Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Just got the 14 pro max and noticed a noticeably small scrape on the bottom of the phone. Really annoyed at that and would’ve definitely returned the phone, however with the device being so limited/nearly impossible to purchase rn and having no backup phone, returning the phone isn’t an option. Very frustrating. I’m wondering if any of y’all had that bad luck this launch time?

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Just got the 14 pro max and noticed a noticeably small scrape on the bottom of the phone. Really annoyed at that and would’ve definitely returned the phone, however with the device being so limited/nearly impossible to purchase rn and having no backup phone, returning the phone isn’t an option. Very frustrating. I’m wondering if any of y’all had that bad luck this launch time?

Why impossible? What iPhone did you use before?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I had a manufacture paint defect on my iPhone 14 Pro 128GB delivery on Friday. I called Apple and was told I would have to send my phone back before they would send a new one. I told the lady I can't be without a phone. She put in the notes to see if they can send me a new phone first etc. My local store had a 512GB in stock so, I ordered it last night for pickup today. It seems I got one of the last ones in the area. When I arrived at the Apple Store today, the place was packed and I heard one of the staff say no more pro or max left. I didn't intend to get the 512GB but, it's not the end of the world. At least I have a phone without a manufacture defect on the top back of the phone. It was small but, I noticed it as soon as I turned the phone over. Granted the case covered it but, I didn't want to risk a very small spot somehow turning into something bigger over time. That is the first time I remember ever receiving a phone with a cosmetic paint defect.

Reactions: Tsepz

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
It was small but, I noticed it as soon as I turned the phone over. Granted the case covered it but, I didn't want to risk a very small spot somehow turning into something bigger over time. That is the first time I remember ever receiving a phone with a cosmetic paint defect.
That and why accept flaws on a product this expensive?

Reactions: Vazor

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
That and why accept flaws on a product this expensive?
True. The Apple rep suggested I go to the store to get it fixed. I said even though I have AC+, I shouldn't have to use it one a phone with a small defect out of the box and she agreed. I get she was trying to be helpful in resolving the problem but, she couldn't even do anything. She said I would have to wait for a call from the sales department on Monday or Tuesday to talk about my phone. I just returned it today at the store when I picked up the 512GB size. Man of man the deep purple is a lovely color.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
that is the better answer, and being forced to go 512gb is rubbish lol
I wasn't forced to go 512GB. I could have kept using the 128GB this weekend and then see about getting a new one sent. I decided I wasn't interested in getting a hold put on my card if I got that far with them. Sending it back and being without a phone was not an option so, I decided to spend a $400 extra and have the phone in hand. It's not a big deal, really.

Robad

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
I had a manufacture paint defect on my iPhone 14 Pro 128GB delivery on Friday. I called Apple and was told I would have to send my phone back before they would send a new one. I told the lady I can't be without a phone. She put in the notes to see if they can send me a new phone first etc. My local store had a 512GB in stock so, I ordered it last night for pickup today. It seems I got one of the last ones in the area. When I arrived at the Apple Store today, the place was packed and I heard one of the staff say no more pro or max left. I didn't intend to get the 512GB but, it's not the end of the world. At least I have a phone without a manufacture defect on the top back of the phone. It was small but, I noticed it as soon as I turned the phone over. Granted the case covered it but, I didn't want to risk a very small spot somehow turning into something bigger over time. That is the first time I remember ever receiving a phone with a cosmetic paint defect.
I had a defect on mine.
Sending it back, they will replace it but will take them 5 weeks.

Absolute joke and shocking quality control. Really mad about it.

Attachments

• 1B1017FC-3DED-47B8-B512-53E8FCABD982.jpeg
    1B1017FC-3DED-47B8-B512-53E8FCABD982.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,497
  • 7F451556-21CD-4D57-BE4C-90C85EFB0381.jpeg
    7F451556-21CD-4D57-BE4C-90C85EFB0381.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 3,304
  • 934BC0E4-8F54-45F0-81BE-EBA99306E20F.jpeg
    934BC0E4-8F54-45F0-81BE-EBA99306E20F.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 3,455

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Mine doesn't have defects but I foolishly purchased that Belkin 50-dollar screen protector at the apple store when I was setting up my phone this past Friday. After a full day of use in my pocket, I noticed that there is a lot of lint trapped in the corner of my iPhone (where the screen protector ends near the edge of the phone). I am worried about trying to remove the screen protector to get ride of the lint/ dust. Do screen protectors leave nasty residue on the screen if you remove it?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I had a defect on mine.
Sending it back, they will replace it but will take them 5 weeks.

Absolute joke and shocking quality control. Really mad about it.
Yup. That’s bad. Try for an advanced replacement. All the phones are new. Usually it’s much quicker (if you have applecare of course). Good luck!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Mine doesn't have defects but I foolishly purchased that Belkin 50-dollar screen protector at the apple store when I was setting up my phone this past Friday. After a full day of use in my pocket, I noticed that there is a lot of lint trapped in the corner of my iPhone (where the screen protector ends near the edge of the phone). I am worried about trying to remove the screen protector to get ride of the lint/ dust. Do screen protectors leave nasty residue on the screen if you remove it?
Not at all. Every screen protector I have used basically comes off cleanly from the glass surface. Although when it comes the lint, I just use a glasses cleaning cloth and my fingernail to run along the edge. It is only like this for the first couple weeks, then it stops collecting junk. I just ride it out.

Reactions: ShadowGuardian87

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Not at all. Every screen protector I have used basically comes off cleanly from the glass surface. Although when it comes the lint, I just use a glasses cleaning cloth and my fingernail to run along the edge. It is only like this for the first couple weeks, then it stops collecting junk. I just ride it out.

Thanks I probably will just ride it out. The lint is only noticeable in direct sunlight

Robad

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Mine wasn't quite as bad as that but, it happens with mass production sometimes.
I’ve still got it, it’s getting picked up on Tuesday but it will take 5 weeks for them to replace it.

I’m in half a mine to keep it. What do you think?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yup. That’s bad. Try for an advanced replacement. All the phones are new. Usually it’s much quicker (if you have applecare of course). Good luck!

AppleCare shouldn’t make any difference in the speed of getting a replacement when it’s brand new and damaged in the box. It’s Apples fault after all, and think they’d be in serious trouble if they were prioritising people who purchased their insurance policy over those that hadn’t.

Theozz

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2015
France
I received an iPhone 14 pro with a dent on the casing. I called Apple on Saturday and they put an exchange in motion. I'm waiting for a driver from UPS today or tomorrow and as soon as they scan the return ticket, Apple will send me a new one (even though it says available from October 15).

So, you should try to call them, Apple rep told me they had stock for those cases.

Last edited:

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
My 14 pro has a scratch across the LiDAR sensor on rear camera module that I noticed on open the box so that’s going back.

Theozz

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2015
France
I received an iPhone 14 pro with a dent on the casing. I called Apple on Saturday and they put an exchange in motion. I'm waiting for a driver from UPS today or tomorrow and as soon as they scan the return ticket, Apple will send me a new one (even though it says available from October 15).

So, you should try to call them, Apple rep told me they had stock for those cases.

My iPhone 14 Pro was sent back. Now, we wait to see who's right:
- Mail stating 15 Oct
- Apple rep telling me they will send a new phone as soon as they get mine.

Hope the latter.

purinn_kun

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2022
The first batch pre-ordered White 14 Pro 256 GB. Found a scratch on the screen while I was putting on the screen protector. I am unable to provide a picture here since the screen protector is covering it up. I was thinking of returning it since I paid the full price. But I don't know if the future ones are going to have more defects though...

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
The first batch pre-ordered White 14 Pro 256 GB. Found a scratch on the screen while I was putting on the screen protector. I am unable to provide a picture here since the screen protector is covering it up. I was thinking of returning it since I paid the full price. But I don't know if the future ones are going to have more defects though...
It's a lottery game. You certainly can try and get another one and hope for a decent one. Or you could get one that could be something worse. It's just luck of the draw. If you have a screen protector and covers it up very well. I'd just call it a day and move on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.