Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjro9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Hello all,

I'm currently an iPhone 12 Pro user and typically upgrade every 2-3 years. I've never sold or traded in a previous iPhone as I usually give my old phone to a family member or friend.

What kind of depreciation can I expect on the 14 Pro (base model) if I were to buy it now and sell or trade it in September/October timeframe when the iPhone 15 Pro comes out, assuming it's in great condition?

Are we talking like losing 25%-40% of its initial value?

I was planning on getting the iPhone 15 Pro as my next upgrade, but I'm headed to Ireland for the first time early this summer and was thinking about picking up the iPhone 14 Pro for the camera upgrade, so I don't have to lug around my mirrorless + lens. Also, important to note, I recently dropped my iPhone 12 Pro and broke a lot of the back glass and scratched up some of the camera lens. It still works but occasionally I notice the clarity isn't the best. That's another driver of grabbing something early for the trip.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Hello all,

I'm currently an iPhone 12 Pro user and typically upgrade every 2-3 years. I've never sold or traded in a previous iPhone as I usually give my old phone to a family member or friend.

What kind of depreciation can I expect on the 14 Pro (base model) if I were to buy it now and sell or trade it in September/October timeframe when the iPhone 15 Pro comes out, assuming it's in great condition?

Are we talking like losing 25%-40% of its initial value?

I was planning on getting the iPhone 15 Pro as my next upgrade, but I'm headed to Ireland for the first time early this summer and was thinking about picking up the iPhone 14 Pro for the camera upgrade, so I don't have to lug around my mirrorless + lens. Also, important to note, I recently dropped my iPhone 12 Pro and broke a lot of the back glass and scratched up some of the camera lens. It still works but occasionally I notice the clarity isn't the best. That's another driver of grabbing something early for the trip.
You will likely lose around 25-30% of what you paid in a private sale and around 40-50% in a trade in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.