Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
If you use one of the carrier offers of $1000 towards the 15 PM, or you have lots of disposable income, then yes. Otherwise, it's not a good idea, but you may still do it anyway to enjoy shiny, incrementally better things to desperately try to fill the void in your core of an unfulfilled life. Or you just like to enjoy some nice tech. 😆 Personally, no purple, no deal. (and I'm baffled by people that consider 19g a significant amount of weight)

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Not really. For the first time ever the difference isn't enough to justify it. Action button, eh. Bezels are hardly noticeable, lighter...big deal at this point. Camera updates, the 14PM is great

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I hadn't planned on it, but if they don't extend the roadside service thing to the 14 pro via firmware that might be enough for me to upgrade since it's something I could use.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I've yet to found any answer, do they finally increase the RAM for the 15 pro phones? If not, I'll definitively stick to my 13 PM

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
This is the question I have been asking myself. Some of the updates are exciting but as I did more research it’s been more questionable.

No doubt the iPhone 15 Pro Max is a great phone. But as a 14 pro max user the design is largely the same.

The new 5X camera on the Pro Max, video camera improvements, A17 chip ( for gaming) are my biggest wants. Don’t really care about USB-C at this point or the titanium body.

We will see… but I am leaning more toward waiting until the iPhone 16

Reactions: iHeartsteve

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
For video creators/YouTubers who use the iPhone as their camera, yes it's a good upgrade.

Better camera with better zoom, night time performance, etc. is always a welcome upgrade. Ability to do Spatial (3D) videos could be useful for some as well.

The biggest upgrade is USB-C speeds for file transfer which will save A TON of time getting raw footage off of the phone into the computer. This alone would have made the upgrade worth it for some heavy users.

I might have read something that you can now also record directly onto an external storage drive. If true, that is also a game changer for content creators.

Imagine recording right onto an external SSD, plugging that in for editing, and not having to deal with managing iCloud storage or having "work" videos clog up your personal account. Huge convenience and time saver.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
So it is not worth it, that is why we decided to play our cards differently this year.
I will take wife's 14PM to myself cause 650 is a robbery and just switch to it from my old 11 - pretty much a big upgrade.
Buy outright 15 PM for wife - cause this is a great deal for fresh buyers with no trade ins.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I still believe that you should only upgrade if you are using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and older... Why iPhone 12 Pro Max? It got 5G connectivity but lower battery capacity...

Some features available in 15 Pro Max that I wish I have access to:
A17 Pro
8GB RAM
USB 3.0
5x telephoto camera
24MP HEIF/ProRAW
48MP HEIF
Smart HDR 5
ProRes 4K60

After watching the Apple 2023 video, even though there are things introduced in iPhone 15 Pro Max that I believe should have been introduced in iPhone 14 Pro Max, I'm not going to upgrade...

I'll stay on iPhone 14 Pro Max because:
I don't really care that much about USB Type C connector
Anything in between 1x and 5x will be digital zoom
I'm still okay with AirDrop as my primary data transfer method
I have yet to record a ProRes 4K video
I don't play games anymore whether on mobile or desktop

I'm keeping a smartphone with a 3.5mm headphone jack [Galaxy S10+] yet I'm okay with data transfer via AirDrop...

Last edited:

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
That's what I'm doing and yes. I love upgrading every year. I'm excited about 4K60FPS cinematic mode and 5X optical zoom, among other things.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Honestly do you think it’s a good idea?
This is a highly subjective question.

For some, it won't be. For others, it will. It all depends on what is valuable to you.

For me? I upgrade annually and am never disappointed. I don't expect massive changes when doing the yearly upgrade, but each year my experience gets that much better. Which, for a device I use almost constantly through the day, every day, is of value to me. :)

geek1981

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
I'm switching from 14PM to 15 Plus for the extra battery life. My 14PM battery health is currently 87%, so battery life is king for me now :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.