus is just the unfortunate middle child, is isn't priced terribly (Apple has done worse price points) but given the options and how the majority purchase their phones it doesn't make sense for most.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I believe it isn't selling well because of the price point/features ratio. The plus model is $100 more than the non-plus model with the only benefit being a larger screen and a little more battery, but for $100 more you can get the Pro with the added benefits of the Pro model over the non-pro. You have to remember too, the majority don't buy iPhones for full retail cost, it is split whether it is through Apple, Carrier, Credit Card, whatever method used they didn't take cash or a debit card and pay full retail cost. So if you take the $200 difference between the 14 and and 14 pro or the 14 plus and the 14 pro max and split into 12-24 month payments it is hardly noticeable.

The 14 plus is just the unfortunate middle child, is isn't priced terribly (Apple has done worse price points) but given the options and how the majority purchase their phones it doesn't make sense for most.
I hope they keep it around for the 15 models or lower the price of it.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I can’t imagine Apple would discontinue or omit the Plus model in the next lineup. They don’t like to look like they screwed up.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Here is where I read about the possible price adjustment

Seems reasonable. Apple to can do a $50 cut for iPhone 15 models and a $100 increase for the Pro models.

This will result in a $350 gap between the 15 Plus and 15 Pro Max. Right now, the gap is only $200.

Combined with the Dynamic Island that everybody wants, it'll boost sales for sure.

Reactions: VineRider

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I swapped my iPhone 14 for a 14+ and I’m loving it. Mainly for the bigger screen & better battery life. Felt big at first lol but have gotten used to it quickly.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I read somewhere that they may be thinking about adjusting the price point of the non-pro models so hopefully it will stay around.

The smartphone market as a whole suffered its fifth successive decline at the end of last year. I think with the cost of living skyrocketing across the developed world, people are less inclined to buy expensive smartphones. The 14 Plus was overpriced for what it offers and the Pro models have just gone ridiculously high by contrast. Expect to see all models suffering lesser demand over the next few years unless pricing comes down to realistic levels.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yeah I have had a 14 PM and hate the weight every day! I don't know how people don't mind it lol...

Reactions: James6s

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Because the price is high and only a few dollars from the new iPhone pro with stand out features. Essentially apple doesn’t want you to buy the plus they want to upsell you to the pro.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I have a 13 pro max and a 14 plus. I enjoy them equally, the 14 plus has become my daily driver and the 13 pro max my backup.

I think the 14 plus is selling well. Apple has 4 variants of new iPhone, those can’t all have the first spot. Not even counting the previous generation.
14 plus is nice so light and easy on hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.