Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metalblaze

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi - I have been with T-Mobile for over a decade, and have typically opted for EIP for prior iPhone purchases. Never bought it outright...although have always thought about it.

Anyone care to share their views/experiences about buying outright vs. EIP?

Cheers!

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
I always buy outright. It might not be the smartest move, financially speaking. I really don’t know because I’ve not subsidized a phone in 15 years. If there’s interest, I’m not paying it. If there’s some binding commitment to a specific carrier, I’m not entering into it. If I must change from my legacy plan to some new plan in order to take advantage of a subsidized upgrade offer, I’m not doing it.

My phones are my property the minute they come out of the box. If I want to sell them, I can.

I’m not saying what I do is the right way. It’s just what I do.

Reactions: QuietGamer

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I’ve been weighing that out as well. I was originally planning to buy it outright but then I got to reconsidering. I can either trade my Note 20 Ultra and get $800. $315 will be a one time bill credit and the rest will be spread over 24 months. Or I have a Note 8 that I can trade for $400, if I want to keep the Note 20. $50 would be a one time credit with the rest spread out over the 24 months. I just moved to t-mobile a couple of months ago. The only other choice where I am at is Verizon and I left them because I got sick of the never ending rate increases for subpar service. So I lose nothing by going through t-mobile and save a bunch. If I did move on for some reason, I would just have to pay whatever remained on the phone. If I were getting an android phone, I would pay extra to have a non-carrier phone because they can add garbage apps and modify the OS in any way they’d like. For instance, Verizon removed all of the native Samsung call blocking features on my Note 20 so that they could sell their anti-spam service for an additional amount. And they included a bunch of crap games that could be hidden but not uninstalled. I am assuming that carriers are not permitted to do that to iPhones.

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Depends on the flexibility you want. I’d say carrier financing is going to be a poor option when done directly through T-Mobile. Your phone will be network locked, making switching carriers later more difficult; however, you get promo pricing on top of trade-in. That said, T-Mobile EIP when done through Apple.com is slightly better because you should be receiving an unlocked phone and you still get the promo pricing. But, you’re tied to your carrier and lose promo bill credits if you pay off the phone early to switch carriers. If you don’t mind missing out on promos and only taking a trade-in value credit, there is also the option of 0% financing directly through Apple (Apple Card, iPhone Upgrade Program). Personally, I find one-time payment the worst option. Unless you’d consider yourself poor with money management and need to spend cash as soon as it comes in, all of the financing options are 0% with $0 fees.

buckethead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Hi - I have been with T-Mobile for over a decade, and have typically opted for EIP for prior iPhone purchases. Never bought it outright...although have always thought about it.

Anyone care to share their views/experiences about buying outright vs. EIP?

Cheers!
We always do EIP through T-Mobile. Folks talk about being locked to a carrier that way as a bad thing, but we’ve been with T-Mobile for 20 years with no plan to change. Especially with the rate we have for 8 lines…. It really surprises me how much folks talk about changing carriers - do they really switch that often though?

This time we tried to do it through Apple, but the process was brutal and orders would not go through. So we ended up ordering online with T-Mobile. Sure we are paying $15ish more monthly because T-Mobile gives the trade in value up front instead applying ot to the eip like Apple. But this means we will not have a bill for 4ish months also from T-Mobile. We could pay in full up front, but 0% interest loan…..

You cannot go wrong either way though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.