Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Saw there is already a thread for the Pro Max and i thought it would be better to have one for the Pro to not mess things there.
That's being said, i got mine yesterday afternoon (coming from an iPhone 12PM), and so far i'm pretty disappointed about the battery life. Have to mention that i set it up as new, no restore from backup.

LE: AOD on
IMG_0052.PNG

Last edited:

Tyrone91

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2022
I am also quite disappointed in the 14 pros battery life so far! Also set it up as new figuring the fresh start would be nicer.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
That actually looks good to me! And don’t forget the first few days usually are battery draining. There’s a lot of stuff going on in the background. My Pro Max is draining fast too. Also I do think iOS 16 needs some tweaking. Our older phones are draining fast now too.
Maybe im disappointed because i was used to the pro max.
I also know that it takes some days to settle..but it was set up as new, so im not sure what it can index/sync.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I also know that it takes some days to settle..but it was set up as new, so im not sure what it can index/sync.
I’m not sure, either. But it’s something I’ve gone through with all of my phones, even Android ones set up as new. It always seems to improve after a few days. Occasionally it takes a couple of weeks, though, on Android because those phones have to “learn” usage patterns to optimize battery use.

And yeah compared to a Pro Max, unfortunately “this is the way”. I have gone from a 13 Pro to a 14 Pro Max. I can see the difference.

Well give it a few days and if you’re still unhappy, maybe if you’re able, think about going back to the Max or consider the MagSafe battery. I hope, though, that it improves to where you’re happy. Keep us posted!

Reactions: davedvdy and kvlq

0kwhyn0t

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
That actually looks good to me! And don’t forget the first few days usually are battery draining. There’s a lot of stuff going on in the background. My Pro Max is draining fast too. Also I do think iOS 16 needs some tweaking. Our older phones are draining fast now too.
I'm coming from a 13 Pro (to a 14 Pro) and I wholeheartedly agree with the last few lines you wrote. As soon as iOS 16 hit my 13, boom...battery shot straight down. Same on the 14. Hopefully some software tweaks will mitigate this issue. Because at the moment, Apple's claim of 14 battery lasting longer than 13 is false.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I have a 14 Pro still sitting in the box and this was one of my concerns coming from a 13 Pro Max. I’m still undecided if I want to open it and set it up or just return it. My 13 PM is still really good I was just wanting to downsize to a smaller device. But, looking at the battery tests the 14 Pros are doing worse than the 13 Pros, I didn’t expect that to happen so I wonder if it’s a software issue that can be fixed with an update?

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
not seen any comparisons on 13 pro vs 14 pro on youtube yet ? mrwhostheboss has done the current lineup on sale so missed the pros out

anyone coming from 13 pro to 14 pro notice much difference ?

0kwhyn0t

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
I have a 14 Pro still sitting in the box and this was one of my concerns coming from a 13 Pro Max. I’m still undecided if I want to open it and set it up or just return it. My 13 PM is still really good I was just wanting to downsize to a smaller device. But, looking at the battery tests the 14 Pros are doing worse than the 13 Pros, I didn’t expect that to happen so I wonder if it’s a software issue that can be fixed with an update?
I was in the same position last year when moving from the 12 Pro Max to 13 Pro. Battery life was kinda crappy for the first two to three weeks (esp coming from a Max) but then it settled down. I am able to comfortably get a full day out of the 13 Pro (email, web, Sirius xm streaming, and some phone calls). I use it on the heavier side, so I'd say open up that 14 Pro and enjoy it. You have 14 days from receipt and there's no restocking fee so give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose, but do have a little patience with that battery at first :-D

0kwhyn0t

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
not seen any comparisons on 13 pro vs 14 pro on youtube yet ? mrwhostheboss has done the current lineup on sale so missed the pros out

anyone coming from 13 pro to 14 pro notice much difference ?
I did the 13 Pro to 14 Pro transition. After playing with it for a solid 24 hours, at the moment I would recommend anyone who's happy with their 13 Pro to hang onto it. The dynamic island is fine and fun but it's very limited at this time (it will be in full swing next year I'm sure!), the screen is very similar except for max brightness, and supposedly the 5G chipset and antennas have been improved since going to Qualcomm. Right now my Always-on-display is taking up extra battery so I turned it off. Might try it again in a few weeks once things settle.

It's an 'S' cycle upgrade IMO. If you have the money, grab a new one. If you don't or are on the fence for financial reasons, you're not missing out. The Verge and other reviewers agreed on the camera -- not a huuuuge difference but they are enjoying the 48MP ProRAW (up to 80MB file size though); you may enjoy some of their reviews.

Overall, familiar hardware with some small improvements, and certainly familiar software. Hope this kinda helps!

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I did the 13 Pro to 14 Pro transition. After playing with it for a solid 24 hours, at the moment I would recommend anyone who's happy with their 13 Pro to hang onto it. The dynamic island is fine and fun but it's very limited at this time (it will be in full swing next year I'm sure!), the screen is very similar except for max brightness, and supposedly the 5G chipset and antennas have been improved since going to Qualcomm. Right now my Always-on-display is taking up extra battery so I turned it off. Might try it again in a few weeks once things settle.

It's an 'S' cycle upgrade IMO. If you have the money, grab a new one. If you don't or are on the fence for financial reasons, you're not missing out. The Verge and other reviewers agreed on the camera -- not a huuuuge difference but they are enjoying the 48MP ProRAW (up to 80MB file size though); you may enjoy some of their reviews.

Overall, familiar hardware with some small improvements, and certainly familiar software. Hope this kinda helps!
wasn't going to tbh only half way through a contract so the 15 is highly likely :)

just interested to see how much the battery has improved - I'm guessing in the pro's hour and a half at most

Reactions: 0kwhyn0t

0kwhyn0t

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
wasn't going to tbh only half way through a contract so the 15 is highly likely :)

just interested to see how much the battery has improved - I'm guessing in the pro's hour and a half at most
Too soon to tell for the battery I believe, at least for me. iOS 16 has made battery life for both 13 and 14 a fair amount worse than iOS 15, so we may have to wait a few updates to really understand whether battery is better. I sure hope it is :-D

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Not sure what’s going on. My iPhone 14 pro max was at 100% at 5:30 am. I took it off the charger and used it sparingly. I ran some errands and I just happened to look at the battery and it’s showing 23% at 11 am 😳
On your battery stats on settings, anything unusual that you see that may be lurking in the background?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Jamielynn.85

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
On your battery stats on settings, anything unusual that you see that may be lurking in the background?
No, nothing that looks out of the norm. I’m hoping it just needs a couple days to adjust. I feel like I go through this every time, how quickly I forget lol. I will keep a close eye on it.

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
US
Yeah, mine drained pretty fast yesterday but I'm assuming that's because doing so much in the background/downloading data/etc.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
yes indeed, same case here had the pro... battery was sucky!

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Indexing is a thing but looking at some of the graphs you guys have shared, the drain is rather drastic. Whenever I switched iPhones, the first couple of days of indexing don’t drain much. The gradient is rather gradual.

In my opinion, I think it’s part of Apple’s plan to reduce/increase battery life every other year. Before I get called out for speculation and being a conspiracy theorist, here’s what I can back up with.

The iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max had tremendous battery life when they first came out. Best battery life ever at that point. Sadly the 12 Pro/Pro Max were downgrades in that aspect. A year later, the 13 Pro/Pro Max had major improvements in battery life. And this year it seems like we are following the cycle.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
It makes sense and i even read the same thing somewhere else...but i hope it's just an assumption and it's not true.
Let's see in some days.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Indexing is a thing but looking at some of the graphs you guys have shared, the drain is rather drastic. Whenever I switched iPhones, the first couple of days of indexing don’t drain much. The gradient is rather gradual.

In my opinion, I think it’s part of Apple’s plan to reduce/increase battery life every other year. Before I get called out for speculation and being a conspiracy theorist, here’s what I can back up with.

The iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max had tremendous battery life when they first came out. Best battery life ever at that point. Sadly the 12 Pro/Pro Max were downgrades in that aspect. A year later, the 13 Pro/Pro Max had major improvements in battery life. And this year it seems like we are following the cycle.
I don’t know if I’d call it a plan more of a prioritizing of features. At least Apple listened when we complained about bad battery life and increased the size. I agree that there seems to be a pattern here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.