Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
When the iOS 17.3.1 update was pushed out, the only thing I found different was that my iPhone doesn't like to sleep any more.

I cannot find any settings that interfere with sleep. But I can set my iPhone 14 Pro Max on my desk a foot away from me - and screen never goes to sleep. I can put it on a lightning charging cable -and while it will charge, the screen doesn't dim (9/10 times). I put on a MagSafe charger - same issue.

And at night, until the iOS 17.3.1 update, I could put my iPhone on the MagSafe stand horizontal/landscape, and it would immediately dim the screen and bring up a dim clock. Now it doesn't do this unless I also press the single side button. And even then, even the slightest movement, even several feet away, and it "wakes" to the wallpaper, and about half of those times, at full brightness - enough to wake me up!

Of course, if the screen doesn't go to "sleep", then it drains the battery significantly faster - so I now am keeping it on a charger when at my desk and when in my vehicle. This is nuts!

And YES, I have submitted this through the Feedback app.

Batt4Christ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
Arkansas
If you set it to 30 seconds (or turn on lower power mode which will do the same) and set your iPhone down away from you, does the screen sleep after 30 seconds?
I finally got it to function correctly. Extremely frustrating. Here is what I had to do:

1 - confirmed that the auto-lock was set to 5 minutes.
2 - set the auto-lock to "never".
3 - reboot the phone
4 - open the settings and set auto lock back to 5 minutes.

It now auto-locks correctly and immediately goes to the landscape clock when I put it on the MagSafe charger.

Reactions: kitKAC and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I finally got it to function correctly. Extremely frustrating. Here is what I had to do:

1 - confirmed that the auto-lock was set to 5 minutes.
2 - set the auto-lock to "never".
3 - reboot the phone
4 - open the settings and set auto lock back to 5 minutes.

It now auto-locks correctly and immediately goes to the landscape clock when I put it on the MagSafe charger.
What is require password set to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.