Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jgpsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
My iPhone 14 Pro Max was completely unresponsive on the charger this morning with a black screen.

It did not respond to touch or to long presses of the home button. I forced a restart using volume up, volume down then holding the sleep/wake button for about 20 seconds until the Apple logo appeared. Battery was at 80%.

Couldn’t see anything specific in the logs. The phone is running 16.0.2 and, according to the battery charging record in Settings, it looks like the crash happened between 1am and 3am. It was on a Belkin wireless charger at the time.

A quick search on Reddit has shown a number of people describing similar behaviour in iOS 16 with the 14 Pro’s. I couldn’t find anything similar here, so thought I would ask the question.

Anyone here encountered this issue? It seems pretty major: I rely on my phone for overnight on calls and can’t have outages like this!

alverse

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
This happened to me and I was using my apple charger. The crazy thing is, I was using my phone when it happened. The screen just went black and I thought I just needed to unlock it even though I have AOD enabled but it wouldn't do anything. I had to google how to do a hard reset being as this is my first iphone. I'm learning that there are quite a few bugs that I've encountered so far. I have also had Chrome become unresponsive when playing a video and the notifications on the lock screen completely glitch out. I wasn't expecting this from ios, coming from android. I always kind of knew that there had to bugs and quirks but people just minimized them in defending their choice of mobile OS. Android people do the same thing. Now I'm beginning to see first hand that neither os is "better" its just a matter of preference.

Reactions: negative_

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
This happened to me and I was using my apple charger. The crazy thing is, I was using my phone when it happened. The screen just went black and I thought I just needed to unlock it even though I have AOD enabled but it wouldn't do anything. I had to google how to do a hard reset being as this is my first iphone. I'm learning that there are quite a few bugs that I've encountered so far. I have also had Chrome become unresponsive when playing a video and the notifications on the lock screen completely glitch out. I wasn't expecting this from ios, coming from android. I always kind of knew that there had to bugs and quirks but people just minimized them in defending their choice of mobile OS. Android people do the same thing. Now I'm beginning to see first hand that neither os is "better" its just a matter of preference.

FWIW, I have experienced none of these issues with my 13 Pro Max running iOS 16 (at least not so far), so it seems it may not solely be the OS here but how it's interacting with the specific hardware (14 Pro Max).

T0m0

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I also have this problem with an iPhone 13 Pro and the Apple USB charger.
In the evening you plug the iPhone into the charger and the next morning it no longer responds to the buttons and only shows a black screen.

This has happened three times since the update to iOS 16. Both with 16.0 and now with 16.0.2.

Jgpsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
FWIW, I have experienced none of these issues with my 13 Pro Max running iOS 16 (at least not so far), so it seems it may not solely be the OS here but how it's interacting with the specific hardware (14 Pro Max).
Yes, that’s a pretty balanced assessment. Significant iOS bugs usually get some intensive input over the first month or two after a major OS release, but you can never escape them entirely.

Jgpsolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2017
Agree. Always-on display and dimming curves were queried in one article I read. Seen a few with 13’s who are also affected. Majority of posts are the 14 Pro’s.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Happened to me too when I was on my vacation last week with an upcoming trip, which I almost missed due to the phone being „off“.
iPhone 14 Pro Max running 16.0.2

magicmanAG

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2014
Happened to me this AM. 14 Pro on iOS 16.0.2. Quite concerning because alarms wouldn’t go off - had to do a soft reset to get it back to life. I had it in sleep focus mode and on a wireless charger and woke up to it completely unresponsive.

MacProMovie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
iPhone 14 Pro Black Screen of Death: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+reset+iPhone+14+Pro+black+screen

Updated 10/14/22:

At about 12:10AM, my iPhone 14 Pro Max screen went black and even a forced restart: Up Vol then Down Vol then Hold Side for 50 seconds until it restarts, didn't restart it to the screen. The screen stayed dead, although the phone was working (vibration feedback and tones).

Connected it to the Mac and did an update. Didn't take because it was a beta firmware. Did a complete restore and then booted to a black screen. The screen is dead. If you check around this is happening to many people. YouTube has tip videos to get around Apple's bug. Typically the forced restart combo above gets you back to a working screen.

This isn't a charger issue, this is firmware. NOTE: I was running the latest beta firmware, but the restore to 16.02 (non beta) didn't help.

Thanks Apple for destroying my night, my workday and forcing me to go to the Apple Store. My iPhone 13 Pro Max had no issues like this. And because it's an eSIM, I can't take out the sim like my iPhone 13 and put it into a backup phone that doesn't use eSIM.

Last edited:

MacProMovie

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
I updated my post above. The Apple Store has "captured" (when new hardware dies in a unique way they send it to the top engineers to find out what happened) my iPhone, and replaced it in the store free of charge.

I could have had them send me a replacement and sent them mine back. If the fault had been mine, they would have charged me for the replacement.

This cost work time, transportation and 2FA authentication rebuild!!!! :mad: But I was running beta software, so I'm cutting Apple some slack.

I've turned off Always On just in case it's a bug. But at some point I will turn it on just in case it's hardware burnout issue (before the warranty ends).

Tomasmekean

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
This happened to my wife's iPhone 14 Pro this morning. I had to do the force restart with volume up/down then wake button. She was late for work because she uses her phone as her alarm. I have not experienced this issue yet with mine but I have had another issue with the phone losing signal and just showing SOS until I reboot. I have the iPhone Pro Max. I am sure this is software related as well and they fix it with iOS 16.1.

EllZ89

macrumors member
May 15, 2019
ive had this happen to me quite a few times but not when charging (that i know of, maybe it happens during the night but i wouldnt know). also on a 14 PM. the phone appears unresponsive, cannot wake it or get the screen to turn on no matter how many clicks of the side button or strong tapping of the screen. it wakes up about a minute later.

wtmcghee

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
This happened to me as well. 14 pro. Took to Apple Store and the girl knew exactly what to do on force restart. Seemed she held down the button longer than normal to get it to restart as well.

I asked her what the fix (thinking software bug) was and she said this is the fix. I guess I looked confused as it is a brand new phone and I asked again. And she just said the same thing, to use this as a “work around.”

The fact there’s a work around on any new phone is frustrating and annoying. iOS 16 stinks but not sure if this is an iOS or phone issue.

Hopefully they’ll roll out a real fix soon. The issue hasn’t happened since.

Reactions: capawa

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Happened to me again during a meeting today. Could‘ve ended so much worse if it happened during the night, failing to wake me up for work.

zxc0123b

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2022
This also happened to me. I got my iphone14pro have the whole night charging then it turned out to be a dealth phone with black screen. I had let it update to 16.1 hopes it works..

CyberGene

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I seem to be in a minority experiencing this on an iPhone 13 Pro Max. However it’s a relatively new phone, bought it in the end of March. Wondering if it may be due to a newer batch of batteries or battery controllers that are also being used on the iPhone 14.

gregcols

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
This happened again to me this morning for the 2nd time on my iPhone 14 Pro Max. I noticed it only charged to 76% overnight. Hopefully, it is just a software issue and not hardware.

gregcols

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
This also happened to me. I got my iphone14pro have the whole night charging then it turned out to be a dealth phone with black screen. I had let it update to 16.1 hopes it works..
I've already updated to 16.1 and it happened again to me this morning.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Happends to my 14 pro as well, screen won't wake up, sometimes it does wake up after a few minutes, sometimes not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.