Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
I’m sure I’m not the only one. I got my iPhone 14 Pro (downsized from the 12 Pro Max) and also a Spigen Magsafe compatible case. I have a folding MagSafe Spigen charger and it seems the bump from the Spigen case doesn’t clear to lay flat. I suspect if I gotten a Max iPhone I would not have this issue. I guess I could either get new stands or try to find a new case. Or…remove the case when I use these stands.

Looking for suggestions.

I’ve attached 2 pics:

1. Spigen Case not fitting flush on sand:
2. MagSafe itself showing you how much room there is if you are using the Spigen MagSafe Case

Here is the MagSafe Stand I’m using.

Attachments

• 76E7E45A-FB87-492E-9DD3-ACD6D2DD520D.jpeg
    76E7E45A-FB87-492E-9DD3-ACD6D2DD520D.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 483
  • 98A02B06-19A2-4207-9216-B4D000D1E8F5.jpeg
    98A02B06-19A2-4207-9216-B4D000D1E8F5.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 192

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I may try this…but the misspellings have me paused :confused:

SUPERONE Stand for MagSafe Charger, Foldable Magsafe Charger Stand Aluminum Charging Dock Holder Cradle for iPhone 14 13 12 Pro/Max/Mini/Plus, [MagSafe Charger Not Included] https://www.amazon.com/SUPERONE-Foldable-Adjustable-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B08PCNKS1X
How is that one?

This is my stand:

611lG5zMeWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It works fine with my iPhone 12 Pro Max with Apple OEM leather case:

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

However, the ESR case with kickstand for the 14 Pro Max doesn't fit it. Granted, the bezel around the camera bump on this case is bigger than usual because that's where the kickstand is located, but it looks like the stand wouldn't work with other cases either.

IMG_7095.jpeg

IMG_7097.jpeg

zxcorr

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
Hi. I joined this forum because I was so compelled to discuss this issue!

I'm having the same problem as well. These stands/covers/mounts also do not work:
  • Spigen MagFit case cover for MagSafe charger
  • Elago MS3 and MS4
I think the maximum diameter for a 14 Pro with a case to sit flush is just a few mm's more than the actual MagSafe puck.

So if you see there's another "ring" outside of the slot for the puck in about the same thickness as the metal part/outer circle of the puck, it very likely won't fit.

The Nomad leather case for the puck works fine. But it's just a case, not a stand. Another example is the ESR HaloLock power bank - it works/phone sits flush.

If anyone finds a good stand that works, please let us know!

Reactions: EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Even Apple's own MagSafe Duo Charger doesn't fit the 14 Pro.

MagSafe-Duo-Charger-iPhone-14-Pro-1.jpg

When Apple launched iPhone 13 Pro last year, some users noticed that the device didn’t fit well with Apple’s MagSafe Duo charger when the phone is in a case because of the larger camera module. With iPhone 14 Pro, the rear camera is even bigger, and this has become an even more noticeable issue for those who have a MagSafe Duo charger.

The problem doesn’t affect iPhone 14 Pro Max owners even though the phone also has a larger camera module, given that the device is considerably taller than the regular Pro model.

Reactions: zxcorr

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What is the maximum diameter acceptable for a MagSafe stand, for say the iPhone 14 Pro MagSafe case? For the 14 Pro Max ESR case with kickstand (which has a wider camera bump protector than a typical 14 Pro Max MagSafe case, because of the kickstand), it looks like the maximum diameter it can support is about 63 mm or perhaps a touch over that. The MagSafe charger itself is I believe 55.5 mm.

The width of my current stand is about 73 mm, which is far too big for this case.

EDIT:

Another way I can ask this question is, how far is the MagSafe ring on the iPhone 14 Pro clear case from the camera bump? If it is say 4 mm away, and the MagSafe charger is 55.5 mm, that means the biggest charger it can accommodate is 55.5 + 2x4 mm = 63.5 mm

Last edited:

zxcorr

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
What is the maximum diameter acceptable for a MagSafe stand, for say the iPhone 14 Pro MagSafe case? For the 14 Pro Max ESR case with kickstand (which has a wider camera bump protector than a typical 14 Pro Max MagSafe case, because of the kickstand), it looks like the maximum diameter it can support is about 63 mm or perhaps a touch over that. The MagSafe charger itself is I believe 55.5 mm.
I just did another check. It depends on the case as well.

For example, Elago MS3 MagSafe Stand has a silicone outer wrapper (4.2mm wide) which makes the overall diameter to be about 64.2mm. MagSafe puck’s diameter is about 55.8mm. So 55.8 + (4.2 × 2) = 64.2.

My Nomad Sport case doesn’t sit flush on it - its camera module height is 42.5mm. But the Apple silicone case does - its camera module height is 41.9mm.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
This is not a problem for any case or any stand. To solve the problem just place self-adhesive rubber bumpers or feet under the MagSafe charger making it stick out a little bit from the face of the stand. All the stands that I've used have held the charger securely enough even with it sticking out so that there's no possibility that it would fall out. If there is a concern that the charger will fall out double sided foam tape would also work to project the MagSafe charger further out from the face of the stand. The iPhone will then stand out clear of the stand. Believe me the phone is held securely and safely.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My car mount for the MagSafe charger has a holder that's about 3 mm wider on each side than the charger, so its overall diameter is ~61 mm. Fits the ESR kickstand case perfectly.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
ESR is now advertising some of their Halolock magnetic mounts in a unique way on Amazon.

ESR HaloLock MagSafe Car Phone Mount, Compatible with iPhone 14/14 Plus/14 Pro Max and 13/12 Series, Dashboard and Air Vent Phone Holder, Does Not Support Charging, Not for iPhone 14 Pro, Black

zxcorr

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
ESR is now advertising some of their Halolock magnetic mounts in a unique way on Amazon.

ESR HaloLock MagSafe Car Phone Mount, Compatible with iPhone 14/14 Plus/14 Pro Max and 13/12 Series, Dashboard and Air Vent Phone Holder, Does Not Support Charging, Not for iPhone 14 Pro, Black
Wow interesting. Good for them because I think that’s the right thing to do. But sucks for iPhone 14 Pro owners that we have this issue to begin with.

PhatRS

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2014
I’m sure I’m not the only one. I got my iPhone 14 Pro (downsized from the 12 Pro Max) and also a Spigen Magsafe compatible case. I have a folding MagSafe Spigen charger and it seems the bump from the Spigen case doesn’t clear to lay flat. I suspect if I gotten a Max iPhone I would not have this issue. I guess I could either get new stands or try to find a new case. Or…remove the case when I use these stands.

Looking for suggestions.

I’ve attached 2 pics:

1. Spigen Case not fitting flush on sand:
2. MagSafe itself showing you how much room there is if you are using the Spigen MagSafe Case

Here is the MagSafe Stand I’m using.

Did you ever find anything?

Same thing has happened to me. Apple's 14Pro design has created a mountain of waste in 3rd party products that aren't compatible any more.

PhatRS

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2014
This is not a problem for any case or any stand. To solve the problem just place self-adhesive rubber bumpers or feet under the MagSafe charger making it stick out a little bit from the face of the stand. All the stands that I've used have held the charger securely enough even with it sticking out so that there's no possibility that it would fall out. If there is a concern that the charger will fall out double sided foam tape would also work to project the MagSafe charger further out from the face of the stand. The iPhone will then stand out clear of the stand. Believe me the phone is held securely and safely.

Brilliant idea! I'll give that a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.